[Resolved] SMTP Timing Out

Starting yesterday, I have been unable to use Thunderbird to send emails over the BETA Spamcop SMTP server. I have to save the email as a DRAFT and then send the message from my Webmail account.

What happens is that Thunderbird reports back after a period of time that the connection to smtp.cesmail.net has timed out. Is anybody else experiencing this? I checked the announcements and I do not see anything about an outage to the SMTP server.

Has something happened/changed to the Spamcop SMTP server?

Thanks,

Dan

Has something happened/changed to the Spamcop SMTP server?

Not that we are aware. I just tested and my message went out with no problem, but I am using the alternate port (587). Could be your ISP is blocking outgoing port 25 now?

The SpamCop SMTP is working for me, but I use port 587 because my Internet provider restricts all outbound SMTP traffic to their own servers. Perhaps your provider has just enacted similar restrictions, or are you already using port 587?

DT

The SpamCop SMTP is working for me, but I use port 587 because my Internet provider restricts all outbound SMTP traffic to their own servers. Perhaps your provider has just enacted similar restrictions, or are you already using port 587?

Interestingly, I changed the port to 587 and I am able to send messages once again.

Thanks for the advice,

Dan

Interestingly, I changed the port to 587 and I am able to send messages once again.

Likely as was mentioned, whatever network you are now on is blocking port 25 traffic except to their own SMTP servers. This is generally done to minimize the spam leaving the network via infected personal machines.

Archived