Contacts alias field does nothing?

I did a search on contacts alias which gave me 8 pages. I saw lots of matches for threads about report issues or identity alias. But none seem to hit on the fact that filling in the alias field in contacts does something.

What are you all using it for? I tried putting an alias in a message To: field using webmail. Expanding on it finds no address!

There's no help written for it .

There's no previous post I could find on it.

What are you all using it for?  I tried putting an alias in a message To:  field using webmail.  Expanding  on it finds no address!

There's no help written for it .

There's no previous post I could find on it.

26512[/snapback]

My answer is I don't use it. However, I only have 3 addresses in my webmail address book. quick (for quick reporting), submit (for full reporting) and my work email address for forwarding things of interest.

Shooting from the dark, but here's a shot at something;

http://www.horde.org/faq/user/

2.11 How can I quickly access the entries in my Contacts List?

[iMP 2.2] Instead of opening the Contacts List dialog, you can save time when sending mail to people in your Contacts List by typing their nickname in the appropriate header field in the Compose window itself.

[iMP 3.0] Instead of opening the Address book window, you can save time when sending mail to people in your Address book by typing their name, or part of their name, in the appropriate header field in the Compose window itself and the using the Compose window's Expand Names button to expand the name to the full address. If multiple Address book entries match, you will be given a selection list of all the matching entries from which you may select the desired address.

[iMP 3.1] In addition the the Expand Names button discussed above in IMP 3.0, IMP 3.1 has an Address Book button which can be used to look up names in the Turba Address Books (if available).

[iMP 2.2] typing their nickname

[iMP 3.0] Expand Names button to expand the name to the full address.

26523[/snapback]

2.2. That's what I meant too. Is Alias different hummm :blink:

3.0 Yep, that I tried thinking it would do something with the alias name in mail header. NO LUCK. So you are kinda guessing along the lines I experimented. Thanks for validating the technique with the FAQ you pointed out.

So maybe I came upon a feature that's not to be utilized in this otherwise fine webmail.

I did the quick search thing and that's the closest thing I could see that kind of matched .. I can't remember when the last time I went through their user support Forum was, but I recall it also being pretty massive. Kind of buried right now with income taxes (so many waiting for that last minute ..???) and ir's 50/50 right now that I may disappear for the week-end .. something about trying to fire up some antique farm engines (all I know now is that they are green, but probably not John Deere, and that a spark plug for one them came in at just under $800 USD ....????) So suggesting, don't wait for me .. if you can figure this out, that'd be great <g>

Archived