How clueless can I b?

Candie

Don't worry, it is not you who are clueless but Micro$oft. Outlook mangles the headers on receipt, third-party software is needed to submit successfully. Outlook was never really intended to be used as an e-mail client, it's a PIM with email bolted (badly) on. If you can, switch to a proper email client such as Thunderbird (free).

For Betsy & Derek: Outlook Web Access is not Outlook, it is an ASP-based web application meant to approximate the basic functions of Outlook, allowing people to access MS Exchange mailboxes using a web browser in stead of a mail client such as Outlook. It is very useful when people are out of the office or their laptops are fried and they still need to access their e-mail. I suppose one could also use it in place of the more expensive MS Outlook program itself.

For Candie: I use a 5.5-based OWA and I'm pretty sure that I cannot obtain the kind of header information required by SpamCop; version 2000 or 2003 may be different. If there's some way you could POP a copy of your mail with Outlook Express or access it with Outlook (either way, you'll have to talk to the mail administrator), then you should be able to access the headers no problem. I recommend OE first because it doesn't require you to use the 'workaround' form that outlook may require, but be sure to check the box that says "leave mail on server" when configuring it or you'llfind your Exchange mailbox emptied!

In the Microsoft Outlook Web Access implementations I've seen, either Microsoft has not provided a capability to view (much less forward) sufficient headers to report spam using SpamCop, or the admins have turned off that capability. Candie should definitely be talking to the mailserver admins about alternatives that would allow reporting using SpamCop, as well as allowing basic troubleshooting that better email clients allow through the capability to view the original headers.

For Betsy & Derek: Outlook Web Access is not Outlook, it is an ASP-based web application meant to approximate the basic functions of Outlook, allowing people to access MS Exchange mailboxes using a web browser in stead of a mail client such as Outlook.

Ah thanks! if the OP had capitilised it it might have helpe us to avoid that error!

I recommend OE first

And I stongly recommend that you don't let that piece of cr*p anywhere near your computer! It really is asking for trouble.

Archived