Are people not using Spamcop as much anymore?

Geek

Hi,

Just curious if some people are discouraged and stopping reporting.

My reason for this question is according to Spamcop statistics weekly chart, reporting has dropped the last little while, yet my spam, as have others, has actually increased five fold in the last week.

Stiff upper lip! We'll knockout these back-to-school-kids and their trojan infected computers quick enough! :D

Cheers!

...Just curious if some people are discouraged and stopping reporting. ...
People certainly do give up or move to other toolsets but a weekly trend (or eyeball estimation of same) is insufficient to hang your hat on. Look at longer periods, even delve into the archives - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=66548 - and see a more of the 'pattern'. spam cycles come and go - my own spam has actually dropped off in the past week so I'm not reporting as much. But yours has increased (and I'm certain mine will again - it always does).

From my perspective spam volume seems to vary on a daily / weekly basis but over the last however many years has just constantly increased. My volume had reached and was sustaining at 10K to 12K / day for several months. I recently changed my site hosting from Yahoo Small Business to HostGator and my spam level dropped to the 1K / day range in the several days following the changeover. I had thought that it would simply rise back to the pre-change levels as the new DNS info filtered around the globe but was surprised by a further drop to about 500 / day.

So I'm very happy at this point but also sure that this level won't last and I'll be back to my previous massive reporting.

Just curious if some people are discouraged and stopping reporting.

My reason for this question is according to Spamcop statistics weekly chart, reporting has dropped the last little while, yet my spam, as have others, has actually increased five fold in the last week

I claim no involvement for the information you're seeing but I can say that I turned on grey-listing recently with the result that I now only report stuff that slips past my grey-list which is significantly less than it used to be. But it also means I'm less likely to issue a false report which was my purpose.

I'm sure I haven't single-handedly caused a change in the stats :)

Andrew

Archived