Server Authentication

Hi Apologies if the answer to this is on here somewhere I have tried looking for it honest!!

Anyway here is my question..

I am using outlook to POP my Spamcop mail account (mail.spamcop.net) as the incoming mail POP3 setting for my Spamcop account and mail.btinternet.com

as the outgoing SMTP server (my ISP is BTinternet) this worked fine until BTinternet started using authentication on their outgoing server...they require the 'my server requires authentication' checkbox to be checked now and my spamcop account fails with the box checked and without it being checked.

Is there anyway round this??? I guess I could forward my Spamcop mail to another e mail address but I assume that means I wouldn't be able to send from it??

...Although I probably shouldn't be weighing in, here, as I don't POP ... Does your version of Outlook allow you to "Test Account Settings"? If so, what error message(s) do you get when you try it? If not, do you have Outlook Express available to you? I gather from other postings to these fora that it's better than Outlook for interfacing with SpamCop.

...Although I probably shouldn't be weighing in, here, as I don't POP ... Does your version of Outlook allow you to "Test Account Settings"?  If so, what error message(s) do you get when you try it?  If not, do you have Outlook Express available to you?  I gather from other postings to these fora that it's better than Outlook for interfacing with SpamCop.

29094[/snapback]

Hi...Thanks for the info...Think I may have solved the problem.

When I check the 'My Server Requires Authentication' box on my Spamcop account

the server asks for a user name and password which is pretty difficult as spamcop doesn't reside on my ISP's server as its a BTinternet server!!!

Anyway that said I do have a Btinternet mail account and password which I have put in the user name and password box and it seems to accept that...I now seem to be able to send and receive mail using my Spamcop account with no problems.

Don't really understand why what I've done works but it does!!

Hi...Thanks for the info...Think I may have solved the problem.

29096[/snapback]

...Excellent! :) <g>
When I check the 'My Server Requires Authentication' box on my Spamcop account

the server asks for a user name and password which is pretty difficult as spamcop doesn't reside on my ISP's server as its a BTinternet server!!!

Anyway that said I do have a Btinternet mail account and password which I have put in the user name and password box and it seems to accept that...I now seem to be able to send and receive mail using my Spamcop account with no problems.

Don't really understand why what I've done works but it does!!

29096[/snapback]

...Really? That's exactly what I would have expected. I would think it would want your BTinternet user ID and password so that it can authenticate you on the BTinternet server, which is what it sounds like it's doing.

Moved this Topic from "MailHost Configuration" to the "SpamCop E-Mail account" Forum ... subject matter has nothing to do with the MailHost configuration of a reporting account. User is on-line and apparently posting something, so PM not seen as needed right now.

Moved this Topic from "MailHost Configuration" to the "SpamCop E-Mail account" Forum ... subject matter has nothing to do with the MailHost configuration of a reporting account.  User is on-line and apparently posting something, so PM not seen as needed right now.

29102[/snapback]

When I checked the authentication box it was trying to use my spamcop account details on the BTinternet server which understandably it didn't like!!

I could receive mail from my spamcop account but not send it as it would fail.

I'm still not sure why they want my BTinternet details to allow me to use my Spamcop account on their server...It worked ok before :angry: !!??

Still has nothing to do with a MailHost configuration of a reporting account.

You make no mention of what version of Outlook is in use. So, while shooting in the dark, I'll use the just pulled up Outlook Express configuratin settings and ask what should be the same questions;

You "checked the 'requires authentication' box .. did you then also attempt to follow the "Settings" button and fill in the data fields / select check-boxes there?

Still has nothing to do with a MailHost configuration of a reporting account.

You make no mention of what version of Outlook is in use.  So, while shooting in the dark, I'll use the just pulled up Outlook Express configuratin settings and ask what should be the same questions;

You "checked the 'requires authentication' box .. did you then also attempt to follow the "Settings" button and fill in the data fields / select check-boxes there?

29104[/snapback]

Sorry I posted it in the wrong place!!

I'm using Outlook Express 6 and I did fill in the data fields...I wondered why my ISP's server needed an account from that server to authenticate my Spamcop account....it never used to before

I wondered why my ISP's server needed an account from that server to authenticate my Spamcop account....it never used to before

29106[/snapback]

It's an anti-spam and anti-worm security measure put in place by BT Internet.

I wondered why my ISP's server needed an account from that server to authenticate my Spamcop account....it never used to before

29106[/snapback]

...My guess would be that that isn't what it's doing. I think it (BTinternet POP server) is seeing someone (you, via the SpamCop server) trying to connect to retrieve e-mail and it wants to be sure that someone is really you. It does this by asking for your BTinternet e-mail account ID and password, just as it does when you try to access your BTinternet e-mail account directly using whatever e-mail client you use when you're not POPing from SpamCop. Apparently (from what you say about this not being required earlier), BTinternet used to not be that careful -- they were assuming that anyone trying to use POP to retrieve e-mail from BTinternet was the owner of the e-mail account; now, they're less trusting (good for them!).

Or if you're cynical like me you can only use their server if you've paid for and got a valid e mail address...another way to part your hard earned from you!!

29110[/snapback]

...Or if you're a paying customer (unlike me) your e-mail is protected from unauthorized access ... another (rare) way for service providers to protect their (paying) customers, who are entitled to such protection for their money. :) <g>

Part of what I think is going on is your use of a particular "Reply" button, and you're not doing any editing of the quoted material being placed into your response. Please take a look at the "How to use ... Forum" section about the confusion involved in the various methods of replying here.

I'm using Outlook Express 6 and I did fill in the data fields...I wondered why my ISP's server needed an account from that server to authenticate my Spamcop account....it never used to before

29106[/snapback]

I have to note here that you slid from "using Outlook" to "using Outlook Express" ... vastly different tools.

Hmmmm not convinced...think profit comes into the equation more than security!!

29114[/snapback]

...That's okay, it is not necessary for you to be convinced. :) Profit generally happens when a product's perceived value to its customers (greater than or equal to the price) exceeds the cost of creating and delivering it. As Heinlein put it, TANSTAAFL.

29106[/snapback]

It has not been mentioned here yet, but you are not actually sending messages through spamcop because they do not provide SMTP. You have always been using the SMTP server provided by your ISP. Things changed when they required authentication.

Archived