Parser Error?

louisd

I'm trying to sort out your "don't have original headers anymore" as compared to "here's the Tracking URL" .....

Anyway, the "easy" guess at what's being shown is an AOL to AOL e-mail was reported ... and those "internal" AOL e-mails have no header ... so the only data shown in your sample appears to only include the data from SpamCop's POP of that account .... Are you using AOL and having SpamCOp POP that e-mail account?

Anyway, the "easy" guess at what's being shown is an AOL to AOL e-mail was reported ... and those "internal" AOL e-mails have no header ... so the only data shown in your sample appears to only include the data from SpamCop's POP of that account

100% correct! I just sent an "AOL to AOL" message between two of my screen names, then allowed the SC "popgate" to grab it, and once I popped it from SC, I ran it through the parser with exactly the same results. So, I'm sure that "louisd" is an SC Email user who has registered his mailhosts (there's evidence of that in the parse) and is having his AOL mail grabbed into his SC account (which is perfectly safe, despite erroneous warnings to the contrary in the SC FAQ).

The bottom line...we can't report "AOL to AOL" spam that gets automatically popped into our SC mail successfully. Hopefully, if an item like that is included in a batch of Quick Reporting items, the reports sent to "Internal spamcop handling: (mailsys)" and to the imaphost.com address won't cause any problems.

DT

My guess is that "Internal spamcop handling: (mailsys)" is giving someone (deputies and/or Julian) a heads up that the "Parser is blaming spamcop for spamming" so they can look at it and determine a fix.

Not to make matters worse, but one should consider that one of those "fixes" could be the "education" of the reporter ...??? This is one of those that (from the appearances of the page displayed) that there was an opportunity offered to "uncheck" the box for the "weird" result .... and that opportnity not taken advantage of ...????

Not to make matters worse, but one should consider that one of those "fixes" could be the "education" of the reporter ...???  This is one of those that (from the appearances of the page displayed) that there was an opportunity offered to "uncheck" the box for the "weird" result .... and that opportnity not taken advantage of ...????

No, because I think we're talking about a message that was reported as part of a bach of Held Mail (this topic should really be in the SC Email forum), which was probably reported using Quick Reporting, and you can't "uncheck" anything. At least that's the scenario I'm talking about here. While perusing the Subjects of my Held Mail, I can't tell if the messages were grabbed from my AOL address by SpamCop's popgate. Such messages would therefore get Quick Reported and so I'm only speculating/wondering/suggesting about the resulting reports that are generated.

DT

...also, when spams are "Quick Reported," reports are apparently NOT sent to the hosts of the spamvertised site(s), but only to the ISP of the email source. However, when you go back to the Tracking URL, the "reports would be sent to" entries include the spamvertised site host, even though the Quick Reporting did not result in reports being sent there.

I think that the FAQ on Quick Reporting needs to be revised and expanded.

DT

...also, when spams are "Quick Reported," reports are apparently NOT sent to the hosts of the spamvertised site(s), but only to the ISP of the email source. However, when you go back to the Tracking URL, the "reports would be sent to" entries include the spamvertised site host, even though the Quick Reporting did not result in reports being sent there.

Yep, that's what caused me to go back and delete well over half of my original post, taking that quick scroll down and seeing the website listed, I'd changed my mind about a Quick-Report being a possibility. My screw-up.

I think that the FAQ on Quick Reporting needs to be revised and expanded.

Ouch! .. stuff "in progress" still? ...

OK, so it's AOL to AOL spam. Yes, I didn't uncheck the report to Spamcop, I did however insert notes something to the effect of "I'm unclear what's going on here and submitted this so that it could be checked over. I'll uncheck on future e-mails like this."

I do quick report a number of e-mails though so I guess those will remain an issue. Shouldn't the popgate process insert a header line indicating the system it retrieved the mai lfrom so that the parse would track back to that originating system?

--Louis

Shouldn't the popgate process insert a header line indicating the system it retrieved the mai lfrom so that the parse would track back to that originating system?

Here's a sample of what appears in an "AOL to AOL" message that was brought in by the popgate:

Received: from popgate.cesmail.net [192.168.1.201]

by mailgate.cesmail.net with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.1)

for [spamcop address] (single-drop); Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:23:01 -0400 (EDT)

Above that line in the headers, things look like any other message received at a SpamCop.net address. Just below that line, however are two X fields, like this (presented without their data):

X-AOL-UID:

X-AOL-DATE:

(I've also seen these lines added just above the popgate Received line.) I think those are added by the "popgate process" and if so, that's something that the parser could be programmed to watch for, and perhaps treat those messages a bit differently, so as to avoid an problems resulting from including them in a Quick Reporting run.

Because we, as end users, can't tell if a given item in Held Mail is an "AOL to AOL" spam just by looking at the Subject line, it is really up to SpamCop's system to be able to deal with it.

DT

Archived