Is there a problem with Comcast?

I just switched my ISP from Mindspring to Comcast. I use Apple Mail to access my spamcop email account. I had to change my outgoing mail server from mail.mindspring.com to smtp.comcast.net for sending mail. I am now unable to connect to mail.spamcop.net to retrieve incoming mail. I can send mail OK and I have two other pop accounts using my web host email accounts (pop.fatcow.com) -- both of these accounts send and receive just fine.

Now, when I try to retrieve email from mail.spamcop.net I get the following error message:

"The server "mail.spamcop.net" refused to allow a connection on port 110."

I can't think of any reason why this should be affected by my move to Comcast but it's the only thing that's changed on my system. I was retrieving email from mail.spamcop.net using the same Mail account configuration just minutes earlier while I was connected via Mindspring DSL. All other internet services are working fine and I can connect to my spamcop email account using Webmail.

Any ideas why Mail can't retrieve any more?

TIA

(I can see that I posted this to the wrong forum but this forum structure is a little confusing.)

It's fixed. I just changed incoming server to pop.spamcop.net. I know, I know, I should have tried that first. It just didn't occur to me that that would have been an issue since mail.spamcop.net works while connecting through Mindspring.

Sorry 'bout that.

It's fixed. I just changed incoming server to pop.spamcop.net. I know, I know, I should have tried that first. It just didn't occur to me that that would have been an issue since mail.spamcop.net works while connecting through Mindspring.

Sorry 'bout that.

30919[/snapback]

1. So that you are aware, one of our Moderators here noticed a problem accessing pop.spamcop.net earlier today and remarked in this post, so it may have been bad timing: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4624 His problem was with SSL, however.

2. This post belongs in the EMail forum where I am moving it.

Do you get different responses to "ping mail.spamcop.net" vs. "ping pop.spamcop.net"? Both of those commands should attempt to access IP Address 216.154.195.50. If you do get different responses, what are the IP Addresses of the DNS Name Servers your computer is using? Thanks!

(I can see that I posted this to the wrong forum but this forum structure is a little confusing.)

30917[/snapback]

Please explain this. I'm at a loss as to how/why you say it's difficult to see the difference between;

SpamCop Reporting Help

A forum to help users with the SpamCop Reporting System. Questions about SpamCop Email Accounts should be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

and

SpamCop Email System & AccountsA forum for questions and discussion about the SpamCop Email System and spamcop.net email accounts. Questions about spam reporting should generally be directed to the appropriate forum, not this one.

Specifically, just what else has to change to "clear" things up ..????

Archived