AOL

maz

I'm not technical at all!

We suffered from the mail virus a while back, that was cleared up, but a couple of times now, we were spam blocked. I have no real reason why, it could be the virus issues, or php that we use might have caused email to look like spam, at least I've heard of that happening.

My host continually unravels these problems, the last of which we only noticed when sending mail to our users at AOL, we discovered a spam block and my host took care of it. But still no mail going to AOL users, I spoke with AOL again, they said the spam block was cleared but there is no return address, its in a loop, something about A.

I tried telling this to my host, I'm on a shared server, they told me to upgrade, that would be quite a cost we can't afford to get our own server. Besides AOL told me it didn't matter that we are on a shared server. So I'm confused as to how to unblock AOL. We are considering a new domain name, would that help if we exchanged the email name. But still its probably not good to abandon the domain our users know us by just for AOL.

Any good suggestions, or technical lingo to fix this?

Thank you,

maz

BTW: Thank you, since I signed up, I've only recieved about 2 spams all week, hurray!

Details needed for any kind of research or a response here. IP of the "shared server" ... in this case Domain name involved ... if you'll note traffic existing in the e-mail group, SpamCop is currently having its own issues with AOL. AOL does things there own way, perhaps you are also fallout of their latest advertising pitch ..."making a better Internet" <g>

Details needed for any kind of research or a response here.  IP of the "shared server" ... in this case Domain name involved ... if you'll note traffic existing in the e-mail group, SpamCop is currently having its own issues with AOL.  AOL does things there own way, perhaps you are also fallout of their latest advertising pitch ..."making a better Internet" <g>

19710[/snapback]

Well my host is on the case again, "Certain domains blocked due to reverse lookup failure."

I would think that be the case with other hosts too. I'm wondering if it ties, more, into their bad word blocks, similar to what Norten has done with sites with certain words, of which "spam" might be a classic example. I have removed a number of words from our site and menus, such as "support", how many non-profits don't know this?

In my case I wonder if it goes deeper to the fact we have the appropiate use of the word "exposure" in our domain name. I'm getting a new name for email just in case.

I'm waiting to see if its cleared now, if not then I'll try a the new domain name without the word "exposure" in it.

There might be some kind of logic that the word "spam" of cop not getting through either.

We'll see...

maz

New news yet, but this morning I received what looks to me more like your typical virus attachement, that I usually just delete.

Here is the info, I'm posting because it appears to be asking why is my mail spam blocked at aol.

So am I receiving a virus for being spam blocked at aol?

Fortunately I have Mac protection.

Since we are in the same boat, do utilize the information if it furthers the cause.

Regards,

maz

From june2607[at]aol.com Mon Nov  8 08:09:50 2004
Return-path: &lt;june2607[at]aol.com&gt;
Envelope-to: help[at]mercuryexposure.org
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:05:13 -0600
Received: from me3 by lion1.glypto.com with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.43)
	id 1CRC11-0007O5-24
	for help[at]mercuryexposure.org; Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:05:13 -0600
Received: from [64.136.69.65] (helo=mercuryexposure.org)
	by lion1.glypto.com with esmtp (Exim 4.43)
	id 1CRC0Z-0007Lw-71
	for help[at]mercuryexposure.org; Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:05:10 -0600
To: help[at]mercuryexposure.org
Subject: Spamed?
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:13:55 -0600
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016----=_NextPart_000_0016"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.1 (2004-10-22) on lion1.glypto.com
X-spam-Status: No, score=1.5 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_60,MIME_BOUND_NEXTPART,
	MISSING_MIMEOLE,NO_REAL_NAME,PRIORITY_NO_NAME autolearn=no 
	version=3.0.1
X-spam-Level: *
Message-Id: &lt;E1CRC11-0007O5-24[at]lion1.glypto.com&gt;

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0016----=_NextPart_000_0016
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Are you a spammer? (I found your email on a spammer website!?!)

------=_NextPart_000_0016----=_NextPart_000_0016
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="list_ed_help.zip"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="list_ed_help.zip"

&lt;attachment contents deleted by Wazoo, as they offer nothing to the discussion&gt;

------=_NextPart_000_0016----=_NextPart_000_0016--

Hi Maz!

Can I ask for some clarification please? It seems to me that SpamCop may not be directly involved in your problem but that you're simply asking those users who frequent these forums for advice.

Is that correct? As Wazoo noted you really haven't provided much information that will help anyone diagnose your problems.

The comment that your ISP says that you are blocked because you do not have reverse DNS entry is helpful. Get them to set up the reverse DNS entry.

Do you have SpamCop tracking information suggesting that might help us?

AOL may well be selective about your domain because of the word 'exposure' but I don't have any knowledge of the way AOL's spam blocks work.

You're really trying to thread a needle in a dark room without more data to help you identify the problem.

You appear to mercuryexposure.org

mail.mercuryexposure.org is 206.123.100.22

206.123.100.22 is not currently listed in bl.spamcop.net (or as far as I can tell in any other block list).

A DNS check did confirm the following:

206.123.100.22 has no reverse DNS entry; some mail servers may not accept your mail.

That would seem to be your immediate place to give some attention.

Andrew

My post above should have read, 'no new news yet'. Meaning that I'm still waiting for my host to fix the reverse DNS, I know that they have attempted to fix it in most cases, but for some unknown reason mine is not working still.

What happened is that I got put on mailabuse.org, that caused AOL to put a spam block, that was resolved and even AOL says I'm no longer spam blocked, but then it was the reverse addressing, that was fixed still I get replies that I'm spam blocked.

My host is still trying to resolve this. I'm getting a new domain name and may use that instead. It just seems that whatever is going on with AOL affects both of us.

my info is also in the header above.

maz

Back to the beginning.

I'm not technical at all!

We suffered from the mail virus a while back, that was cleared up, but a couple of times now, we were spam blocked. I have no real reason why, it could be the virus issues, or php that we use might have caused email to look like spam, at least I've heard of that happening.

php is just a bit of programming/scripting language. I'm really guessing at your write-up that you are probablt talking about a php-nuke application. Just recently doing some searching around on that, there are massive security issues in that application, the specifics appear to change with each version for some reason. But yes, being compromised by spammers and spew being sent out by the ton-loads is one of the issues. Again, the rejoinder on "specifics" ... even "the mail virus" is a fairly strange remark, in that there are only a few hundreds or even thousands of these out there, depending on how you define/classify them.

My host continually unravels these problems, the last of which we only noticed when sending mail to our users at AOL, we discovered a spam block and my host took care of it. But still no mail going to AOL users,

A bit unclear here .... "my host" took care of it ... but still blocked ..??? what was resolved by your host? For that matter, what was the actual "problem" at that point?

I spoke with AOL again, they said the spam block was cleared but there is no return address, its in a loop, something about A.

I'm going to start with asking about what appears to be an unfinished sentence. Then I'll ask about the explanation for your phrase "there is no return address" ... I suspect that these items being defined might actually explain the "its in a loop" statement. Maybe not..??

I tried telling this to my host, I'm on a shared server, they told me to upgrade, that would be quite a cost we can't afford to get our own server. Besides AOL told me it didn't matter that we are on a shared server. So I'm confused as to how to unblock AOL.

"Upgrading" to your own server would only change the IP addresses involved, yet your focus is on the Domain name, which wouldn't be affected by a server change.

We are considering a new domain name, would that help if we exchanged the email name. But still its probably not good to abandon the domain our users know us by just for AOL.

You are asking for a judgement call from folks in the SpamCop support area on how to handle some issue relating to your host and thier interaction with AOL. You've got some responses, but ... it still boils down to that you are going to have to really get with these folks and pin down the issue to the exact problem ... is it the IP address or is it the Domain name involved.

Any good suggestions, or technical lingo to fix this?

In the immediate mode, it sounds like simply firing up another e-mail account somewhere else, putting up a note of explanation on the existing web-site as to why AOL e-mail is going to be handled from this other e-mail account, would /should help bridge things on the short-term. You'd want to do something like this even if you build a whole new identity anyway, so start now.

BTW: Thank you, since I signed up, I've only recieved about 2 spams all week, hurray!

You must be doing something wrong <g> I've been reporting for years and the stuff still comes in <g> But, thanks for the accolade!

Archived