Why geographic variation in spam source?

DCSmooth

As a geographer, I was absolutely intrigued when I found postini's map of spam spewing sources around the world, which is also linked near the bottom of the forum FAQ:

http://postini.com/stats/map_window_dha.html

Many interesting questions arise from viewing this map, including:

* Why is France such a hot spot?

* Why Alberta and not the rest of Canada?

* Why does the red band from New Jersey to North Carolina seem to skip Maryland's borders completely?

Is there some craziness in the politics of some areas that makes them extremely favorable havens for spammers?

And on the other foot, in cases such as the seemingly spewless State of Maryland, does the map reflect some sort of statewide-spam legislation that is actually working?

(Obviously, the map is only as accurate as Postini's data, so I realize that quirky regions might reflect wholes in their data rather than actual spam trends, but still the areas that stand out on this map are interesting.)

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's theories or comments.

Thanks (and yes I know I'm a map geek) :)

Dan

OK, now that I check it a few hours later, I realize that it's a dynamic map that's updated quite often. My references of Alberta and France being spam hot spots are no longer valid.

It is interesting though that Maryland still stands out on the map as being spam-free.

It is interesting though that Maryland still stands out on the map as being spam-free.

28743[/snapback]

OK, I will be your straight man - Maryland holds spamming to be a felony, a substantive crime - coincidence?

http://mlis.state.md.us/2004rs/billfile/hb1320.htm

Actually, I understand there may be constitutional problems with the bill but maybe ISPs aren't ready to test that? Spammers have little idea where their stuff is going to end up so I'd not expect it to affect *their* behavior very much or very quickly (unless they were residents).

Interestingly enough, 40-50 miles east of Washington D.C. only had some DSL made available within the last two years, cable companies only now offering high speed connections. Dialog with one of the larger ISPs out there has them stating that they aren't ready to invest in this 'new' technology, apparently based on the fact that they still have so many dial-up customers in the DelMarVa area (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia)

(Thinking to myself, can you say 'Good-Bye'?)

Relatives in a Delaware suburb of Philadelphia may be going broadband as soon as U. of Maryland cuts off their last dialup account (due to recent graduation of their last child). They finally got cable a few years ago (Cox).

Archived