Reporting forwarded spam ... anonymous?

LonelyStar

Hello together,

I have a eMail addesse at a server (khg-heidelberg.de), which forwards to my real eMail address.

Over this address, I get a lot of spam. Here is an example for one of the spam reports:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2360183696z2...7f653dea2a2e51z

Since the khg-heidelberg.de address is also one of my one, I would prefer that it is not mentioned in the spam report (similar to my own email address not being mentioned).

I send my spam in by email (using the eMail client mutt and the mutt-macros from the spamcop help pages).

What should/can I do about this?

Thanks!

Nathan

I do not see an email address for khg-heidelberg.de. I do not think that the parser is equipped to mung (not mention) anything except email addresses.

It does not make a difference, IMHO, in the long run, whether addresses are munged or not. Again, IMHO, there is nothing that can be done to mung khg-heidelberg.de and it is not important to mung it.

My $.02 USD

Miss Betsy

Since the khg-heidelberg.de address is also one of my one, I would prefer that it is not mentioned in the spam report (similar to my own email address not being mentioned).

I send my spam in by email (using the eMail client mutt and the mutt-macros from the spamcop help pages).

There's not a lot you can do...

You don't say whether you have an Email account but if you have properly registered your mail servers through the Mailhost process then you should avoid any risk to your IPs.

But in any case since your final ip is last in line it will not be identified as the source.

What you are not permitted to do is edit the headers.

Andrew

Hi, Nathan!

...If you are able to edit the body of the e-mail to remove the e-mail address before you forward it to SpamCop, IIUC you may do so. See either or both of the entries labeled "Material changes to spam" and "Material changes to spam - Updated!" in the SpamCop FAQ (there's a link to the SpamCop FAQ near the top left of virtually all SpamCop Forum pages).

...Since the khg-heidelberg.de address is also one of my one, I would prefer that it is not mentioned in the spam report (similar to my own email address not being mentioned). ...
Hello Nathan,

I have a similar arrangement with mail from an old and heavily-spammed address forwarded to a more recent address. I do not believe the old receiving domain can be suppressed, nor should it be - it is, after all, the delivery point of the spam and the critical part of the 'evidence' for spamming ISPs to investigate and eliminate the spam source, should they wish, which is the whole point of reporting.

Another point - sooner or later (and many times thereafter), no matter what you might do, that khg-heidelberg.de address will be forged as the supposed sender of spam messages. If you want to report the hundreds/thousands of misdirected bounces to the khg-heidelberg.de address which will follow, in the faint hope of 'educating' the clueless mail administrators responsible, the domain/server certainly cannot be suppressed. And there are a great many clueless administrators who urgently require education - including some in the .de TLD, co-incidentally.

It is better not to report at all, if you have concerns, but in my experience it will make no difference to the amount of spam reaching the khg-heidelberg.de address. I used 'mole' reporting for many years (which is to say no actual reports went to the spam sources) but the spam increased anyway. Once that address is on the spammers' lists it stays there - even if the address is abandoned, to give you some idea of their practices. I see that (rejections for abandoned/non-existent addresses) all the time in the misdirected bounces I receive when it is my address that is forged.

When you report you 'feed' the SC blocklist and this provides a way to keep spam out of people's inboxes (just in case, reading the above, you wonder what is the point of it all).

I have a eMail addesse at a server (khg-heidelberg.de), which forwards to my real eMail address.

Over this address, I get a lot of spam. Here is an example for one of the spam reports:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2360183696z2...7f653dea2a2e51z

Terminology issues here. Your query makes it sound as if you are asking about 'removing' an un-munged e-mail address from your spam submittal. However, your sample Tracking URL does not show an un-munged e-mail address, either in the headers or in the body.

So it must be assumed that your query is asking about the manual deletion of the header lines that include the ISP/Host/Domain of the involved e-mail servers in the handling of your e-mail. As stated in numerous previous Topics/Discussins here, newsgroup traffic over the years, the previously mentioned SpamCop FAQ and the SpamCop Wiki, mucking about in the header lines beyond munging an e-mail address is not allowed. The Domain of an involved e-mail server is not an e-mail address.

Archived