The report says server is not on the list...

dlivesay

So why is my mail being blocked?

Here is what the report says:

> Query bl.spamcop.net - 69.3.249.56

> 69.3.249.56 is h-69-3-249-56.phlapafg.covad.net

>

> Lookup another:

> (Help) (Trace IP) (Senderbase lookup)

>

> 69.3.249.56 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

>

> SpamCop has no record of this system

Now, maybe I don't understand how this system works, but unless I'm mistaken, it only blocks servers that have gotten on it's list.

Why is my mail being blocked and what do I need to do to fix this?

I had this happen to me also.

What happened is I was forwarding mail from my mailhost company to spamcop. When I reported the spam, somehow my mailhost company was being reported as well and I didn't catch it. So my mailhost company was on the blacklist, therefore all my emails were being blocked.

The first reponse is to suggest you go through the Why am I blocked (work in progress) FAQ at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=972 and see if the answer may already be provided.

You ask "why is my e-mail blocked", then show results of some IP that says that this IP is not blocked. Let's go back to the beginning ... do you have something that says "your e-mail has been blocked due to being found on the SpamCop DNSbl" ..??? If so, can you provide a copy of that blocking notice?

Unfortunately, we've got to see what was actually blocked ... the IP address is more than just a bit critical in figuring this out. Specifically, how we get from "your e-mail" to the IP you checked and found "not on the list" ...

At this moment, that IP address is not on any blocklists worth mentioning except that it doesn't have MX records.

Perhaps one of your correspondents doesn't know that spammers often forge the From: email address and got a forged spam and blocked the sender.

Or perhaps one of your correspondents doesn't want to hear from you any more.

Or perhaps your ISP fixed the problem before you opened your email.

Miss Betsy

Here is what the report says:

> Query bl.spamcop.net - 69.3.249.56

> 69.3.249.56 is h-69-3-249-56.phlapafg.covad.net

>

> Lookup another:Ā 

> (Help) (Trace IP) (Senderbase lookup)

>

> 69.3.249.56 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

>

> SpamCop has no record of this system

Now, maybe I don't understand how this system works, but unless I'm mistaken, it only blocks servers that have gotten on it's list.

What report?

What IP?

Why do you think it is 69.3.249.56?

Post the reject message with everything including the IP in the message.

The first reponse is to suggest you go through the Why am I blocked (work in progress) FAQ at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=972 and see if the answer may already be provided.

I did that. It isn't. That's why I posted here.

You ask "why is my e-mail blocked", then show results of some IP that says that this IP is not blocked.Ā  Let's go back to the beginning ... do you have something that says "your e-mail has been blocked due to being found on the SpamCop DNSbl"Ā  ..???Ā  If so, can you provide a copy of that blocking notice?

The original blocking notice appeared in a modal dialog. I did not make a screen shot of it. It contained a URL, which I typed into my browser. This opened the report I quoted in my original message. Clear enough?

Incidentally, that IP is not the address of my smtp server. I looks to be a router.

My wife later re-sent the same message and it went through without issue.

I think it's pretty clear what happened here. SpamCop erroneously blocked the message. Obviously a bug, and very annoying. spam is a nuisance, but I think in this case the cure might be as bad as the disease.

[snip]

SpamCop doesn't bounce any emails based on the SCBL. If an IP isn't listed in the SCBL then most likely there is an error at the server that is rejecting the email.

The original blocking notice appeared in a modal dialog. I did not make a screen shot of it. It contained a URL, which I typed into my browser. This opened the report I quoted in my original message. Clear enough?

Sure, you make it clear enough. However, until this very comment by you, every time a question has been asked about "why am I blocked" , there was an rejection e-mail snippet that could be offered up to demonstrate the action. That you've discovered a new method of catching some osrt of rejection notice that isn't to be found in a log file or in an e-mail is interesting, but doesn't help the analysis mode at all. You found, we found, that the IP you referenced wasn't/isn't listed .. and with no "evidence" per se, I really don't see where to go to resolve the issue.

SpamCop erroneously blocked the message.

Technically, SpamCop blocks nothing, even to it's own filtered e-mail users, and definitly not between two other e-mail systems. And the fact that no one has been able to see the referenced IP in the BL, there's no way to even back up your suggested scenario of a screw-up at SpamCop, as the alleged bounce could only have occured at the receiving end target of your e-mail, which I believe you placed somewhere other than a SpamCop e-mail server.

At this point, I can only suggest that perhaps you "typed" in a wrong IP when you copied the "modal dialog" contents.

Or perhaps one of your correspondents doesn't want to hear from you any more.

No, that's not the case, but I could do without hearing any more from you.

...Not that it means that much, since my help is not generally as useful as that of people like Miss Betsy, but with that response you have sacrificed any future help from me.

At this point, I can only suggest that perhaps you "typed" in a wrong IP when you copied the "modal dialog" contents.

Sorry, that's not the case either. I double checked it because I couldn't believe the result of the report. Besides, since the message went through successfully only minutes later, from the same smtp server, that would tend to suggest that SpamCop's action was erratic at best.

...Not that it means that much, since my help is not generally as useful as that of people like Miss Betsy, but with that response you have sacrificed any future help from me.

No problem. If you think her attitude was appropriate I don't need any responses from you either.

SpamCop doesn't bounce any emails based on the SCBL.Ā  If an IP isn't listed in the SCBL then most likely there is an error at the server that is rejecting the email.

Apparently that was the problem, but since the same message, from the same server, went through just a few minutes later, I don't think any changes were made in the configuration of that server. That's why I think there's a bug in this software.

That's why I think there's a bug in this software.

The problem is that there is no "software" on the SpamCop system that could reach and tap your e-mail from the referenced covad source to where ever the intended recipient was (you never stated) .... You allege that you saw some rejection message from somewhere that said something (and therein lies the issue in trying to resolve anything) about a rejection based on SpamCop's BL .. yet no one here, including yourself, has been able to develpp the proof that this one IP you identify was ever listed (based on the comment "SpamCop has no record of this IP" ....

The problem is that there is no "software" on the SpamCop system that could reach and tap your e-mail from the referenced covad source to where ever the intended recipient was (you never stated) .... You allege that you saw some rejection message from somewhere that said something (and therein lies the issue in trying to resolve anything) about a rejection based on SpamCop's BL .. yet no one here, including yourself, has been able to develpp the proof that this one IP you identify was ever listed (based on the comment "SpamCop has no record of this IP" ....

Okay, here is what I know: my wife tried to send an e-mail message to Villanova University. Instead of sending, the e-mail client displayed a dialog saying that her message was being blocked by SpamCop, and it presented a URL she could use to find out why. When I entered that URL in her browser it brought up the report I quoted in my original message. If SpamCop had nothing to do with it, why did the dialog say it was being blocked by SpamCop and present a URL that linked to SpamCop's reporting page?

I admit that I know very little about how SpamCop works, and I don't really want to know. I just don't like it when my communications are interfered with in this manner, and since SpamCop seemed to be taking responsibility for it, I don't like SpamCop either.

I am sorry that you were annoyed with my previous answer. At that time it didn't appear to me that spamcop was involved at all and that there was another answer to the problem of being blocked. I just presented a list of possibilities.

If SpamCop had nothing to do with it, why did the dialog say it was being blocked by SpamCop and present a URL that linked to SpamCop's reporting page?

People sometimes use the spamcop name and error message when they use other kinds of blocklists, however it is not on other blocklists (except for the MX record).

Someone mentioned early in this thread that one of the internal servers had been blocked in his case. If so, that was a mistake. Your ISP probably told spamcop and spamcop fixed it immediately.

At any rate, the only thing that spamcop does is to provide a list of IP addresses that spam comes from. Occasionally even a University or other ISP will make a mistake and allow spam to go from their servers and occasionally spamcop makes a mistake in including an IP address that should not be on the list.

Unfortunately, it is like so many other things in life where criminals get involved. Honest citizens have to provide ids and suffer other kinds of inconveniences. Spammers have caused a lot of problems. spamcop is, at least, trying to prevent spammers from operating and usually fixes mistakes quickly. Which has seemed to happen in this case.

If you don't know anything about spam and what people are doing about it, it is a subject where you really ought to get some basic knowledge if you are going to use the internet for email. An informed netizen can make better judgments about how to control spam. People are attempting to control it now by different means and unless you have an informed viewpoint, you will not be able to make much impact on what means are used.

Miss Betsy

SpamCop doesn't bounce any emails based on the SCBL.Ā  If an IP isn't listed in the SCBL then most likely there is an error at the server that is rejecting the email.

Apparently that was the problem, but since the same message, from the same server, went through just a few minutes later, I don't think any changes were made in the configuration of that server. That's why I think there's a bug in this software.

The nature of DNSBLs makes your assumption unlikely. If anything was wrong I'd guess that the receiving server was unable to connect with the SCBL and, due to its configuration, it assumed a positive response. A few minutes later the server was able to connect with the SCBL and accepted the email because the SCBL didn't respond with the positive 127.0.0.2 response for listed IPs.

Okay, here is what I know: my wife tried to send an e-mail message to Villanova University. Instead of sending, the e-mail client displayed a dialog saying that her message was being blocked by SpamCop, and it presented a URL she could use to find out why. When I entered that URL in her browser it brought up the report I quoted in my original message. If SpamCop had nothing to do with it, why did the dialog say it was being blocked by SpamCop and present a URL that linked to SpamCop's reporting page?

I admit that I know very little about how SpamCop works, and I don't really want to know. I just don't like it when my communications are interfered with in this manner, and since SpamCop seemed to be taking responsibility for it, I don't like SpamCop either.

To this point you have not posted any reject message.

Post the entire reject message. What is so hard about that?

Hi! I'm having a similar problem as the original poster. I'm hoping someone here can help! We've had three emails blocked by recipients' ISPs because we have supposedly gotten on the Spamcop Block list (we don't send spam - honest!). However I looked up our IP address and got the same message "not listed in bl.smapcop.net, SpamCop has no record of this system"

Here are the rejection messages we received:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail19g.dulles19-verio.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<spp[at]mail.com.np>:

Connected to 202.52.255.22 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 You have blacklisted server.Please see http://www.spamcop.net for more details

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <bweber[at]bob-weber.com>

Received: from www.bob-weber.com (161.58.68.112)

and

<bmarjan[at]ptt.yu>:

Connected to 212.62.32.1 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 553 5.3.0Ā  SpamCop black list - http://spamcop.net

by mail19g.dulles19-verio.com (RS ver 1.0.92vs) with SMTP id 1-13200562566

for <bmarjan[at]ptt.yu>; Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:23:08 -0400 (EDT)

Message-ID: <01a201c422fe$53b5d6c0$f812640c[at]emailcomputer>

and

<rhill[at]murphycompany.com>:

64.40.192.10 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 <rhill[at]murphycompany.com>... Mail from 198.170.241.21 rejected;see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

Giving up on 64.40.192.10.

by mail19g.dulles19-verio.com (RS ver 1.0.92vs) with SMTP id 4-33338079

I did look up 198.170.241.21 and it is listed but I don't know how that IP address relates to us. I also have no idea what "mail19g.dulles19-verio.com is either. (sorry, completely ignorant about these things).

Should we ignore this and hope it resolves itself in 48 hours and then resend? Call and complain to our ISP? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Bob Weber Inc.

First the server you sent your mail to has a very bad deny message and they should fix it to display the rejecting server but you did give enough information this time.

It looks like your mail went theough mail19g.dulles19-verio.com

Resolved mail19g.dulles19-verio.com to 198.170.241.21

Looks like you are sharing a verio server to send your mail:

SPAMCOP SpamCop Blocking List: bl.spamcop.net -> 127.0.0.2

Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?198.170.241.21

198.170.241.21 is mail19g.dulles19-verio.com

198.170.241.21 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported less than 10 times by less than 10 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 53.7 days. It has been listed for less than 24 hours.

In the past week, this system has: 
Been reported as a source of spam less than 10 times 
Been detected sending mail to spam traps 
Been witnessed sending mail about 360 times 

I did look up 198.170.241.21 and it is listed but I don't know how that IP address relates to us.Ā  I also have no idea what "mail19g.dulles19-verio.com is either.

Both of them are the same mail server which is listed in bl.spamcop.net. I assume that verio.com is your ISP and you are sending your email out through their servers. You need to discuss these failures with your ISP, Verio.com and ask them to remove their spammers because it is affecting your service. I generally get at least one spam every day (usually much more) from the verio.com servers.

Meryln,

Thanks for the quick response. So, it looks like I need to complain to my ISP, right?

One general question for you if you don't mind helping a little more - I looked at the "specific information" for our mailserver IP address, and it doesn't look like they've gotten an outrageous number of complaints. Are several complaints of spam enough to get put on the block list, or does SpamCop work on a formula of a minimum number of complaints over a certain span of time? Just curious...

Thanks again!

Jennifer

Meryln,

Thanks for the quick response. So, it looks like I need to complain to my ISP, right?

One general question for you if you don't mind helping a little moreĀ  - I looked at the "specific information" for our mailserver IP address, and it doesn't look like they've gotten an outrageous number of complaints. Are several complaints of spam enough to get put on the block list, or does SpamCop work on a formula of a minimum number of complaints over a certain span of time? Just curious...

Thanks again!

Jennifer

When there are reports to spamtraps then they weigh much more as those email addresses are not used anywhere and are usually from spambots scraping the web for addresses or dictionary attacks on servers. So in this case yes, because of the spamtraps involved.

Merlyn, Steven,

Thanks very much for your input!

I'm completely ignorant about this stuff as you can see. I just have legitimate email that I have to send to customers, which led me to this forum. I will definitely complain to my ISP.

I really appreciately your help. Thanks again.

Regards,

Jennifer

Archived