Jump to content

Spamcop forwarding email stopped working, but manual website entry does


GodzFire
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hoping I could get some assistance on this. I've had a SpamCop.net account for a number of years. I was giving the following forward email to submit my spam to: submit.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX@spam.spamcop.net. I've never had any issues with this in the past. I'd forward the spam messages and shortly thereafter get an automated SpamCop email to finish the submission.

However within the past year, it's just, stopped working. I won't get any messages and indeed if I go on the site and check the 'Past Reports' tab, there's no record of them being sent/submitted. I thought it was something with my account, but if I manually submit the spam on the website, it goes through and works. I checked all the Preferences sections to see if something there might have changed that I need to set, but there's nothing there I can see.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this, as I had it all set up to easily forward the spam messages I was getting in my mail program. With the amount of spam I get, it's very time consuming and tedious trying to do it on the website, so then I just end up not doing it. If it means staff needs to completely delete my account and I create a new one to see if it fixes it, I'm game, cause I really want this fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GodzFire said:

However within the past year

Sounds like your provider has "fixed" your ability to receive/send email with a spam filter?
Change your reply/send address to a throwaway like Gmail to see if it starts working?

Edited by petzl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My ISP (Spectrum/Charter) actually has done the opposite it seems in 2019, and nothing is getting filtered anymore; I've had to create my own filters in Thunderbird so it goes to the spam folder.

I was PM'ed by someone who told me I need to talk to a staff or mod to have a new spamcop ID assigned to see if that fixes it. Just wondering how I do that.

Edited by GodzFire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GodzFire said:

I was PM'ed by someone who told me I need to talk to a staff or mod to have a new spamcop ID assigned to see if that fixes it. Just wondering how I do that.

I did have see some delays this morning, but you said it happened this past year.  Last time I had this happen to me (where all inbound emails were lost) I had a "SMTP disabled" with a button to reenable on the reporting page.  If you do not have this button, I would suggest you contact the deputies at deputies[at]admin[dot]spamcop[dot]net as per https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/12.html.  I believe they have the ability to look at mail servers logs to help in the research.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This problem started for me a few days ago.  I use my SpamCop button in Outlook to forward to forward spam, but I get no response back.  Outlook does show that it was sent.  If I login to SpamCop and upload the information manually, everything is fine.  I have been using SpamCop forever.  What do I do?  Do I need my SpamCop ID fixed? 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, scottNY said:

This problem started for me a few days ago.  I use my SpamCop button in Outlook to forward to forward spam, but I get no response back.  Outlook does show that it was sent.  If I login to SpamCop and upload the information manually, everything is fine.  I have been using SpamCop forever.  What do I do?  Do I need my SpamCop ID fixed? 

Thanks.

Usually caused by your email being bounced (SpamCop then stops sending) or your provider bit-binning them.
Get a Gmail or use a different email account to see if you can get it to work again!

Edited by petzl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Petzl.  I am now getting back reports from SpamCop for my AOL account via Outlook, but after clicking the SpamCop link in the email provided by auto-submission, I almost always receive one of a variety of error messages.  If I submit manually by copying the message header and the email content on the SpamCop website, all my spam is processed correctly.  For years I used auto-submission via the SpamCop addin successfully.  Nothing has changed; same PC, same email addresses, etc.  What can I do? 

Also, I have been trying to connect my Gmail account, which I access via Outlook, to SpamCop. My SpamCop account shows my Gmail email address as registered, but I only receive errors when submitting via the SpamCop Outlook addin.  If I do a manual submission, SpamCop receives the spam report perfectly. 

I submit at least 50 spam emails a week.  If I have to login to my SpamCop account and do manual submissions, it will be less likely that all my spam gets submitted as it is much more time consuming.  I want to help fight spam, but I am losing faith.  Any ideas?

TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, scottNY said:

I submit at least 50 spam emails a week.  If I have to login to my SpamCop account and do manual submissions, it will be less likely that all my spam gets submitted as it is much more time consuming.  I want to help fight spam, but I am losing faith.  Any ideas?

Make sure ALL your email addresses are registered in your Mail hosts.
I only get 1 spam a month so I do it manually. I only use Gmail 

Edited by petzl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My AOL, Gmail and other email addresses are registered on SpamCop, unless somehow I did it wrong.  When I look at my MAILHOSTS tab, I see my three email addresses.  The boxes below have drop down boxes for each email address.  Am I supposed to do anything with them?

Thanks.

 
Hosts/Domains:  
Relaying IPsv4:  
Relaying IPsv6:  
   
   
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, scottNY said:

My AOL, Gmail and other email addresses are registered on SpamCop, unless somehow I did it wrong.  When I look at my MAILHOSTS tab, I see my three email addresses.  The boxes below have drop down boxes for each email address.  Am I supposed to do anything with them?

Thanks.

 
Hosts/Domains:  
Relaying IPsv4:  
Relaying IPsv6:  
   
   

No not sure what could be wrong?
CHECK
Under TAB "preferences" "Report Handling Options"
Quick Data Reports
Enable quick data reports.
???
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2022 at 5:36 AM, scottNY said:

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification, RB. I am still hopeful someone will be able to help me get the SpamCop add-in to work like it used to for both my email accounts.

AFAIK the free service won't allow "Quick data reports"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...