Searching in folders: "off by one" header:text

Maybe it's me.

Searching in webmail folders has been a problem for me since before the forums were created; email to help or support at cesmail got a "nobody will see your message" robot reply, and email to spamcop, well, y'all were busy.

Anyone else see this?

Go to search in webmail; search for a string in message text (all folders).

Sometimes -- from older folders, and folders with names beginning with letters above "S" today -- I get back is a header line for one message paired with text from a different message.

I'm guessing some lookup table, at least for my folders, is off by one (or a simple integer multiple of 1 (grin)).

A few examples, searching for "camera" in all folders:

(1)

(Header info was about a camera item; body text shown is for magneto-optical disks)

2003-10-24 endofauction[at]ebay.com eBay Item Won! Folding Rubber Lens Hood 49mm (Item...

This is your payment notice from AUCTION BROKERAGE for the following item: 5 Sony 5.2 GB MO Op ... 7kb

Clicking on the found item gets: There was an error viewing the requested message.

(2)

(Header info was about a camera item; body text shown is for a 'thank you' dollar I send -- testing an old email address -- to a software author whose freeware I like)

2003-10-16 Shiva Kunal Import Compan... Re: Question for seller -- Item #2956258947

Dear Hank Roberts, This email confirms that you sent $1.00 USD to jonas.lindstedt[at]bredband.net ...

Clicking on the found item gets: There was an error viewing the requested message.

(3)

(Header info is from email about a Powerbook CPU 900 mhz upgrade; text shown with it was for payment for those magneto-optical disks from an auction site)

2003-10-23 Bruce Miller Re: Got 900!!! --- still happy? I'm hesitating st...

This is your payment notice from AUCTION BROKERAGE for the following item: 5 Sony 5.2 GB MO Op ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions are:

1) How can I back up my email? I use only webmail (Mac/Firefox).

2) Can I get the database rebuilt?

Reason I care is:

Someone stole my car and 25 years worth of camping gear, native plant seed, and restoration tools, and to get anything from insurance I have to prove I bought it, and most of the camera stuff was through ebay -- no other record but these.

---------------

"Am I dead, Jim?"

email to help or support at cesmail got a "nobody will see your message" robot reply, and email to spamcop, well, y'all were busy

Another poster over the weekend mentioned support <at> cesmail.net and was complaining of no response ... I'd pointed out that the address I had for JT was support <at> spamcop.net, though would have thought that these addresses would be mapped together ... that poster made no mention of an auto-ack at all. The e-mail side of the house is all done on JT's systems, so any other address at spamcop would be hitting folks that work elsewhere and with no access to this side of the house. This is the limit of my knowledge, so if it's no help, apologies.

I just tried your test but can come up with nothing conculsive. The search I did lined up messages for 3 different folders and the message body was correctly attached in all cases.

However, it is not an extensive test as I only have 5 messages in my Inbox, 1 in my "Submitted mail" folder and lots in my Trash folder (522 accounting for 2 days worth). The search pulled up 12 matches.

I seem to remember someone coming in here recently and talking about mailbox corruption, but as I recall, it was after accessing the mailboes from IMAP and it seemed the mailboxes were not in sync for some reason.

As far as contacting JT, I have always gotten a resonse within 24 hours using support<at>spamcop.net That is probably your best bet.

OK, I emailed him the question, yesterday, with pointer to the description with which I started this thread. I'll let you know what I hear, whenever.

It's a nasty little problem, affecting likely no one but me, so it's back burner stuff.

For whatever it's worth:

I asked how, as a webmail user (Mac OSX, no "Outlook" or other application) to download the text from complete folders. I've never known how to do that, I get html files instead of text if I try! Should've done that at least (sigh).

And how, if nothing else, I can just download the complete text in the database, scrambled or not -- get past the "encountered an error" message. Even if the text and headers aren't together, I can piece together enough to prove to the insurance company that I bought the camera lenses I'm reporting were stolen.

---> If whoever else asked about corrupt database output / search problems

---> reads this, please say what if anything you were able to find out?

• 3 weeks later...

No reply yet to the email request I sent on the 29th.

No luck downloading the folders in ZIP format to sort the text out myself (I see others have been reporting that doesn't work).

Waiting, philosophically ....

“The problems of three people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

Archived