Another change for HotMail (or not?)

Wazoo

Just received this from MSN ....

MSN HOTMAIL MEMBER COMMUNICATION

Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer

experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services,

Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via

Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and

valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN

account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to

continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook

Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will

not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express. 

The "at this time" sure seems a bit out of place .. noting that the rest of the message was a sales pitch for a 'special' deal on Microsoft Office Outlook Live which includes a copy of Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 for Subscription Services ... I can't afford a SpamCop e-mail account but Microsoft thinks I'll spring for a bastardized version of Outlook as a subscription service????

Of course, even funnier was that a newsletter from Microsoft - At Home and Work was placed into the Junk Folder <g>

Hmmm...that's the text of something that was sent out back on Feb. 23rd...please double-check the date on the item, Wazoo. I googled this phrase:

"continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook"

and found hits (web and newsgroups) all pointing to the Feb. 23rd message, but nothing since then. I think you might be reporting stale news...

DT

I finally received my copy last night (April 13th). I found it in my SC Held Mail folder (which I process daily) because I have SC grab my Hotmail messages. It was held due to a SpamAssassin score of 5.1. I guess I could put them on my whitelist....but no, I think I won't. ;-)

DT

Historically, based on the way that outages seemed to effect HotMail users, the userbase / access controls are spread out over numerous servers ... for instance, one outage would only effect users with account names starting with "el" through "fj" .... one would probably safely assume that these outgoing e-mail / advertisements are also sent out in staggered batches simply to keep from overloading their own systems <g>

Archived