SpamCop Clarification

I was under the impression when I started using SpamCop a week or so ago that reporting the spam would also lessening the amount I would receive … this hasn’t happened. In fact, I believe I’ve been receiving even more. I would like to sign-up for SpamCop, but I need to make sure it will do what I need before I sign-up.

Is there a way to let the spammers know you want off their mailing lists when you report them using SpamCop? I know I sound pretty naive; however, there has to be a way to stop unwanted e-mails. I don’t want to have to change my e-mail.

I do ask to be removed from lists but find this never happens, or, I click on the link to be removed and it’s a dead link.

Any suggestions?

Paying members can choose to send unmunged spam reports which will allow spammers, who happen to get copies of the spam reports and who wish to do so, to remove your email address from their lists.

However, except for "mainsleeze" spammers, most spammers won't remove you from their list no matter what you do. This is work on their part which doesn't generate profits and "chickenbone" spammers often think that just because you didn't fall for one spiel doesn't mean you won't fall for the next one they send.

Keep in mind that sending unmunged spam reports could increase your spam since you'd be verifying that your address is actively being used so some spammers will add you to their "HOT! FRESH! VERIFIED VALID!" mailing lists. Since spammers are unethical enough to send unsolicited bulk email in the first place there's no reason to believe they'd change their ethics if you ask them to remove you.

Most people find SpamCop at some point after spam becomes a problem to them. Your spam may be increasing because your email address recently got added to the "Millions CD" and more and more spammers are getting the updated mailing lists. If this is the case then your spam volume would be increasing whether or not you were using SpamCop.

Additionally, as blocklists and other filtering become more prevalent and more comprehensive spammers have to try harder to get their messages delivered. This causes everyone with ineffective blocking methods to see more spam in their inbox. Also, with more spam in inboxes it is less likely that a recipient will open any particular piece of spewage.

Some spammers are intentionally hitting people more often, sometimes several times per day, in hopes of increasing the chances that their garbage will get opened. Again, your spam would be increasing whether or not you used SpamCop.

You might want to look into SpamCop's paid email filtering service. It probably won't reduce the amount of spam addressed to you but it can keep much of it out of your inbox.

I do ask to be removed from lists but find this never happens, or, I click on the link to be removed and it’s a dead link.

And one more thing...Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never click on the unsubscribe link provided in an email message you did not request. While there might be a few legitimate lists that someone else signed you up for that this will work for, the majority are probably simply confirming your email address as someone who reads the message and is more likely to respond if the message is right. As Spambo stated:

Since spammers are unethical enough to send unsolicited bulk email in the first place there's no reason to believe they'd change their ethics if you ask them to remove you.

I am aware of no ISP that is currently recommending that practice. Even my local news the other night finally started recommending not doing that.

I went into groundhog mode (mole? ... not sending reports) a while back, when Spamcop started offering it noting that it had become painfully obvious that spammers could identify senders despite munging.

If there's any need, though, for identifiable complaints/unsubscribe requests to be sent in to any particular spammer -- to test the claims that they remove on complaint -- I'd be glad to.

And if there's any need for new unique email addresses (honeypots) to be posted on web pages where they can be found, I'd be glad to set up unique new email addresses, to test the claims that spam is being sent only to those who opt in.

If this starts to happen, someone please add it to the News at the Spamcop login?

Because I've got too much to read already .....

I went into groundhog mode (mole? ... not sending reports) a while back, when Spamcop started offering it noting that it had become painfully obvious that spammers could identify senders despite munging.

If there's any need, though, for identifiable complaints/unsubscribe requests to be sent in to any particular spammer -- to test the claims that they remove on complaint -- I'd be glad to.

And if there's any need for new unique email addresses (honeypots) to be posted on web pages where they can be found, I'd be glad to set up unique new email addresses, to test the claims that spam is being sent only to those who opt in. 

If this starts to happen, someone please add it to the News at the Spamcop login?

Because I've got too much to read already .....

...Hmm -- I'm not clear on what you are asking about when you write, "If this starts to happen, someone please add it to the News at the Spamcop login?" Is it the "honeypots" to which you referred? If so, this is already being done -- SpamCop.net calls them "spam Traps." Any IP address found sending e-mail to a spam Trap known by SpamCop.net gets added automatically to the SpamCop.net blocklist, IIUC. Within 48 hours after the last such delivery to a spam Trap, the IP address is removed.

I was under the impression when I started using SpamCop a week or so ago that reporting the spam would also lessening the amount I would receive …

And I don't think your impression was wrong... When I first started using SpamCop I experienced an initial spike in the amount of spam.. However my persistence and determination eventually paid off... The spam has been reduced to a trikle.

I think the trick is to be consistent in reporting the spam if what you want to accomplish is to reduce the flow. I can only speak for myself, but I noticed an increase in spam only when I neglect reporting... In fact I had it stopped in cycles, only to have it replaced by virus attacks....

As what I understand it, a spamtrap does not automatically cause a listing, it just counts the same as if two individuals reported a spam from that source.

It is the total count of spam reports as a percentage of the total count of e-mail from that source from trusted monitoring points on the internet that determines if an address is listed.

Thus even with spamtraps, it will take more reports to list a high volume mail server than a small one.

Again, as I understand it the listing time is also variable with a maximum of 48 hours after the newest time stamp of the last spam report.

That timestamp comes from the mail server of the spam reporter or spamtrap, not the time that the spam reporter discovered the spam and reported it to spamcop.net.

Past explanations of the algorithm have stated that the minium listing time is 1/2 hour from the last received spam.

The length of the listing is apparently biased by metrics of the spam reported, and how many times the address is listed in the past. The idea is that the faster the spam gets stopped, the shorter the listing time.

This gives a mail server operator an incentive to read their abuse e-mail box.

At least one ISP has stated on the spamcop.net forums that they have a program that detects spamcop.net reports and prioritizes them for action.

They stated that their reasons for this are economic. A spamcop.net report usually indicates an open proxy on their network, and an open proxy can cost an ISP major operating cash. By getting open proxies isolated from their network fast, they avoid extra costs, and that improves the bottom line.

Unfortunately for most ISPs, the people handling the network technical issues or the abuse desks have no idea how much an open proxy is costing them in cash.

One media report shows that the value of stolen bandwidth to a spammer is over $1200 U.S. if they needed to pay for it.

Getting your postmaster to stop accepting e-mail from known open proxies will also cut their operational costs.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

As what I understand it, a spamtrap does not automatically cause a listing, it just counts the same as if two individuals reported a spam from that source.

Sorry .. but way off the mark, per the last published definition of the scoring factors ... http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/297.html ... little sense in copying specifics as this FAQ already exists .... but valid points in the rest of your post (dollar value might be seen as low, perhaps an old news article?? guess it also depends on the ISP and its customer base)

Archived