Guess I need help....

Pissed Off

I hate spam.

and now I get to suffer not only the spam...but I also get to suffer from the solution for it.

*sigh*

I've read and reread the stuff on the who, what, when, where, and why I'm blocked. I just want to fix it. I don't want any spammers to be able to use my system....but I don't understand what I need to do to fix my system.

If you can help me, please do. But please make your instructions elementary...cause I'm obviously too stupid to understand computer speak.

Thanks,

Pissed Off (that spam's kicked my butt again)

Commiserations, guess most of us know the feeling. Before anyone can help they will need as much detail as you can give without giving away your privacy (don't post your full actual email address etc.)

What are you blocked from? Can you paste in any notice(s) you have received telling you so - just x out your email address. You say you've read the FAQs. Did that include the "work in progress" pinned notice at the top of this board Why am I blocked? FAQ? Just trying to find out exactly what needs fixing and a baseline to work from which whoever takes it up next will need to know.

I hate spam.

and now I get to suffer not only the spam...but I also get to suffer from the solution for it.

*sigh*

I've read and reread the stuff on the who, what, when, where, and why I'm blocked.  I just want to fix it.  I don't want any spammers to be able to use my system....but I don't understand what I need to do to fix my system.

If you can help me, please do.  But please make your instructions elementary...cause I'm obviously too stupid to understand computer speak.

Thanks,

Pissed Off (that spam's kicked my butt again)

Since you failed to identify the IP that is allegedly listed, no one can tell you what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Here is the email that I recieved....does it give the information needed?

Thanks,

Pissed Off

(at spam)

The original message was received at Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:09:04 -0500 (CDT)

from kgldgaambas03-pool1-a93.kgldga.tds.net [66.222.53.93]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<XXXXXXXXX[at]net-magic.net>

(reason: 554 Service unavailable; Client host [216.170.230.91] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.170.230.91)

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to spamfilter.net-magic.net.:

>>> DATA

<<< 554 Service unavailable; Client host [216.170.230.91] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.170.230.91

554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

Return-Path: <>

Received: from bm8.sec.tds.net ([216.170.230.78]) by mta02.mail.tds.net

with ESMTP

id <20040418020936.SGWH15746.mta02.mail.tds.net[at]bm8.sec.tds.net>

for <XXXXX[at]tds.net>; Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:09:36 -0500

Received: from outbound1.mail.tds.net (outbound1.mail.tds.net [216.170.230.91])

by bm8.sec.tds.net (8.12.10/8.12.2) with ESMTP id i3I29It0019959

for <XXXXXX[at]tds.net>; Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:09:29 -0500 (CDT)

Received: from localhost (localhost)

by outbound1.mail.tds.net (8.12.10/8.12.2) id i3I2972x029603;

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:09:07 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:09:07 -0500 (CDT)

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON[at]outbound1.mail.tds.net>

Message-Id: <200404180209.i3I2972x029603[at]outbound1.mail.tds.net>

To: <XXXXXX[at]tds.net>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;

boundary="i3I2972x029603.1082254147/outbound1.mail.tds.net"

Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

Yep, thanks. The problem has now 'fixed itself' as that mail server is no longer listed. IP's drop off the list within 48hrs of the the last spam report. HOWEVER this is only one of the mail servers run by TDS that have had spam reports, and it is listed currently in other blocklists so you need to ask yourself whether TDS are just unlucky and clearing up spam problems as soon as possible or either clueless or 'couldn't care less' in acting against spammers. The bottom line is that if the latter, they will probably end up on the blocklist again in the future; you may want to change to a provider with a better record.

hth

Derek

Thanks,

Pissed Off

(at spam)

[snip]

Yes, it reveals that you were using 216.170.230.91 [outbound1.mail.tds.net] to send the email and that the IP was listed for 14 hours because a spammer was also using the IP. The IP is no longer listed.

A Google Search using what little information available on the SC evidence page for that IP pretty much confirms that the spammer was running a Pump-and-Dump scam.

Archived