Spamcop down?

mrmaxx

I've tried from home and from work and I can't seem to reach SpamCop today. Is there something going on? I discovered the problem trying to submit to mailsc.spamcop.net (the site that I programmed SpamDeputy to use awhile back) and got a "submission form not found" error. Looking at the actual SpamDeputy window, I saw that SpamCop appeared to be "404-compliant" :-(

FWIW, mail seems to be working OK, as I'm able to view and move/delete emails in IMAP, but can't seem to find a webserver that responds as "http://www.spamcop.net" OR as "http://mailsc.spamcop.net"

Hopefully this is a temporary glitch!

Further testing shows that it *will* come up once in a great while, but for the most part, I get timeout errors, which seems to indicate some sort of network problem, however, I don't see any sort of problems when I view other websites, so that leads me to believe that there is probably some sort of problem with SpamCop and/or their Akamai-zed website.

Further testing shows that Ironport is unreachable as well, which probably explains the problem. I'm going to take a guess here and say one of two things is going on -- either there is a DOS attack against IronPort and/or SpamCop, OR Ironport is having network issues and hasn't gotten things back up yet. Considering Ironport is located in California and I'm on the east coast, that would make sense. Hopefully Ironport is running some sort of network monitoring software that will send a page when there's a problem. :)

Ellen posted the following in the SC newsgroups this morning (Subject: System Issues):

"We appear to be having an issue with interfacing to akamai. A ticket has

been opened."

Ahh... one of the downfalls of NOT porting the newsgroups to here... :) Should have thought to check here, but since we've all been told that this is where all the info will be, of course I checked here and didn't think of the newsgroups. :D

Oh, well. For the record, it appears to be all of Ironport, not just SpamCop. :(

Thanks for the heads-up!

I don't know if this is only temporary or showing things coming back up but I can now reach http://mailsc.spamcop.net/ with no problems. 

http://www.spamcop.net is still slow however.

Yeah... SpamCop and MAILSC came back up a bit ago. It appears Akamai was having some trouble today. I just wish The Powers That Be would make up their mind if this is the official place for news or if the newsgroups are. :D

Ellen posted the following in the SC newsgroups this morning (Subject: System Issues):

"We appear to be having an issue with interfacing to akamai. A ticket has

been opened."

Here's what Akamai said earlier today...

This degradation was the result of a bug within one of Akamais backend

content control management tools, which allows the expiration of content

on the Akamai network. The degradation was not a result of any outside

interference with Akamais network (such as Denial of Service or hacking).

Upon identification of the bug, Akamai quickly took corrective action

which returned customers to normal service levels. Akamai is currently

putting measures in place to return the content management tool to its

normal working order and is adding safeguards such that the issue will not

occur in the future. In the meantime, Akamai customers are able to serve

their content through the Akamai Network normally.

Here's what Akamai said earlier today...

This degradation was the result of a bug within one of Akamais backend

content control management tools, which allows the expiration of content

on the Akamai network. The degradation was not a result of any outside

interference with Akamais network (such as Denial of Service or hacking).

Ahh... interesting. Now I guess all way have to do is figure out where to find the information... here or the newsgroups. :)

Now I guess all way have to do is figure out where to find the information... here or the newsgroups.

here, I'll try to make an easy target for you. JT handles the e-mail side of things on the east coast, and these specific issues aren't impacting the e-mail side of the house, so he's off the hook. The Deputies spend most of their time handling their e-mail'd issues, and they've all pretty much admitted that the newsgroups are where they hang out, based on the time involved in wasing though this web-based thing, this is pretty much a "when they have the time" place. But as far as system issues, there are in the same boat as everyone else. Julian is doing his normal "working the code" thing over on the west coast and basically deals with the other issues as passed on to him by the Deputies. We can add in IronPort staff down in California that are allegedly working the hardware issues, but at this point, I've not seen that there is an IronPort staff that contributes or monitors these Forums or the newsgroups.

So, if you want a target, I'll take the heat. Retired U.S.Army, a bit of too much time, agreed to a request to volunteer some time to Moderate here ... Worked great for a while, generally JeffG handling the daylight hours, me and my sleeping problems handling the overnight stuff. From appearances, JeffG found a new job, so one would guess he's busy providing for the family these days <g> ...

Things got so bad here last night, I dropped a couple of pain pilss, and guess what ... I actually slept for a few hours in one stretch. Woke up, logged on, and found all the notices and discord over the Akamai problem while hitting the newsgroups. Immediate thought was to grab that data and get it moved over "here" .. but read that theoretically, the Akamai issue was resolved and things were back to normal ... so seemed silly to post the "Announcement" here at this point in time.

I intend to head back to the newsgroups, see if I can generate a "history" of events and post them here in the Announcement Forum so at least there's some data her to explain what happened, but agree that it's way late and a dollar short ... but ... hope it'll help????

here, I'll try to make an easy target for you.  JT handles the e-mail side of things on the east coast, and these specific issues aren't impacting the e-mail side of the house, so he's off the hook.  The Deputies spend most of their time handling their e-mail'd issues, and they've all pretty much admitted that the newsgroups are where they hang out, based on the time involved in wasing though this web-based thing, this is pretty much a "when they have the time" place.  But as far as system issues, there are in the same boat as everyone else.  Julian is doing his normal "working the code" thing over on the west coast and basically deals with the other issues as passed on to him by the Deputies.  We can add in IronPort staff down in California that are allegedly working the hardware issues, but at this point, I've not seen that there is an IronPort staff that contributes or monitors these Forums or the newsgroups.

So, if you want a target, I'll take the heat.  Retired U.S.Army, a bit of too much time, agreed to a request to volunteer some time to Moderate here ... Worked great for a while, generally JeffG handling the daylight hours, me and my sleeping problems handling the overnight stuff.  From appearances, JeffG found a new job, so one would guess he's busy providing for the family these days <g> ...

Things got so bad here last night, I dropped a couple of pain pilss, and guess what ... I actually slept for a few hours in one stretch.  Woke up, logged on, and found all the notices and discord over the Akamai problem while hitting the newsgroups.  Immediate thought was to grab that data and get it moved over "here" .. but read that theoretically, the Akamai issue was resolved and things were back to normal ... so seemed silly to post the "Announcement" here at this point in time.

I intend to head back to the newsgroups, see if I can generate a "history" of events and post them here in the Announcement Forum so at least there's some data her to explain what happened, but agree that it's way late and a dollar short ... but ...  hope it'll help????

Well, I appreciate that my friend... but I'm still not sure where to find "official" notices of system issues. Guess I'll have to go back to the newsgroups. As I said in my reply to Ellen (sweet lady that she is) I just have spent less time there than in the past because everyone (especially the "admin types") kept pointing everyone here. So, I figured that THIS was supposed to be the "official" notification site. Guess not.

I guess I'll have to look here for email system issues and in the newsgroups for reporting system issues.

[rant]

I just wish someone would make up their mind if we were supposed to use the forum or the newsgroups!

[/rant]

:D

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a pain or anything, but the way everyone kept saying "Oh, don't you know, we're all in the forum now?" seemed to indicate that this was the place to go. Now, I'm just so confused. :)

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a pain or anything, but the way everyone kept saying "Oh, don't you know, we're all in the forum now?" seemed to indicate that this was the place to go. Now, I'm just so confused

Best I can offer is that most of the "regulars" in the newsgroups have pretty much refused to get involved over "here" .... And Ellen has actually stated in a posting here that agreed with what I'd posted a number of times, these Forums are hit by the Deputies pretty much as "when they get the time" ... e-mail first, newsgroups next, then a glance or two through these Forums .... For a number of web-sites I support, those ISPs use web-based Forums for support, so not new to them, but have yet to learn to like them either. I was surely not expecting to spend that much time "here" either, but noting that there were so few "older / experienced" SpamCop users in here, I just got involved. I've never seen the e-mail interface, but was trying to answer questions based on what I'd read elsewhere, as there just wasn't anyone else around answering things. JeffG volunteered time as he was out of work for a while, SteveT and StevenUnderwood got involved so the e-mail side of the house was getting better answers (thank God <g>) and folks like Miss Betsy, Spambo, and Merlyn (should be shot for not recognizing others <g>) have chipped in, but the core of the long-time users is still NNTP based and that's all there is to it.

but I'm still not sure where to find "official" notices of system issues

For years, there have been a few of "us" that offered to hst an off-site status page of some osrt to handle status issues for those periods like the DDoS experiences, system crashes, etc. ... Julian has never acknowledged those offers, and of course, there'd be the confucion factor of why one would have to go somewhere else to find out status to begin with ... and I can recollect the "HotMail is down" syndrome, and yet the "network status" page says "All is well" ... so we're still back to who has the knowledge that something is hosed, and then has access to the web page to make the changes, and that's assuming that someone like this is awake at the time <g>

There was the infamous story of the e-mail / news system going down over the week-end, folks recognized it, even placed calls to leave some alert messages ... only to find out that the messages were not received due to the cell phone for that account having fallen into the kid's swimming pool and couldn't be replaced until the next work day ...

I guess I'll have to look here for email system issues and in the newsgroups for reporting system issues.

Catch is, you might be right ... this is still part of the split of the reporting system being physically in California, Julian still running that side from Washington state, and JT owning and operating the e-mail/newsgroup side of things over in Georgia. There is the link on the SpamCop reporting page that takes you to the E-Mail News page .. but (just checked) there's no notes on the SpamCop web page and the last entry on the E-Mail page is from 19 April ...

<snip>

but I'm still not sure where to find "official" notices of system issues

<big snip>

...What I think all this boils down to is that the answer to your question is that there really is no single official place to look for such notices. They may be

• here in the web forum
  • newsgroups
  • www.spamcop.net home page
  • no where at all!

Archived