Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP is out

petzl

No problem .. alll I have to do now is toss out the money for the hardware upgrades needed to go along with the dozen+ copies of Win-XP needed to upgrade all the systems I've got sitting around here .... definitly a nogo for those laptops still running Win-3.1x (or even that old Tandy portable stuck at MS-DOS 3.2) <g>

No problem .. alll I have to do now is toss out the money for the hardware upgrades needed to go along with the dozen+ copies of Win-XP needed to upgrade all the systems I've got sitting around here .... definitly a nogo for those laptops still running Win-3.1x (or even that old Tandy portable stuck at MS-DOS 3.2) <g>
What, no punch card reader?

What, no punch card reader?

Created an amazing flashback to one of those bad war stories about the last 'card punch' machine I had the unfortunate circumstance of "being 'in charge' so the 'problem' was mine to solve" ... but this isn't the Lounge ... factoids dropped here for future expansion .. 5-ton truck, three proprety disposal yards in two states, finding the last three surviving copies of the critical manuals, rebuilding a disassembed, de-militarized, 'to be sold as scrap' machine .. ah, the glory days <g>

Seems to be a decent browser. I think they just looked at the Firefox code and implemented what they wanted. Still, it's a welcomed change - hopefully once it is fully implemented in November through auto-update, we might see a decrease in phishing and possibly better security within IE and the Windows framework.

I installed it and my system seems overall faster, I assume because IE is the backbone of the OS.

<snip>

hopefully once it is fully implemented in November through auto-update, we might see a decrease in phishing and possibly better security within IE and the Windows framework.

<snip>

...Well, maybe, but then we must consider the oft-mentioned hypothesis that inattention to security is only one of the reasons for attacks on IE/Windows -- the other being that there are so very many of us users of IE/Windows.

...Well, maybe, but then we must consider the oft-mentioned hypothesis that inattention to security is only one of the reasons for attacks on IE/Windows -- the other being that there are so very many of us users of IE/Windows.

I think XP SP2 is one of the most security conscious things MS has done to date. They implemented a built in firewall, defaulted to automatically update the OS, and warn if there is no AV or it's out of date. Those things by itself helped a lot. So, an IE with a built in phish net and security defaulted to medium high, I believe, should help more.

According to MS, by the time IE7 meets Vista, it will be a sandboxed browser. So, if the majority of the problems were caused by ActiveX (which is what is the most common trait leveled against the browser) are essentially cordoned off, it will have a significant decrease on browser installed malware. For problems from Office/Outlook, that's another story.

According to MS, by the time IE7 meets Vista, it will be a sandboxed browser. So, if the majority of the problems were caused by ActiveX (which is what is the most common trait leveled against the browser) are essentially cordoned off, it will have a significant decrease on browser installed malware. For problems from Office/Outlook, that's another story.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Unfortunately, they've shoved a new scripting language in there and enabled it by default too. Look out for XAML exploits in your future if you're not running Vista with its sandbox.

Windows Secrets story. Read the "Changing IE's profile from weak to strong" section.

I'd consider using IE7 if they had finally finished support for HTML. IE6 (and now IE7) never added support for all the HTML4 elements. The one they left out was the Q element (aka the Q tag).

HTML is the most basic web standard, and all web browsers should support it. It's just unacceptable, especially considering that it's over 6 years old, and MS was one of the organizations that created the spec.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else using IE7 and My Yahoo?

The majority of the content for My Yahoo has not updated on my home machines since 22-nov-2006. At first, I assumed this was due to the holiday, which I have seen happen other times (usually a week in the summer as well) but when I returned to work on Monday, I noticed the machine there (IE6) was fine, but the home machines are still affected.

The content that is locked that I immediately notice: Sports scores, news, a stock board feed and comics. The sports team news seem to be spotty (the Red Sox one has not, NE Patriots one is).

Because it is affectng both machines at home, I also thought about the possibility that OpenDNS was somehow caching the information and causing issues, but turning that back off has not heled either.

I have done everything I can think of (clearing cache, clearing history, deleting all Temporary files, etc.) with no results. I'm thinking it is Yahoo/IE7 mostly because the second machine had not even accessed Yahoo in months before I thought to try it on Monday and the exact same page showed up. I have tried Googling this but not finding any relevant links... mostly old stuff during the Beta.

Any thoughts.

You could be right about the IE7 issue (Yahoo answers show a couple of queries, browser not nominated and with no resolution recorded) however previewing for me with IE7 looks up to date (odd news - man shoots doe with rack of antlers - yeah, I guess most would use a bullet) - I guess that's not the same as signing on and taking feed.

You could be right about the IE7 issue (Yahoo answers show a couple of queries, browser not nominated and with no resolution recorded) however previewing for me with IE7 looks up to date (odd news - man shoots doe with rack of antlers - yeah, I guess most would use a bullet) - I guess that's not the same as signing on and taking feed.

Well, the odd news is one of the things that that is still not updating. Top Stories is working this morning and the comics I subscribe to (3 allowed) are now showing Nov 24, so something happened. Sports scores are still showing day before Thanksgiving.

Well, the odd news is one of the things that that is still not updating. Top Stories is working this morning and the comics I subscribe to (3 allowed) are now showing Nov 24, so something happened. Sports scores are still showing day before Thanksgiving.
OK - I'm lost. Got exactly the same 9h10m later, different PC, Mozilla. Top story - Bush meets Iraqi leader in Jordan today (8 minutes ago). That's an awfully long 8 minutes but it is just the demo display. answers.yahoo.com queries still unresolved.

OK - I'm lost. Got exactly the same 9h10m later, different PC, Mozilla. Top story - Bush meets Iraqi leader in Jordan today (8 minutes ago). That's an awfully long 8 minutes but it is just the demo display. answers.yahoo.com queries still unresolved.

More info. We have one person testing IE7 at work and when I logged into My Yahoo from her machine, I got the same display as I am seeing from my IE6 desktop so it is NOT IE7 specific, it is something with my connection after all. And both of them are showing yesterday's cartoons :(:)

BTW, the main www.yahoo.com page has always provided relatively updated information even during issues with my.yahoo.com.

Only thought that keeps crossing my mind is that you are dealing with a cached system somewhere that's not quite keeping up with the 'refreshed' data from the source. Whether an ALT-F5 type 'refresh' command woud help or not ????? unknown if that cache system would actually even 'see' this type of request or not ..

More info. We have one person testing IE7 at work and when I logged into My Yahoo from her machine, I got the same display as I am seeing from my IE6 desktop so it is NOT IE7 specific, it is something with my connection after all. And both of them are showing yesterday's cartoons :(:)

BTW, the main www.yahoo.com page has always provided relatively updated information even during issues with my.yahoo.com.

Try turning off "features" in "Tools" "Manage Add-ons" -->"Enable Disable Add-ons"

I disabled "Diagnose connection Problems" "Research" "Windows Messenger"

Also turned off "Phishing Filter"

Found IE7 extremely slow at default setting, but now by disabling these "features" is quite fast

I suspect that IE7 is tuned for Microsofts new VISTA operating system when it arrives

As Wazoo mentioned you may wish to turn off caching

"Tools" "Internet options" click TAB "Connections"click button "LAN settings" then try unchecking all check boxes (although "Automatically detect settings" is only one usually checked)

Thank you, I have tried all these suggestions, I have reverted one machine back to IE6 and I even grabbed a laptop from work that was updating fine there and found it is not updating fine here.

I did find that at home, every time I pull data, the source ends with: <!-- p53.my.dcn.yahoo.com compressed/chunked Wed Nov 29 18:42:10 PST 2006 --> and contains the links for 20061123 and 20061124 while the server chunking ;) (makes me smile) the data at work is p48. I have send a message to Yahoo customer care to see if things improve.

I am assuming the server presenting me data is based on my IP address because that did not change even when I went back to the OpenDNS servers from my ISP (CHarter's) servers.

My reference to caching was meant to suggest a Yahoo server (or someone else's) itting between the user's browser and the 'real' web-page (data) source .. something along the lines of Akamai .... the unknown part of that being as to just how to signal that cached system that it was out-of-date ....

My reference to caching was meant to suggest a Yahoo server (or someone else's) itting between the user's browser and the 'real' web-page (data) source .. something along the lines of Akamai .... the unknown part of that being as to just how to signal that cached system that it was out-of-date ....

Understood. My method to signal was to place a complaint with Yahoo. Nothing on the page is life threatening and I have other ways to get the information I am looking for.

• 2 months later...

Before your upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 or to Vista be sure to check out compatibility issues

See Wiki page: Microsoft Upgrades

FYI: I have only one app I have found that it specifically does not work (Webroot Spysweeper admin console). The latest OWA running on Windows 2003 works without issues. Perhaps older OWA does have problems. That being said, we have no plans to upgrade at work at this point. We are actually just completing a rollout of XP (from Win98).

Archived