Is the filtering service broken?

mikeobrien

In my case I still do not receive the "[SpamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing" messages. Also tried my forwarding address once without success.

However, I have no control over the MX for my address. So, I can't tell whether spamcop.net is even trying.

I just tested it and same here. I forwarded and old spam email which was was accepted by the SpamCop SMTP server. Looks like it did come through with from the new IP (https://forum.spamcop.net/topic/48877-spmcop-is-forging-its-own-mail/). The last time I had submitted spam was Sunday afternoon and I got a response.

Edit: It did come through. Edited by gnarlymarley

On 2/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, Richard W said:

Our apologies. This should all be fixed now, save some propagation. 

Thanks for the info, Richard.
Appreciate the work you do behind the scenes and being the bridge between us users and the system itself. ;)

it's working here for me since yesterday (at least that's when I tried it out 😁)

On 2/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, Richard W said:

On top of this, the IP ended up on the Spamhaus XBL, resulting in many many more systems rejecting mail from that nat.  The IP has been removed from XBL so any ongoing issues with that are likely cache related.

Delisting is not enough as obviously some machine behind that IP is compromised/has malware. Until that is fixed, it's just going to keep getting relisted.

Still dead, sent a test email to all 4 accounts an hour ago, nothing in the forwarding accounts as of yet. I go back to the beginning with the first iterations of the reporting service, through the email service, and with its folding & going to the forwarder. I have used @spamcop.net as a primary email for 20+ years, bought accounts for my wife & kids, and have avoid having to change public addresses through several internet and email providers; now it looks like that run is ending - and I'm very sad. A check in my password manager shows 400+ accounts that I need to deal with!. This is the longest outage I remember experiencing, with no sign of resolution? I question why Cisco can't figure it out?

15 hours ago, mikeobrien said:

Look, if you guys don’t get this fixed, I’m going to be forced to abandon my main public email address, which I’ve had for roughly twenty years, and notify many hundreds of entities of the change. NOT HAPPY!

Thank God!  Just now, the floodgates have opened, at least for me, and mail is pouring in!  Thanks, guys, for finally getting this fixed.  What a nightmare to have come from a one-digit typo.

VERY happy to report that the floodgates have opened for me as well! Test message created 2/27 @ 3p CST is the earliest I've seen.

Thanks to all for the work to fix. It's amazing to realize just how dependent we are on @spamcop.net!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
As my mail server is checking the sender host name against the IP address, your mails are rejected since your infrastructure change.

reject: RCPT from unknown[184.94.240.100]: 450 4.7.25 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [184.94.240.100] proto=ESMTP helo=<vmx.spamcop.net>

The reason is a wrong DNS setup.  Forward lookup of vmx.spamcop.net. must return  184.94.240.100.  instead of 184.94.240.112
Reverse lookup is right.

dig vmx.spamcop.net
;; ANSWER SECTION:
vmx.spamcop.net.	300	IN	A	184.94.240.112

dig -x 184.94.240.100
;; ANSWER SECTION:
100.240.94.184.in-addr.arpa. 60	IN	PTR	vmx.spamcop.net.
Edited by DanieleTrento

10 hours ago, DanieleTrento said:

As my mail server is checking the sender host name against the IP address, your mails are rejected since your infrastructure change. (...) The reason is a wrong DNS setup.

I was also affected by this. Had to redirect my forwarding to a server where I could whitelist the IP 184.94.240.100 to be able to receive mail from spamcop.net.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a bounce error too a few weeks back. After hassling my ISP a bit to see if they'd done something to mess with my ability to report emails to Spamcop,  their response was a bit incoherent.  Amongst other things, they asked for a copy of the email that was bounced,  in spite of a screenshot showing that messages TO my email account weren't getting through. D'oh!

Be that as it may, that particular glitch seems to have been been fixed.  

Today's mystery is why one quick reporting data email was perceived as a threat by my ISP. I have a hunch that my ISP doesn't understand or appreciate Spamcop! I'm mentioning it in passing but don't plan on making a molehill out of a mountain.  :)