Hartnett.org ([72.45.0.247])

Lking

Ok its hot outside and I'm irritable. :angry:

About every other day I receive from Mailer-daemon[at]aol.com a 550 NOT FOUND message. The bounced mail is always to the same aol address and "from" the same address in my domain with the spam give-away SUBJECT: RE:

Of course mail to tosemail1[at]aol.com and postmaster[at]aol.com are not answered.

Of course the full message nor header are sent so there is little information to work with. However the following information did leak through:

"The original message was received at Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:12:46 -0400 (EDT) from [72.45.0.247]"

Received: from Hartnett.org ([72.45.0.247]) by rly-yi04.mx.aol.com (vx) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINYI410-7cc42efc5ab7a; Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:12:43 -0400

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:14:30 -0500

To: "Spottedwoz" <spottedwoz<at>aol.com>

Subject: Re:

what I have found is:

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=72.45.0.247

Vol change vs average 1196%

from http://www.ip-to-location.com

72.45.0.247 US UNITED STATES MASSACHUSETTS QUINCY ATLANTIC BROADBAND

I don't have an email to report to SC so what options do I have being new at being vindictive?

Help with your AOL account, ...

31262[/snapback]

Wazoo did I mislead you? I don't have an aol account! But I did try to push enough information through the web-form to explain the problem. I don't send them money so not to sure if they care - yes irritable and cynical.

Help with your AOL account, ...

31262[/snapback]

Wazoo did I mislead you? I don't have an aol account!

<snip>

31264[/snapback]

...Probably not -- I think you just did not read far enough:
Help with your AOL account, connection or other technical issues:  ... [emphasis by Steve T]

<snip other helpful and relevant information>

31262[/snapback]

Those are misdirected bounces, which should be avoided by using 500-series errors during the SMTP transaction. Such misdirected bounces are now considered abusive and reportable by SpamCop per the "Messages which may be reported" section of On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop? and the Misdirected bounces section of Why are auto-responders (and delayed bounces) bad?.

I believe that the official position is that it is up to the bouncing ISP to report its spam (you are not supposed to report bounced spam using SpamCop, only the bounces themselves), but if you want to run the spam's headers through the Parser to aid in your Manual Report, you can just put in a fake body like "AOL's mailserver ate the body".

Of course mail to tosemail1[at]aol.com and postmaster[at]aol.com are not answered.

31261[/snapback]

Just because they are not answered is no reason to think that they are not read and acted upon. It is my understanding that AOL's TOS enforcement teams work quietly, but they do work.

Steve maybe I should add short-sighted to the "irritable, cynical" list of attributes.

Jeff I did go back and read again the "What I should/should not report". I though I remembered it correctly or it has changed or old age...

I do wish aol had forwarded enough to report but alas, the info in the original post is all there is. By definition the bounce from aol is spam but reporting them through SC doesn't seem to be productive. I do hope "AOL's TOS enforcement teams work quietly, but they do work."

May be the air conditioning is working. Thanks all.

Wazoo did I mislead you?  I don't have an aol account! But I did try to push enough information through the web-form to explain the problem.  I don't send them money so not to sure if they care - yes irritable and cynical.

31264[/snapback]

Nope, not mislead ... I've no account either, but believe me, have spent hours on the phone with them (too many of them on hold, but ......)

Archived