Adjunct SpamCop Reporting Tools

forrie

For quite some time, I've been using a version-altered addon for Thunderbird, based on Habul, to quick submit my spam reporting.   Unfortunately, recent changes in Thunderbird have made this difficult, so I downgraded to maintain the functionality.

My question is are there other tools or addons out there, even with different approaches, that I could continue to use or that may not depend on the individual MUA?   I don't necessarily want to automate the reporting as I do review my spam folder to ensure nothing gets mistaken.

Thanks.

What I did, for the Habul XPI, was to unzip it and edit the install.rdf file, to increment the MaxVersion number for Thunderbird.  In this case I just increased it to 68.* or something so it would last.   

The code itself seems very elementary, though I'm not an XUL programmer.   I can't imagine it would be difficult for an experienced programmer to fix it up for current TB builds.   That having been said, I'd also be in favor of an external tool that only needs access to the IMAP folder itself, though admittedly it might be more time consuming -- but the reporting is what I want.   If I have to go around and avoid addons because of API changes, fine.

The original developer "legolas<something>" abandoned it.  When I emailed him a while go, he summarily deleted it from SourceForge etc.  Tho, he did send me an archive of what he had.   Can you post the link to "Report spam"?   Does it work similarly?

ACTUALLY:  wouldn't it be beneficial if SpamCop had and maintained their own addons to report to their service?

Edited by forrie

if thunderbird takes after firefox then, unless habul gets worked on, the tool will be useless since xul is being removed permanently.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( 

BTW, I think I remember legolas... wasn't he also an abuse admin like afterburner and nyarlahotep?

Edited by RobiBue

1 hour ago, forrie said:

I think it would be good if SpamCop supported their own addons,

Have you noticed how much effort is put into the parser to handle, explain how to report from, all the different email apps and net work applications?  gmail, outlook come to mind.

If you add to those every changing issues,  the need to interface with those file systems, GUI it becomes a big task.  Might explain why there are not maintained applications. JMHO

1 hour ago, forrie said:

Yeah, I can see that point (LKing).

I'd be Ok with a CLI tool that I can just run that will go out and authenticate to my IMAP accounts, process the spam (after I visually weeded it out).  

You have to try to get better than the Bot SpamCop
For windows free "Whois"
IP abuse only
Both IP and Registrar even better to send report to both IP abuse and Registrar