spam on the menu

rconner

I just got back from a work trip to NYC; I stayed in midtown Manhattan, on 34th street near the Empire State Building. This block (between 5th and Broadway) is known as "Koreatown" and has dozens of Korean restaurants and shops. I had breakfast at one of these restaurants this morning, and found a dish on the menu that consisted of beef, sausage, and spam sauteed in hot pepper. I did not partake, as I was looking for more carbohydrate this morning.

They tell me that spam is considered a delicacy in much of East Asia.

-- rick

It's been a long time since I've been truly starved but I recollect salt and fat featured heavily in the reveries of satiation. Bread and dripping with salt and pepper. Ð…PAMTM would be luxury past imagining. There's a haiku about it. Can't find it, have to make do with this one instead

I took Ð…PAM to work

They fired me--so be warned

It's not meant as clothes

--Tom Elliott

There's a haiku about it.

Since I don't always take my personal PowerBook with me on the road, I am often limited as to what I can do with the spam I get. So, here's my timely entry for the haiku contest:

in-box full of crap

can't find my plunger

time for a bowl of jap chae

-- rick

They tell me that spam™ is considered a delicacy in much of East Asia.

Time spent in various parts of southeastern Asia would tend to go along with that sentiment, hanging back a bit on the word 'delicacy' .... One gets out in the rural areas, there are many factors that feed into the popularity of the ЅPAMTM product. Long shelf-life, no requirement for refrigeration, portability, most (especially beef type) animals are work animals or milk providers rather then raising herds for a 'food' source. In the residential/city type places, most meat products are actually imported, thusly high priced.

The pork production plant here, smack dab in the center of the U.S., ships product to almost all continents (I don't think I could come up with where they don't ship to, but I have to assume there's a country or two not receiving shipments.) ....

As far as price goes, my budget doesn't allow for much of it. Whereas it costs $2.94 here, I usually pick up tins of Treet, which comes in at $1.00 for the same size package. No, it's not as good as ЅPAMTM, but .....

...The pork production plant here, smack dab in the center of the U.S., ships product to almost all continents (I don't think I could come up with where they don't ship to, bit I have to assume there's a country or two not receiving shipments.) ....
I'm guessing Libya, Iran ... :D - also for the sorts of reasons you can't get a BigMac in India, though a different meat product involved, different religion.
If Hormel branched out

With new meat types, we might see

Spicken, Spish, or Speef.

--Tom Elliott

Then there's Cuba.

Archived