YB's Non-answers

yourbuddy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we ban both yourbuddy and dra007 in all groups until this pissing match is over, please???

It is making it look very childish in all of these forums.

Jus ban YB and all the foolishness will stop. Some people still don't understand that feeding the trolls is useless.

<_<

I would simply stop replying to his insults. I could deal with that for a while, but not his trolling and attempt to mislead people who come here for help. Especially when he persists and insults everyone that happens to disagree with him..

yourbuddy has mostly been considerate about not posting in the Help forum with 'smartaleck' comments. Occasionally, he does support someone who is mad about spamcop, but IMHO, there is no reason why he shouldn't.

People should try to refrain from replying to him with smartaleck comments in the Help forum. Newcomers need to be able to find 'real' information there.

IMHO, whoever wants to play games in Spamcop Lounge is welcome to. I must admit it hasn't been very clever lately, but at times, these exchanges are funny.

Miss Betsy

yourbuddy has mostly been considerate about not posting in the Help forum with 'smartaleck' comments.  Occasionally, he does support someone who is mad about spamcop, but IMHO, there is no reason why he shouldn't.

People should try to refrain from replying to him with smartaleck comments in the Help forum.  Newcomers need to be able to find 'real' information there. 

IMHO, whoever wants to play games in Spamcop Lounge is welcome to.  I must admit it hasn't been very clever lately, but at times, these exchanges are funny.

Miss Betsy

Well thank-you sincerely Miss Betsy ...

It's great that someone understands that another valid point of view

may exist and can be expressed - debate can be good for the grey

matter. Now if only dra007 can contain the impulse to add a violin.

Help (even if contrary to "THE" ideology) will be in the Help Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious. Usually trolls are someone who feels they've been burned in some way. Seems to me one or two e-mails being blocked isn't a very good reason for a major vendetta.

Is yourbuddy:

1. A spammer on a sinking or sunken ship?

or

2. The frea speach store?

or

3. Richter?

:ph34r:

I'm curious.  Usually trolls are someone who feels they've been burned in some way.  Seems to me one or two e-mails being blocked isn't a very good reason for a major vendetta. 

Is yourbuddy:

1.  A spammer on a sinking or sunken ship?

or

2.  The frea speach store?

or

3.  Richter?

:ph34r:

Bumpkin, you have selected an appropriate name. :D

I assume it's short for "Country Bumpkin", as the nature of

your post is simple ignorance (or did you have to try?) ;)

Please correct spelling mistakes (if you recognize them). :rolleyes:

As near as I have followed the postings of Yourbuddy, the personna showed up here because a web site host allegedly received a single report that a URL to a web site owned by Yourbuddy (or related company), and terminated the web hosting with out any further investigation.

Assuming that everything that I have seen Yourbuddy posted about the incident is true, it means that their ISP overreacted to a spamcop..net report. And there have been documented cases of that happening to others in the past. So there is no reason to doubt Yourbuddy's statements.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Yourbuddy is any sort of spammer.

[When I started typing this Yourbuddy was listed as signed in, so if anything is incorrect, I am sure that it will be mentioned. Any inaccuracies are a result of my faulty memory, and being too lazy to look up all the related posts]

I have not seen Yourbuddy supply any specific information about that web site, it's URL or I.P. address, or even the spamcop.net report information.

As such, I do not even know if the ISP actually received a real spamcop.net report, or if they received one of the forgeries that have been sent out to every web hosting service and a few other random addresses.

The language that Yourbuddy said that the web host used for the termination matched the language that was used in the forgeries, even though he did not make the same spelling errors. :-)

People keep forgetting (or never knew) that there have been at least two waves of forged "Spamcop is blocking you because of spam reports" sent out to almost every web host.. I think the practice stopped because the spammers doing it finally realized that it just increased the number of mail servers that used the spamcop.net or other

DNSbls in what e-mail that they accept.

Now stating anything that implies that spamcop.net is infallible, or implies that anyone that has their e-mail rejected is because their ISP is allowing spam to be sent is likely to invite a a predictable response from Yourbuddy. And once such a dialog is started, more such replies may continue.

Some of this is a light diversion.

We must remember the main mission of spamcop.net is to stop spam, not to get I.P. addresses on the spamcop.net blocklist, or to tell people that their ISP is not a good netizen (even if it may be true)

And as such when a real mail server is on the blocklist, it is important to try to find out why it is on the list, and what can be done to get it off the block list permanently.

And Yourbuddy, inspite of any negative feelings toward spamcop.net has sometimes assisted in that goal. And such assistance from Yourbuddy or anyone else should be encouraged.

Sometimes that is done by getting bugs in the parser fixed, sometimes by getting security problems in the mail server fixed. Or sometimes finding the reporter that was mistakening reporting it and getting them to stop.

When investigating why an I.P. address is listed, it is important to use logic and facts to determine the cause. Statistics and past history can give a guidance of what a problem might be, but do not indicate what it is absolutely.

And it can be very usefull for the person complaining about a real mail server being blocked for them to know how long their ISP had been receiving complaints about it before the listing took place.

That is something that can not be accurately determined by non-deputies like me and most of the other participants of these forums from the spamcop.net database, so other methods need to be used.

For a large mail server it usualy takes an ISP ignoring complaints for over a week before a listing results. For a small mail server, a listing can occur with out any previous notice of a problem, or from one of their own users not realizing they were reporting their own server by either their mistake, or from a parser error that no one notices.

If the participants of this newsgroup can not find a public record of spam from that I.P. address, than it is extremely risky to jump to any conclusions about why the I.P. was listed, and anyone doing so may get a comment from Yourbuddy.

Now Yourbuddy may have some ideas about how spam should be controlled that others may disaggree with, but that is nothing new or unique to Yourbuddy, and would be a totally different topic.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Archived