Login cookies don't seem to be working

emboehm

Has something changed with the login cookies. I have cookies enabled on several different browsers at work and at home. Even though I am selecting a login period of 1 month, I am prompted for my username and password on every new connection.

Has something changed or do I need to change something?

They are working for me, both my free account and paid account. Not sure if this is in the FAQ pinned at the top of each forum...a quick glance did not reveal anything promising.

The general rule is to dump cache and cookies, restart the browser, etc.

Many moons ago, there was some coding problem on the web-page. I'm 100% sure that I received an e-mail that said it was fixed, but .... back when it was 'broken' the suggestion was to select "year" instead of "month" .... maybe a back-up, maybe an older copy of stuff used to populate new servers ...???

I tried reporting some spam through the mail forwarding system, but got an error message indicating that "no source IP found" and "no tracking information in header".

I then tried loggin on with cookies and that was out of order. When is the logon with cookies going to be fixed?

ZCorker

:blink:

No the login with cookies is definitely not working. Would anyone know of an address for spamcop system administration? I would like to report the problem. I used to have this address, but somehow misplaced it.

ZCorker

Has something changed with the login cookies. I have cookies enabled on several different browsers at work and at home. Even  though I am selecting a login period of 1 month, I am prompted for my username and password on every new connection.

Has something changed or do I need to change something?

26115[/snapback]

No the login with cookies is definitely not working.  Would anyone know of an address for spamcop system administration?  I would like to report the problem.  I used to have this address, but somehow misplaced it.

ZCorker

And only you and now one other person is having problems with using cookies. If it were not working globally, there would be lots of traffic in here (as seen when other problems hit).

I use it constantly, but have it set to expire in 1 year. It is working. Perhaps there is one mirror that is not working. Where are you connecting from/to? What IP does www.spamcop.net translate into for you?

C:\>nslookup

Default Server: localhost

Address: 192.168.1.25

> www.spamcop.net

Server: localhost

Address: 192.168.1.25

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: a369.g.akamai.net

Addresses: 199.232.159.230, 199.232.159.232

Aliases: www.spamcop.net, www.spamcop.net.edgesuite.net

First of all, would you please take a look at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3522 ... the excessive quoting is totally unnecessary ....

As far as the cookie issue, what are the odds that you're also using some kind of "speed up the Internet" configuration/setting? Most of these "speed" things include the use of cache at the ISP, storing web pages so that they are delivered "fast" .. of course, the catch is that you are no longer talking to the actual web page directly .... not knowing what you actual set-up looks like (firewall, router, browser settings, this is kind of a shooting in the dark thing, as there aren't the normal zillions of complaints that would be showing if it was a SpamCop server problem ...

Hi Wazoo:

I am not running accelerated software. I am just using a standard paid IP account via Juno. Juno is among the most poorly serviced networks in the world. They suffer from network ghosting and a host of other problems. Their phone lines are answered in India. Approximately 75% of their local dialup lines from the Renton and South Seattle Area will not connect. They use third party contractors for their lines. I don't want to point the finger, but there is a possibility that Juno could be a culprit.

The login prompt worked for me a few times several days ago, but then it quit. Based on the messages that I am receiving, I believe there is a problem on Spamcop side because the information is entered directly through spamcops website. From what I can tell, the spamcop server doesn't appear to be clearing the buffer after a cookie setting is "incorrectly set" on my side and then corrected. Instead of reflecting the correct cookie setting, spam cop server is holding on to the previous settings which denied cookies.

I could be wrong, but believe the problem is on spamcop's end.

ZCorker

<_<

Just trying to rule a few things out. Your posting IP shows that you are actually using Level3 for access, so would tend to suggest that the connection from your system to there is more than likely acceptable.

We move to

03/31/05 23:57:25 Slow traceroute 207.151.118.144

Trace 207.151.118.144 ...

129.250.5.2 RTT: 66ms TTL: 16 (p64-0-0-0.r20.mlpsca01.us.bb.verio.net ok)

129.250.5.121 RTT: 72ms TTL: 16 (p16-2-0-0.r21.lsanca01.us.bb.verio.net ok)

129.250.29.131 RTT: 75ms TTL: 16 (ge-1-0.a01.lsanca02.us.ra.verio.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

198.172.117.163 RTT: 90ms TTL: 16 (ge-2-3-0.a02.lsanca02.us.ce.verio.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

130.152.181.49 RTT: 71ms TTL: 16 (ln-usc-gsr-vlan2004.ln.net ok)

* * * failed

207.151.118.144 RTT: 72ms TTL: 52 (a207.151.118.144.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])

Akamai site is responding (though noting my last attempt at working things out with them wasn't very helpful .. something about not dealing with peons <g>)

As I log in/out all day long (to the web-form page) and there are others here stating no issues ... I'm going to key on your statement "spam cop server is holding on to the previous settings which denied cookies" ... Technically, cookies don't work like that. You tell your browser you want to go to a web page, it looks up the address, gets ready to go there, and during the negotiation of your end sending the HTTP request and the web page server answering that request, your system will look to see of a cookie exists for that domain/page .. if so, that cookie (data) is also presented to the HTTP server. Any updates, changes, additions would normally result in a newer/updated cookie being written back to your system to be used in the next set of web page calls to the same place. In other words, the data within the cookie is generated on the web page server, but there is no storage of that particular data (OK, I am glossing over the details that some data is / may be hard coded into the web page, but that would include nothing about "you" .... some PHP / scriptedpages may use your existing cookie data to make decisions on the resulting display, but ... getting a bit off the mark now ..)

So the follow on questions may be what browser is in use, what are the settings now for cookie handling, is there a "trusted site" setting available, things like that ... the assumption has been made that by now you have completely cleared/deleted all existing cookies, cache, history, re-booted, etc. ....

Last I heard from Suresh when he worked there, Juno forced web-acceleration using a [nearly] transparent proxy. Any other Juno users reading this are welcome to post whether or not they are having a similar problem.

Hi y'all;

I started having the same login snafu Ap. 4 as well. I got around it by going to <members.spamcop.net> and re-entering/re-initializing with my login info at each access; but Spamcop Login and Spamcop Sending Reports won't allow me to log in no-how. My cookies are enabled and I haven't changed anything as far as I know. I wondered if it could have had something to do with the change to DST over the W/E.

rooster

Hi Wazoo;

What sense do you make of <members.spamcop.net> remembering my P/W, even tho I had not used it previously, whereas Spamcop Login and Spamcop Sending Reports, which I used extensively, keep responding with the "Forgot your Password?" prompt?

Hi Wazoo;

What sense do you make of <members.spamcop.net> remembering my P/W, even tho I had not used it previously, whereas Spamcop Login and Spamcop Sending Reports, which I used extensively, keep responding with the "Forgot your Password?" prompt?

26297[/snapback]

members.spamcop.net does not use the cookie login, instead using the pop up windows login. You probably have used it in the past and had clicked the "Save password" box.

Hi Steve;

"...pop up windows login." Exactly; but why does it 'remember', but the other 2 seem to think I have forgotten? 

rooster

boundary bay, bc

26299[/snapback]

Because something is wrong with your login cookie, specifically (if IE) Cookie:username[at]www.spamcop.net/ Delete the www.spamcop.net cookie, clear cache, and things should be back to normal.

The pop up login does not use cookies which is why many people prefer it. The username and password are saved elsewhere (regisrty?), not in a cookie.

I have had no interruption in my cookie login to www.spamcop.net. I use a one year expiration, however.

Hi again Steve;

The "username[at]www.spamcop.net/" cookie is gone.

Something peculiar happened when B.C. switched to DST Ap. 4th. My computer clock advanced itself to September 2005, and this threw a couple of things askew which I didn't notice for a couple of days. Perhaps this effectively 'stale dated' my login feature, eh?

If I choose to reset my cookie, do I have to change to a new password?

Which brings me to a really DAQ: I adopted the habit of minimizing the Report Page and leaving it in my Start Tray without logging out and/or closing the page all the time. My 16 mB, 133 mHz wheezer takes a while to page and d/l, so I am always looking for little efficiencies like this wherever I can find them. It just occured to me there is probably a good reason the Logout option is there in the first place and I am wondering if I have been misusing SC resources inadvertantly.

rooster

If I choose to reset my cookie, do I have to change to a new password?

You should not have to, for this reson anyway.

It just occured to me there is probably a good reason the Logout option is there in the first place and I am wondering if I have been misusing SC resources inadvertantly.

Logging out is a security issue. Resources stolen boils down to the traffic used in downloading the web-page content. On the other hand, there is a memory impact on your machjine, as this implies your browser is loaded, the web-page loaded, so there is that memory 'locked' for hat process, thus cutting down on memory (freely) available for other tasks (technically, this data is probably spending most of the time in the swap file on your hard drive, but .... )

Archived