Mail being blocked and bounced

krys1202

A friend and I own a Yahoo! Group.

We use JustHost.com as our web host.

When we started the Yahoo! Group, we decided to use the web mail service provided by our web host. We configured our JustHost.com mail accounts to be delivered to us via IncrediMail.

We are having lots of problems getting our group notifications and emails from our members, which is disastrous for us as the group owners.

We have tried to resolve this issue with both Yahoo! Groups and JustHost.com, without success.

We never signed up for SpamCop and really do not want it, but JustHost.com said that we cannot disable it and that we are stuck with it.

Following is the latest Bounced Message Report I received:

Remote host said: 550 an RBL, see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.163.168.132" [RCPT_TO]

I have checked the IP in the link and get a report that it is not block listed.

I do not understand why, if it is not block listed, the mail is being bounced.

Is there a way that we can disable SpamCop so that we get all the necessary notifications and group emails; or is there a way to resolve this issue so that we can get all the necessary notifications and group emails?

As the groups owners, it if imperative that we receive everything we need, both from Yahoo! Groups and our group members.

Thank you for your assistance.

krys1202

Remote host said: 550 an RBL, see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.163.168.132"
That is the sending server telling you that the receiving system refused to accept your email because 66.163.168.132 = n38a.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com was on the SpamCop blocking list at the time.

We never signed up for SpamCop
SpamCop isn't something a sender signs up for. It is a service networks use to defend themselves again receiving spam.

JustHost.com said that we cannot disable it and that we are stuck with it.
JustHost.com is confused about what SpamCop is. SpamCop publishes a database of known spam sources. Networks who use our service will query our database when somebody tries to send mail to them. If the sending server is on our list, the receiving system will not accept the email.

I have checked the IP in the link and get a report that it is not block listed.
66.163.168.132 = n38a.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com went off our list Sunday, August 29, 2010 01:18:38 -0600 because the spam stopped for some reason.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

problems getting our group notifications and emails from our members

I missed that on the first reading.

It could be that JustHost.com is using our blocking list service and won't accept mail from the Yahoo servers that are on our list.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

That is the sending server telling you that the receiving system refused to accept your email because 66.163.168.132 = n38a.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com was on the SpamCop blocking list at the time.

JustHost.com is confused about what SpamCop is. SpamCop publishes a database of known spam sources. Networks who use our service will query our database when somebody tries to send mail to them. If the sending server is on our list, the receiving system will not accept the email.

66.163.168.132 = n38a.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com went off our list Sunday, August 29, 2010 01:18:38 -0600 because the spam stopped for some reason.

What can we do about that? Is there a way that you can provide us with the list of Yahoo servers being blocked so that we can give the list to JustHost so they will accept mail from those servers.

JustHost has asked us for a list of Yahoo servers and Yahoo! Groups provided a range of IP addresses for their servers which was not acceptable to JustHost.

If you could give us a list of the Yahoo! Group servers being blocked that might solved our problem.

Thank you,

krys1202

Hi, krys1202!

...If I understand the problem correctly, you are using Yahoo!Groups to host a discussion group; there are Yahoo servers that are or have been on the SpamCop blacklist and your e-mail provider is using the SpamCop blacklist to block e-mails from those servers so you may not be receiving all the group e-emails.

...If the above is correct, I see two possible theoretical solutions:

• Observation: Yahoo!Group servers are sending spam. Solution: get Yahoo to stop sending spam or (more feasible) find a host for your group that is better at stopping spam from being sent.
  • Observation: your e-mail provider is using the SpamCop blacklist to block e-mail that might be spam. Solution: ask your e-mail provider to incorporate SpamCop's own recommendation as to the user of its blacklist (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml) and use it to deliver possible spam to a separate location, such as a "suspected spam" mailbox, rather than blocking it.

...Good luck!

...If I understand the problem correctly, you are using Yahoo!Groups to host a discussion group; there are Yahoo servers that are or have been on the SpamCop blacklist and your e-mail provider is using the SpamCop blacklist to block e-mails from those servers so you may not be receiving all the group e-emails.

...If the above is correct, I see two possible theoretical solutions:

[*]Observation: Yahoo!Group servers are sending spam. Solution: get Yahoo to stop sending spam or (more feasible) find a host for your group that is better at stopping spam from being sent.

[*]Observation: your e-mail provider is using the SpamCop blacklist to block e-mail that might be spam. Solution: ask your e-mail provider to incorporate SpamCop's own recommendation as to the user of its blacklist (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml) and use it to deliver possible spam to a separate location, such as a "suspected spam" mailbox, rather than blocking it.

[/list

Thank you for your suggestion, which I passed on to JustHost.

Its response was that they do not deal with blacklists.

krys1202

The only place your email could be blocked is your mail provider. If JustHost is your email provider, then either the person you talked to is completely clueless, or just outright lieing to you. Which blocklists they use, and how they choose to use them are decisions entirely up to them.

What was their response about white-listing the yahoo groups outgoing servers? There are a bunch of them, I know, but I believe they are mostly in a contiguous IP range, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to just add the entire range.

What was their response about white-listing the yahoo groups outgoing servers? There are a bunch of them, I know, but I believe they are mostly in a contiguous IP range, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to just add the entire range.

JustHost has not been at all cooperative in trying to solve this issue.

Yahoo! Groups has provided JustHost with the IP range of its group servers, but JustHost wants all the actual IP addresses, but Yahoo! Groups will only provide the range.

The impression given by JustHost is that it just doesn't care about whether or not we receive or mail and it will not go out of its way to provide customer service to us.

Chris

The impression given by JustHost is that it just doesn't care about whether or not we receive or mail and it will not go out of its way to provide customer service to us.

Hi Chris,

Then I suspect you have pretty much answered your own question. If your ISP doesn't care then I'd recommend moving to one that does. There are plenty around.

Andrew

JustHost has not been at all cooperative in trying to solve this issue.

Yahoo! Groups has provided JustHost with the IP range of its group servers, but JustHost wants all the actual IP addresses, but Yahoo! Groups will only provide the range.

If what you're saying is that Y! is saying that their Y! Groups servers live at 192.168.0.0/24 or similar and JustHost is saying they need a list of IPs, then, well, that's pretty special. If you're saying that JH wants to know what IPs have been listed specifically in order to whitelist individual IPs, then that's different.

If what you're saying is that Y! is saying that their Y! Groups servers live at 192.168.0.0/24 or similar and JustHost is saying they need a list of IPs, then, well, that's pretty special. If you're saying that JH wants to know what IPs have been listed specifically in order to whitelist individual IPs, then that's different.

Yahoo! Groups provided a list of 20 servers, all ending with the /24 like your example; JustHost refuses to do anything with the IP range--they want all the server addresses; Yahoo! Groups feels that they should have someone who knows how to deal with the IP address range and, frankly, I agree.

JustHost is not my ISP provided, it is my web host to whom I have paid for 4 years in advance.

Thanks,

krys1202

Yahoo! Groups provided a list of 20 servers, all ending with the /24 like your example;

Addresses identified as per the example would not be "servers" ... these are IP Blocks/ranges as you later state. For example, your initial Post was about an IP Address of 66.163.168.132. Turn that around and identify it as a part of 66.163.168.0/24, which would represent 66.163.168.0 through 66.163.168.255. Then you state that Yahoo provided 20 of these block ranges. That's quite a huge hole in a firewall type setting that is used to put a stop to incoming spam to this ISP's users.

Just wanting the terminology used correctly.

Addresses identified as per the example would not be "servers" ... these are IP Blocks/ranges as you later state. For example, your initial Post was about an IP Address of 66.163.168.132. Turn that around and identify it as a part of 66.163.168.0/24, which would represent 66.163.168.0 through 66.163.168.255. Then you state that Yahoo provided 20 of these block ranges. That's quite a huge hole in a firewall type setting that is used to put a stop to incoming spam to this ISP's users.

Just wanting the terminology used correctly.

Thank you for correcting my terminology.

krys1202

Is there any solution for our problem?

We really need to know that we can receive all the notification and group mail that is being sent to us.

As a fix, why not open a gmail account and have the emails from Yahoo sent to it ?

Gmail could be accessed direct or could forward to your current mailbox.

As a fix, why not open a gmail account and have the emails from Yahoo sent to it ?

Gmail could be accessed direct or could forward to your current mailbox.

Or, use Yahoo's own email system. There should be far less, if any, 'blockage' between Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Groups. Yahoo Mail may not be the best available, but seems like it might be a solution your problem.

Archived