Spam Uses My Own Email Address

brython

I've looked around a good bit on the website and the forum, but I can't seem to find out whether or not I will be blocking my own email address if I report spam that has nefariously put my own email address into the header. The IP addresses don't appear to be mine, but I don't know if that will make a difference. I'm hesitant to report these emails without knowing for sure.

Does anyone have any idea?

I apologize in advance if this is posted elsewhere, and I didn't notice it.

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

GRS

It's pretty hard to guess at what you were looking for or using for search terms .... but even starting with the Forum FAQ "Read before Posting", it shouldn't have taken you long at all to come up with the fact that no one cares what your e-mail address is .. the parsing and reporting tool works on IP addresses.

I've looked around a good bit on the website and the forum, but I can't seem to find out whether or not I will be blocking my own email address

24664[/snapback]

SpamCop does not block email addresses. The SCBL (SpamCop Blocking List) only lists and does not block, but some admins use it to block or filter email, based on IP Addresses.
if I report spam that has nefariously put my own email address into the header. The IP addresses don't appear to be mine, but I don't know if that will make a difference. I'm hesitant to report these emails without knowing for sure.

Does anyone have any idea?

24664[/snapback]

Reporting such spam should not in and of itself have any negative repercussions for you.
I apologize in advance if this is posted elsewhere, and I didn't notice it.

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

GRS

24664[/snapback]

You're welcome.

whether or not I will be blocking my own email address

Email addresses do not get listed, only the IP address of the source.

I'm hesitant to report these emails without knowing for sure.

You are not actually reporting anything until you confirm where the reports are going. That is your last chance to notice that the report is going to your ISP or mail provider. Try it and see.

With those tthings being said, SpamCop does not use any email address to determine the source of any message.

It's pretty hard to guess at what you were looking for or using for search terms .... but even starting with the Forum FAQ "Read before Posting", it shouldn't have taken you long at all to come up with the fact that no one cares what your e-mail address is .. the parsing and reporting tool works on IP addresses.

24667[/snapback]

My sincerest apologies. I searched for a good hour searching for "spam Uses My Own Email Address", getting nothing. Nor was it clear that such a topic would be in the parsing section when I was looking at the "read before posting" entry.

Again, my apologies.

• 4 weeks later...
My sincerest apologies. I searched for a good hour searching for "spam Uses My Own Email Address", getting nothing. Nor was it clear that such a topic would be in the parsing section when I was looking at the "read before posting" entry.

Again, my apologies.

24690[/snapback]

...Ah, yes -- the search engine is not that "fuzzy" -- it expects the *exact* word or phrase that's in the postings, which you could not be expected to know. Wazoo was saying that he thought you might have found an answer by reading the Forum FAQ "Read before Posting" item. Any ideas for us to help make things easier for others in the future?

Archived