adding listservs to whitelist

cats

It appears that my whitelist is based on "from" addresses. This is a problem with the mail lists I belong to which include many hundreds of participants. Is there a way to include the "to" address of the listserv so that all messages from the list are passed? Thanks!

It appears that my whitelist is based on "from" addresses. This is a problem with the mail lists I belong to which include many hundreds of participants. Is there a way to include the "to" address of the listserv so that all messages from the list are passed? Thanks!

See http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/302.html

You can usually whitelist mailing lists based on the return-path field.

JT

Are you asking about adding things to your e-mail app rule set or is this something to do with a SpamCop e-mail account? If the former, you need to identify what software is in question. If the latter, you should go over into the E-Mail Forum (and assumedly JeffG will move this post to that group) .... But, at any rate, you need to identify just what and where the whitelist in question is ....

Ok. Would filters based on various fields also work to pass messages from listservs? Or is adding the "return-path" field to the whitelist preferred?

Ok. Would filters based on various fields also work to pass messages from listservs? Or is adding the "return-path" field to the whitelist preferred?

If it works, whitelisting of the return-path is preferred because whitelisting happens in real-time, whereas filtering only happens when you trigger it to happen.

If it works, whitelisting of the return-path is preferred because whitelisting happens in real-time, whereas filtering only happens when you trigger it to happen.

What about lists that have return adresses that look like this: <MV3X1QEJATAwE+MACAAAAAAAKbku3A[at]whatever.topica.com>

They seem to change with every message.

You can whitelist from the right side of the address. Be aware that the more generic, the more possibiity of allowing unwanted messages through.

For example, all of the following would work for that message. Choose the most unique version that works for that listserv (probably d or e dependng if the server changes)

a.MV3X1QEJATAwE+MACAAAAAAAKbku3A[at]whatever.topica.com

b.corrected by JT

c.corrected bt JT

d.whatever.topica.com

e.topica.com

Per JT: we only look for delimiters at dots and [at] so b and c would not match

(Thanks for the correction)

Steven is almost, but not quite, right. Actually, we only look for delimiters at dots and [at] so b and c would not match.

As he says, though, d and e are your best bets for whitelisting a list. Steven, if you want to edit your post, I'll just delete mine.

JT

Archived