Reporting with OE6 question

sstephy

That wasn't part of the "Some of the items I'm trying to show here;" that drove this entry.  Primary focus was the security settings, then trying to demonstrate why the simple "Forward" action wasn't sufficient for the SpamCop parser to chew on.

27440[/snapback]

Jeff, I'm a new user and just want to clarify the process before I mess up and send something in the wrong way. I use outlook express and IE.

The way I understand the instructions is that I'm to go to the properties of the spam mail and copy the headers and other info that will help spam Cop "trace" the origin of the e-mail.

Then, I paste it into an e-mail and send it to the e-mail address I've been given to use. Is this correct?

I saw your detailed post from 1/30/05 and that's the way you explained it then and I understand it with no questions, but have seen other confusing posts and just want to clarify the correct instructions.

Thanks for your help, sstephy

Edit: 2005/05/12 14:01 EDT - Jeff G. replaced the missing snapback link.

Also, please note that "Forward as Attachment" for spam submittal to SpamCop is limited to 50 attachments or 100,000 bytes (whichever comes first).

27435[/snapback]

Ok, now another new member's question. After I were to submit 50 "forward as attachment" for spam submittal to SpamCop, what are the other methods to use to report spam?

Yes, I've read all the instructions, but they haven't been very clear at all, other than what I've come upon when reading your posts on the forum. (< :

Thanks!

Edit: 2005/05/12 13:52 EDT - Jeff G. replaced the missing snapback link.

Posts were extracted from the "How to use..." section and moved 'here' .... sstephy PM'd and advised of the split/move of the first post (the next post was merged into this new Topic, it being typed up/posted while the first Moderating action was in process)

Yes, I've read all the instructions, but they haven't been very clear at all

My suggestion has always been to start small, then expand. You've gone through the OE handling stuff I wrote up in the "How to Use ..." .. follow those steps to get a "complete" copy of the spam .. paste this into the form at your logged-in www.spamcop.net page ... (suggestion is to set your Prefences to show Full Technical details) ... see how things actually work.

Then move on to try an e-mail submittal. Again, one spam in that submittal, see the resilts from that action, making sure that things are working OK. Then make that leap to multiple spams in one e-mail submission ... at this point, you should be able to quickly note if something went wrong.

In particular, the evaluation of the parser results to make sure that you are not reporting yourself (one of the side benefits of running your reporting accounts through the MailHost configuration sequence is minimizing the odds of doing just that)

what are the other methods to use to report spam?

I'm not sure what you're asking there. Use of the paste-your-spam-in-the-box web fotm is one way "to report" .. the e-mail submittal action was an added capability for those that complained about having to sit on the screen to repeatedly submit their spam (see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=27884 )

Ok, now another new member's question.  After I were to submit 50 "forward as attachment" for spam submittal to SpamCop, what are the other methods to use to report spam?

I belive you will find that the "50 attachment limit" is per email limit not a life time total.

Thanks Jeff, you answered all my questions about e-mail submittal and using the on-line form.

You said in your reply: you should be able to quickly note if something went wrong.

In particular, the evaluation of the parser results to make sure that you are not reporting yourself.

How will I know if I've done just that -- reported myself! Yikes!

Thanks again, sstephy

Ok, now another new member's question.  After I were to submit 50 "forward as attachment" for spam submittal to SpamCop, what are the other methods to use to report spam?

27920[/snapback]

I have edited the post you quoted to include " PER SUBMITTAL EMAIL" in order to reduce the confusion you experienced. I'm sorry about any part I had in causing that confusion. Of course, once you have submitted the spam, you need to "Report spam Now" or click on the links in the resulting emails in order to actually have the opportunity to report the spam you have submitted.

Also, please don't remove the snapback links - they're there for a reason.

How will I know if I've ... reported myself

27926[/snapback]

Your ISP's reporting address will appear as the intended recipient of your Report. If you actually send the report to your ISP, if they are nice, they'll send you a gentle reminder of what you're doing wrong, and ask you not to do it again. If they're not so nice, they'll warn you not to do it again, and ask the Deputies to warn you too. If they're uncaring and bureaucratic, they'll cut you off and/or suspend your access. And if they're really bad, they'll charge you for the privilege.

Thanks Jeff, you answered all my questions about e-mail submittal and using the on-line form.

Not sure what other dialog you and Jeff G. may have had, but if you ask, he'd advise that he's much better looking <g>

You said in your reply:  you should be able to quickly note if something went wrong.

In particular, the evaluation of the parser results to make sure that you are not reporting yourself.

How will I know if I've done just that -- reported myself!  Yikes!

Part of the 'agreement' / rules / and such are that the reporter is responsible for which reports go out and where they get sent .. the SpamCop parsing and reporting engine is just a tool ... the recommendation to start with the form parse of a single spam is that you can easily see what's going on .. the full Technical details may seem overwhelming at first, but it does show the logic used in deciding what targets get selected. The easy answer to your "Yikes!" would be something obvious like a report going to your own ISP ... however, this isn't always that abvious, depending on who you ISP is, what type of account you've got, and the assignment of the controlling interest of a particular IP block of addresses .... Another reason for the 'start small' suggestion ...

way back before mailhosts I got myself in a bit of trouble because I didn't recognize the reporting address as belonging to my own ISP.

I.e., I use an ASME.org alias, which uses Postini for filtering, and then goes to my hotmail account.

So, the order it goes throught to reach me, Postini->ASME->hotmail, made for a couple layers that were not apparant to me. the problem occurred for anything going past Postini through ASME.org, as they used non-standard internal routing or something, causing SC to list them as the source. However, the reporting address was a fastnet address, so until I got clued in by ASME and the deputies (big clue-by-four, still have the lump), I didn't recognize the problem.

Mailhosts has mainly fixed this, but what's the easiest way for a user to test for the addresses that indicate reporting themselves, especially for people with several layers on their side, any of which you'd want to recognize if it popped up?

what's the easiest way for a user to test for the addresses that indicate reporting themselves, especially for people with several layers on their side, any of which you'd want to recognize if it popped up?

27985[/snapback]

Test reporting legitimate emails, making sure that the reports would go to the correct places, then cancel the reports. For instance, you could have emailed yourself in Hotmail, and seen if the report would go to your real ISP, Hotmail, ASME, Postini, or one of their providers. The right answer there would be your real ISP. For Gmail users using Gmail webmail, of course, the right answer would be Google (for now, until they get their act together).

Mailhosts has mainly fixed this, but what's the easiest way for a user to test for the addresses that indicate reporting themselves, especially for people with several layers on their side, any of which you'd want to recognize if it popped up?

As you suggest, (emphasizing what I'd said a few posts prior,) sometimes it's not so easy. The easy response would be "learn to read headers" ... probably setting up the grounds for a bit of immediate hostility. However, one has to start somewhere.

In the example you offer, the first step is as I suggested earlier in this Topic .. small steps. One might have to go further in this example .. showing full Technical details on several submittals, taking a few notes on each, and then canceling these results until one can sort out what servers are in common to all ... (actually this is a bit of what the MailHost configuration is based on .. running a check through each step/server and making a few notes) .. only after you have this picture of the flow of "your" e-mail would then want to actually start submitting and then sending reports. Yes, I know this flies against the normal flow of the new user experience <g>

Archived