"we email advertise your charity web site to 7,500,000 people. free."

R-T

Anyone else deluged with these emails?

To: [sent to each of my domain registration contact addresses]

Subject: [No Subject]

we email advertise your charity web site to 7,500,000 people. free.

ht tp://ww w.em ailmar ketingas sociates. com

That's the entire message, right there. Totally easy to find, because they never change any of the text.

Several hundred times a day, for weeks now. I own about 100 domains, so that's about two to three messages per day, per domain. These are obviously major spammers, can we kill them?

Seriously, though, I wish there was a way through webmail to have these messages automatically forwarded to spam[at]uce.gov, or to have them automatically deleted through a filter AND be reported as spam. I'd hate to set up a filter to automatically delete them, because I want them reported.

Any ideas?

Moderator edit: totally not sure why the spamvertised site 'needs' to broadcast/linked even further ... URL broken

That's the entire message, right there. Totally easy to find, because they never change any of the text.

Several hundred times a day, for weeks now. I own about 100 domains, so that's about two to three messages per day, per domain. These are obviously major spammers, can we kill them?

Seriously, though, I wish there was a way through webmail to have these messages automatically forwarded to spam[at]uce.gov, or to have them automatically deleted through a filter AND be reported as spam. I'd hate to set up a filter to automatically delete them, because I want them reported.

Any ideas?

I have broken the link to protect others. (actually Wazoo broke the link while I was typing this).

Are you talking about these ending up in your SPamCop Email account or some other, un-named system?

If SpamCop, and they are not already being caught by spamcop, you could create a local filter, but that will only work if you log into the webmail system. This filter could be made to move the messages to the Held Mail fiolder where they are easily reportable either directly from webmail (quick reporting) or via VER (quick or full reporting).

You could also use a local IMAP enabled client to do the same thing and maybe have some additional options for forwarding as well.

Not sure of just what the 'query' is about.

If it's about reporting, then a Tracking URL would help identify the problem issue.

If it's about your e-mail client, then you would have to identify that client.

If it's about your already noted SpamCop.net e-mail account, then this is in the wrong Forum section.

Further, a number of folks gave taken the time to write up FAQ entries and tutorials on the various filter setting available under that account. Have you looked at any of that data and found it lacking something?

These end up in my Held Mail folder.

There is no "problem" here, I am making an observation, and a feature request:

I am:

- Merely making the observation that there is a massive amount of spam coming from one source, one source that is sending out the same obvious email, over and over again.

- Wondering if there is a way to set up a rule within spamcop webmail which is what I use all day (I know how to set up rules in an email client that would accomplish what I want). The rule I would want is:

So, this is a feature request: the current filter rules in spamcop webmail only allow you to "delete" or "move" a message. There is no option to "report as spam" and/or "forward to."

Thanks!

There is a SpamCop.net E-mail Account Forum section.

There is a New Feature Request / Suggestion Forum section.

This is the Reporting Help Forum section.

Which would you rather this to be moved to .. the New Feature request or the E-mail account section?

Or should this be merged into your bit of rant in the last Topic you started in the Blocklist Help Forum section?

So, this is a feature request: the current filter rules in spamcop webmail only allow you to "delete" or "move" a message. There is no option to "report as spam" and/or "forward to."

As the webmail product is a commercail application, you best bet would be to request this enhancement or check whether it has already been implemented in more recent versions at:http://www.horde.org/imp/

There have already been 2 failed attempts at upgrading the application to more recent versions so JT appears to be a bit gun shy about that right now.

P.S. Have you checked the headers of these messages? Are they all from the same source (IP address) or more likely from all different IP address being controlled by the spammers.

These are obviously major spammers, can we kill them?
I have started sending a copy of my SpamCop reports to KnuJon, who make it their business to get scam operations, spamvertised sites, etc. taken down. You can tick a box on your reporting preferences, and the reports will be sent automatically. Note though that this report is only sent with "two-step" reporting, not with quick reporting. You will find several threads in these forums discussing KnuJon, and also for instance Complainterator, presented and discussed here.

If what you are asking for is completely automatic reporting of incoming mail meeting certain criteria, without any user intervention at all, I think this is very unlikely to be implemented by SpamCop, because of the very high risk of sending false reports. There are a number of threads in which posters have asked for this, and in which replies make it very clear that it won't be implemented, with explanations why not. For instance: this or this, and see this one for an interesting additional risk.

Penny

Yes R-T, I have been seeing a very large number of these hitting my domains as well. I use the SCBL for blocking on my mail servers though, so VERY few of them actually make it through to inboxes, but I see lots of them in the logs, especially to my trap addresses that are hidden in the HTML code of my website.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a few e-mails from this company. I noticed this morning the URL was a little different. instead of emailmarketingassociates, it was theemailadvertisingcompany.

Actually, I have been very successful at getting spammers shut down. The trouble is, they just open a new website and transfer their files over to it. Takes about 10 minutes and they are back in business! In order to get them shut down, it takes a lot of guts. You have to spam the FTC. OMG! Did that actually come out of my mouth? When I get several identical spams, I forward them all to spam[at]uce.gov. That gets their attention and you can normally depend on the website being closed in a day or so. Of course, you should send the FTC a letter of apology explaining that you were totally frustrated and did not know how else to get their attention ... and that you had asked the spammer to stop to no avail, ... and that you have received hundreds of identical SPAMs with fake return addresses, misleading subjects, no means to unsubscribe, and no physical address. Also, I have found if the web site has a geocities URL, Yahoo is excellent in closing them pronto! Just forward it to geo-alert[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com. Make sure when you forward to Yahoo or FTC you include full headers. Also at http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/nospam.html you will find some unique ways to deal with spammers. I stop at sending them a box of spiders, though. LOL.

If you look up the URL on http://www.who.is/ and forward the spam to anyone you can find in the listing, you can get a lot of action from the servers and registrars. Look for the server's e-mail address by their URL in whois, too. I have found sometimes it helps to tell the spammer (after you have found the real e-mail address in whois) that since they like spam so much you will be willing to list them on 300 bulk mailing lists.

There are a few suggestions for you, anyhow! I wish someone would come up with a neat buzzword for "spammers". "Spammers" seems so docile for the scumbags they really are. :excl:

kreativeconcepts.com

• 2 weeks later...

<snip> forward the spam to anyone you can find in the listing, you can get a lot of action from the servers and registrars.

They won't like getting the meat product from Hormel which is spam. You may get a lot of action from Hormel's lawyers if you don't use 'spam' lower case for unsolicited and unwanted email.

I wish someone would come up with a neat buzzword for "spammers". "Spammers" seems so docile for the scumbags they really are. :excl:

kreativeconcepts.com

So would Hormel - 'wish....someone would come up with a neat buzzword....' for spam as well as spammer!!

Miss Betsy

I wish someone would come up with a neat buzzword for "spammers". "Spammers" seems so docile for the scumbags they really are.
Oddly enough they and their precursors seem always to have been treated kindly by the language. Thinking of the door-to-door salesmen of yesteryear, once known in these parts as "canvassers", as in "Banjo" Patterson's story of 1891, The Cast-iron Canvasser. Not a term at all indicative of the anger they aroused and the despite in which they were held, as this tale makes quite clear.

Archived