[Resolved] Turn existing email address into spamtrap?

mrmaxx

I have an existing Yahoo email address that's getting almost nothing but spam these days. I'm seriously thinking about moving what little "legitimate" traffic is there to a new email account. Is there any way to turn this existing account over to SpamCop or reroute it to a spamcop-controlled SpamTrap?

I certainly hope NOT! If that sort of thing were allowed, with no way to guarantee that the address had NEVER been seen or used for legit purposes, that would reduce the validity of the spamtrap addresses, to which the SCBL is so sensitive that hitting one of those produces a "shoot first, never ask questions" response. I have long held a healthy skepticism about the purity of the spamtrap addresses, given some things I've experienced over the years.

DT

Sorry, we can't use it. Two problems.

One is we need nonexistent, never used addresses.

The other is that you don't own the domain. It's a Yahoo address.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Oh, well. It was just a thought.

I have an existing Yahoo email address that's getting almost nothing but spam these days. I'm seriously thinking about moving what little "legitimate" traffic is there to a new email account. Is there any way to turn this existing account over to SpamCop or reroute it to a spamcop-controlled SpamTrap?

I have thought much about this with my own current address. The problem with a used email account is that someone out there either knows the address, or has it in their addressbook. Due to this possibility alone, if an account was ever used by a human, it can never be a SpamTrap. In the past, I actually did this and had a misreported buddy get the admin talk. All I can say is ouch! Now "I'm sorry!" just does not work anymore.

That said, the only way you can turn over an address to SpamCop is to guarantee that no humans are ever going to send messages there. I myself would refused to manually report email from that account, unless it is guaranteed to be declared humanless. The only person that knows if email at that account could be spam is you.

Archived