Hat Check

mrmaxx

Short version: One of my vendors invited me to MyLife. I'm suspicious about this site as I've never really heard about it before and I know there are places out there that'll suck up your address book and spam all your friends/colleagues/family/etc "on your behalf." I don't want to be affiliated with anything like that. Just want to get a reputation check before I accept/reject the invite.

thanks!

...Just want to get a reputation check before I accept/reject the invite.
No experience with MyLife but:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/mylife.com says "tested ... and didn't find significant problems" while 12/12 SiteAdvisor commentators had nothing good to say about it.

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=...w.mylife.com%2F says "Norton Safe Web found no issues with this site." while the (single) review and user comment says "This site gathers information on you from any source they can get it whether it is accurate or not, and adds it to your profile.

This site will NOT remove inaccurate, untrue, false, information about you.

This site will NOT remove your profile when you request it." and much more.

If you already belong to any social web-based groups, I suggest you check them out on the above and see how the comments compare. If you don't belong to any social web-based groups then maybe a vendor invitation is not good enough reason to join one now (because you probably don't really want to).

[Moving this to the Lounge as it seems to me to fit that forum]

If you already belong to any social web-based groups, I suggest you check them out on the above and see how the comments compare. If you don't belong to any social web-based groups then maybe a vendor invitation is not good enough reason to join one now (because you probably don't really want to).

Thanks, Farelf... I am a member of several Yahoo groups and I recall there being a big stink about something like this spamming groups "on behalf of" a registered user... didn't want to get caught up in that. :-) Guess I'll email the vendor directly asking him NOT to invite me to any more of those types of sites! :-)

• 1 year later...
Thanks, Farelf... I am a member of several Yahoo groups and I recall there being a big stink about something like this spamming groups "on behalf of" a registered user... didn't want to get caught up in that. :-) Guess I'll email the vendor directly asking him NOT to invite me to any more of those types of sites! :-)

I have just started receiving email from MyLife and found this upon attempting to unsubscribe: http://www.mylife.com (formerly Reunion.com) saying I signed up in 2004-06-03. This unsubscribe link takes you to a page where you can change your email preferences, but not remove your account. You have to sign in to do that. I doubt that I would have any more success removing my account from MyLife than I did from Reunion.com.

I spent way too much time trying to get off reunion.com's web site and mailing list. Finally just disabled the email address. Now they have found my primary email address somehow.

I would stay as far away from these folks as possible.

I get junk from them all the time on my netzero account, I just ignore it for the most part, the NZ account was set up specifically to dump stuff like that to, like the mypoints stuff and other "make money / win prizes" survey accounts.

(Might not really make big bucks with them, but it's a fun thing to pass time with.) :P

I'm not a lawyer, but AFAIK, this is bordering on illegal under privacy laws where I live.
That single review was a long time ago - there are now 15 (which I can't read offhand) but mylife.com is noted on Norton Safe Web (per previous link) as having a privacy policy which should be perused before coming to any conclusions - http://www.mylife.com/PrivacyPolicy.pub - I haven't studied it.

Archived