Nigerian scammer nailed

rconner

See http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090316/od_uk_..._australia_scam.

LAGOS (Reuters) – A Nigerian undergraduate has been sentenced to 19 years in prison for obtaining $47,000 (33,382 pounds) from an Australian woman by convincing her over the Internet that he was 57 years old, white, and madly in love with her.

Lawal Adekunle Nurudeen met his victim on the Internet in 2007 and convinced her that he was a British widower called Benson Lawson. He said he was an engineer working in Lagos whose wife and only child had been killed in a car accident.

"See!?" he said excitedly, "You can be convicted of fraud in Nigeria! We have proof!!"

-- rick

See http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090316/od_uk_..._australia_scam.

"See!?" he said excitedly, "You can be convicted of fraud in Nigeria! We have proof!!"

Indeed, though it is (mildly) disturbing that this is characterized as OddA News by the source.

A

1. differing in nature from what is ordinary, usual, or expected.
  2. singular or peculiar in a strange or eccentric way.
  3. fantastic; bizarre. ...

• 2 weeks later...

Everytime I read about a disaster in Nigeria, I cheer. I especially loved that one where a bunch of Nigerian Fraudsters tried to cut a hole in a high pressure gas line to steal gas...

BOOM!

I think the average IQ of the country increased by .01 after that.

...Everytime I read about a disaster in Nigeria, I cheer. ...
When the upstart American colonials were revolting and the Powers That Be in Whitehall and Westminster were looking for ways to punish them a wise man said something along the lines of "I know of no instrument by which an entire people can be condemned." I remember this (though somewhat imperfectly) because I am inclined to hasty and injudicial thought myself but wish I was a better person. There's also a song - "There but for fortune (go you or I)". Ineffectual/corrupt governance, asymmetrical economy, zero social security, crushing poverty, traditional social values eroded by rapid urbanization - that is part of the picture I have of Nigeria, rightly or wrongly. Doesn't excuse criminality but might offer an explanation more textured than "downright evil".

I never had a contact with a nigerian who was not a crook.

I've read a lot of stories that have some pretty good evidence that this scammer is part of the Nigerian economy. Nigerian just makes a few token busts, but culturally the entire country is a Kleptocracy.

I never had a contact with a nigerian who was not a crook.

On the face of it your assertion is unduly prejudicial IMO.

The number cruncher in me needs to know the size of your data set? How many Nigerians have you had contact with? How many were not spammers?

For civility sake, I don't think we need to indulge in unsupportable generalities, even tongue-in-cheek.

...culturally the entire country is a Kleptocracy.
Edmund Burke was the wise man I misquoted. His exact words were "I do not know the method of drawing up an indictment against a whole people." Speech, 22 March 1775, on conciliation with America. Which displays a certain nobility of spirit. Or an Irishman's natural repugnance of English repression, though with such a Sassenach surname I would not be relying on that explanation. He also said (another time, another place) "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." If I can't get you on board with the first, at least you are supporting the second, eh? Doesn't it make you think though, if he was right about the one, he might be right about the other? :)

I've probably been contacted by 5 Nigerians a day for the last 5 years. Plus all the Nigerians who tried to rob me when I was running an Ebay biz.

When I sell junk on craigslist I get Nigerians contacting me to try and pull that overpayment scam. When I put up a profile on myspace I got Nigerians trying to run the romance scam on me.

There are times when the evil in a nation outweighs the good to such a point where the only solution condemn the entire nation. Sometimes an example has to be made... Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden, Hamburg, Baghdad, hopefully in the future Lagos.

I've probably been contacted by 5 Nigerians a day for the last 5 years. Plus all the Nigerians who tried to rob me when I was running an Ebay biz.

<snip>

...Pardon my ignorance but how did you determine that they were Nigerians?

...Pardon my ignorance but how did you determine that they were Nigerians?

The shipping address in Nigeria, wiring instructions for banks in nigeria, IP addresses that resolve to Nigeria. The few that are not nigerians where wanna be nigerians from Benin or some neighboring Kleptocracy.

Just went thru my yahoo mail box, and most of the recent spam was nigerians wanting to me to wire them $50 for the process fees on some Nigerian General who left me $750,000.

Even academia labels Nigeria as Prebendalism culture where people feel the have an entitlement to steal (in the case of Prebendalism it is the right to abuse elected/appointed offices to enrich ones own tribal groups.

The shipping address in Nigeria, wiring instructions for banks in nigeria, IP addresses that resolve to Nigeria.

<snip>

...Then do I understand correctly that your position is that no one but a Nigerian national is permitted to receive mail at a Nigerian shipping address, open a bank account at a bank in Nigeria or be assigned an IP address that resolves to Nigeria? Sorry, but for now, I'm maintaining a skeptical stance....

...Then do I understand correctly that your position is that no one but a Nigerian national is permitted to receive mail at a Nigerian shipping address, open a bank account at a bank in Nigeria or be assigned an IP address that resolves to Nigeria? Sorry, but for now, I'm maintaining a skeptical stance....

And I'm maintaining that Nigeria is a nexus for cybercrime like Somalia is is Nexus for maritime piracy.

Doesn't matter if its a Nigerian in Nigeria or Burkina Fasoian living in Nigeria.

If the people of Nigerian don't like being stereotyped... they should clean up their act.

According to the The Convention on Business Integrity...

On Wednesday, October 19, 2004, Transparency International released the annual TI ranking where Nigeria was placed on the 3rd position of being perceived as the most corrupt nation in the world.

http://www.theconvention.org/research.htm

The size of the networks is almost impossible to quantify, but authorities believe entire internet cafes have been manned around the clock by teams of scammers who are constantly on hand to reply to the countless spam emails that are the hook for their prey.

They don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn, they just scam westerners all day long.

I'm sorry friend, but an unattributed quote doesn't carry any water for me.

Not to say that you would distort the facts, (although "we" may have questioned your evaluation of them), there is no added authority to unattributed quote.

...an unattributed quote doesn't carry any water for me....
That's from the report I linked above, Lou. That was apparently the reporters' interpretation of what WA Police technology crime investigator Det-Sen. Const. Jamie McDonald was saying (note it is not actually directly attributed in the quotation of the good detective's words but cunningly inserted between direct quotes). Reporter Gary Adshead is Chief Crime Reporter for "The West Australian" IIRC. Not exactly the centre (as we like to spell it hereabouts) of the technology revolution here, but we've done more than our share of successful prosecutions of spammers, FWIW. A touch of xenophobia in the 'interpretation'? Just maybe <_< , though like the rest of this continent we are officially 'multicultural'. DW's editorializing of it however, is clearly a step further.

That's from the report I linked above, Lou.
I see it now. I guess it didn't stick from last week.

Yes, I do see 'lots' of articles about Australian success with identifying and bringing spammers to justice.

A touch of xenophobia in the 'interpretation'? Just maybe <_< , though like the rest of this continent we are officially 'multicultural'. DW's editorializing of it however, is clearly a step further.
Which was the thing that got me started in the first place 'Just maybe'.

Oh well.

Xenophobia is a dislike and/or fear of that which is unknown or are different from oneself.

Its not Xenophobia to point out that certain cultural groups tend to have an affinity for certain types of organized crime, or that certain nations tend to turn a blind eye to organized crime when the actions of such group benefit that nation's balance of payments or support that nation's Kleptocratic economy.

...Its not Xenophobia to point out that certain cultural groups tend to have an affinity for certain types of organized crime, or that certain nations tend to turn a blind eye to organized crime when the actions of such group benefit that nation's balance of payments or support that nation's Kleptocratic economy.
I'm sure many might think the same DW, just it's not polite to say it out loud and thus insult and malign the many who are undoubtedly blameless. I'll go further. It's outright vilification and would deservedly land a perpetrator in deep trouble in many jurisdictions.

Its not Xenophobia to point out that certain cultural groups tend to have an affinity for certain types of organized crime, or that certain nations tend to turn a blind eye to organized crime when the actions of such group benefit that nation's balance of payments or support that nation's Kleptocratic economy.

What is it called when you say "Everytime I read about a disaster in Nigeria, I cheer"?

-- rick

Archived