Update: Email delays

The servers are working through the backlog. Unfortunately this amounts to hundreds of thousands of emails so while they are running flat out, everything is still backed up. I don't know how much longer it will take to catch up.

WRT to removing forwarding or taking down POP entries - doing that will not make any discernible difference to system performance or speed getting the backed up mails to your inboxes. Wish I had a magic way of getting real mail into your inboxes faster.

And on a personal note -- all my mail runs through these same servers so I am just as antsy as you are.

Not that my opinion matters, I have mentioned this before, why are there no alarms set to notify sysops when, say, your held mail folder doesn't receive a single item after 90 minutes. Such things are easy to set up. The last several times this has happened it seems like the sysops are the last to know.

<snip>why are there no alarms set to notify sysops when, say, your held mail folder doesn't receive a single item after 90 minutes

<snip>

...Aren't you assuming, as US trial lawyers would say (at least on TV), a "fact not in evidence?" :) <g>

...Admittedly, it's a bit old and only hints at an "alarm" but see jefft's response in SpamCop Forum Topic "Can't log in to SC email."

We're still not caught up with the backlog! Any news at all?

The latest email I've received was from approximately 9 hours ago, but other emails that I know for sure are in the pipeline somewhere and from an earlier time, still have not appeared. Rather strange.

...Aren't you assuming, as US trial lawyers would say (at least on TV), a "fact not in evidence?" :) <g>

...Admittedly, it's a bit old and only hints at an "alarm" but see jefft's response in SpamCop Forum Topic "Can't log in to SC email."

"Monitoring scripts" does not equal "alarms." There are home-grown scripts then there are sophisticated tools, even in the open source world.

Like I said, the last several times this has happened it seems the sysops are the last to know. This particular incident went on for 20+ hours before anyone in a position to do something about it seemed to notice.

<snip>

Like I said, the last several times this has happened it seems the sysops are the last to know. This particular incident went on for 20+ hours before anyone in a position to do something about it seemed to notice.

...Yes, alarms, even sophisticated ones, and monitoring scripts (which can also be sophisticated) can fail and those on the receiving end may not be in a position to take action right away. In this case, they've been on it for some time, so that's no longer the problem for this occasion. :) <g>

...FYI, the latest updates are Uodate 2 - Wed -Email Delays and Ex_Brit's most recent post in topic "Inbound Mail Not Coming Through."

Archived