Spammer has own servers and fake website

Kojote

How do you stop a spammer that has their own servers? I have traced a spam back to a particular IP. After some investigation, I found out that the IP is associated with a "web hosting" business. This business is actually a cover-up for the spammer. How would I go about reporting this spammer?

If you give us the domain name and the IP, we can provide more specific help. In concept, you might need to go "upstream," to the company that provides connectivity to the host of the spammer. You can determine this using traceroutes and the various IP registries, such as ARIN.

DT

Sounds like some of the stuff I've been getting - the old PRODUCTTESTERSNEEDED (their caps) and many many variants has resurfaced, typical IP 63.243.148.201 which appears to belong to MailCompanyX of California and numerous other places with an upstream of Teleglobe Inc of Montreal which is known to ROKSO. I conclude there is little point in advising these people of what they already know. Maybe send them copies of that South Park episode where the USA invades Canada? Maybe not, Senderbase finds a link to EZ Net of Pakistan and didn't the USA already ...? Sorry, the Devil made me do it, of course they didn't, but seriously where does EZ Net come in and is there any point in trying to advise Teleglobe?

Well...when I run that IP through ARIN, and look at the listing for MailCompanyX, I do come up with a California telephone number, and my inclination in cases like that is to call them up and discuss the spamming with them. I've got cheap long distance, so I don't mind spending a few cents trying to see how far I can get with a situation like that on the phone...which probably isn't all that far.

BTW, I googled the phone number, and it also shows up on this page:

http://needyouropinion.info/index-5.html

DT

my inclination in cases like that is to call them up and discuss the spamming with them.

28440[/snapback]

Thanks for that! I was waiting for the OP to come back, but hopefully enough has been discussed to be of use for the initial inquiry.

Interesting, I would have been hesitant about calling but I guess you're right, why not take it to them? Little more risk than any other contact now that you mention it (always bearing in mind that these are dedicated "marketers" or worse).

Archived