onetnews

rookaloo

:angry: onetnews--yes, all lower-case letters--touts penny stocks. I've gotten 97 spams from them in the past 2 days. Who are they? How do I get rid of them?

This is probably the wrong thing to have done but I made a list of all the phony addresses they use and forwarded all their spams to each one. And I haven't gotten a spam for 3 hours now. Whoop!

I was the recipient of about 1300 yesterday and about 1500 of those stock spams today. :(

They're from different spammers - not necessarily from onetnews or whatever that is.

I think they're trying to manipulate the market or some may be phishing scams.

They came into the inbox in "blocks" from the same spammer at the same time.

So ... I had different spammers sending me multiple copies of the same or similar spams. :(

I never heard of onetnews. I don't invest from reading emails. I never signed up for anything like that. I'm leaning toward thinking that these people are trying to manipulate the market, but with all those mistakes, it's a pretty dumb way to do it.

:P

:angry: onetnews--yes, all lower-case letters--touts penny stocks.  I've gotten 97 spams from them in the past 2 days.  Who are they?  How do I get rid of them?

33218[/snapback]

...Be careful! Spammers sometimes lie about who they are, so I don't think you can necessarily know for sure that you are being spammed by "onetnews," whoever they are. You aren't likely to be able to get rid of them unless you have some very, very good internet sleuths and lots of money available to you. However, if enough people complain to the SEC about these, the federal government may do something to stop them. Unfortunately, for every one the feds are able (or willing) to find and close, a hundred others spring to life. When spammers stop making money (which ultimately comes from the naifs who believe them), there will be no more spam.
This is probably the wrong thing to have done but I made a list of all the phony addresses they use and forwarded all their spams to each one.

<snip>

33218[/snapback]

...Why would you do that? All you've done is to send spam, yourself, probably to innocent bystanders.
<snip>

<snip>

33227[/snapback]

...That would be my guess, as well -- a pump and dump scheme (see Wikipedia or the SEC web site for more information).

I was the recipient of about 1300 yesterday and about 1500 of those stock spams today.  :(
:oAnd I thought I had something to complain about! Whoa!

They're from different spammers - not necessarily from onetnews or whatever that is.
They're from different phony addresses--not quite the same thing. I know because all the spam I returned to these addresses came back with the info that the addresses do not exist. :(

Agreed.
They came into the inbox in "blocks" from the same spammer at the same time.
Mine came from different spammers. (Yeah, right.) :angry:
So ... I had different spammers sending me multiple copies of the same or similar spams.  :(
Ditto.
I never heard of onetnews. I don't invest from reading emails. I never signed up for anything like that. I'm leaning toward thinking that these people are trying to manipulate the market, but with all those mistakes, it's a pretty dumb way to do it.
I looked through the spam to find the one thing that was alike in all of them so I could have them delivered to Trash. Near the bottom all said onetnews was a delivery service, not a broker.

Edited to fix quoting

I still say "multiple" spammers. Here's why.

You see a stock of undetermined actual value. Some will think - ooooh ---

$quick money$.

Scheme: Lots of people buy and buy. Value of stock goes up and up. If one buys

low, one sells high ... $quick money$.

How to get lots of people to buy and buy?

Well ... one way is what happened to us - email.

This takes more than one person to send enough email to make that possible.

Since most of us ignore emails "dat red lik dis", it'll take 2 or 3 people with

large mailing lists to make enough of a push to make the stock sell.

This particular group made the obvious mistake to me of not checking their mailing lists for duplicates, triplicates or even blocks of 50 or 60 of the same

email addies. That's probably the reason I was getting so many. :P:o

Some of the spams had "literate" fake news type subject fields. Some had "helllooo mhoghhhhhrrryyy" whatever. Some of the spams had different bodies entirely, but the same "investment idea".

lol So ... there's a (stupid) group there. In too much of a hurry to tend to the details.

This takes more than one person to send enough email to make that possible.

33331[/snapback]

This is where your logic breaks down. With all of the zombie PC's one the internet with high speed connections, one person can easily swamp plenty of mailboxes and not even slow down his own connection doing it. He just sends the command to the zombies, and away they go.

This particular group made the obvious mistake to me of not checking their mailing lists for duplicates, triplicates or even blocks of 50 or 60 of the same

email addies. That's probably the reason I was getting so many.  :P  :o

33331[/snapback]

I believe it has been shown that some spammers get paid by the numbers of messages sent, not received or acted upon. They don't care if they flood your mailbox because they just made a penny (or whatever) for every one of them.

They're from different phony addresses--not quite the same thing.  I know because all the spam I returned to these addresses came back with the info that the addresses do not exist. :(

33321[/snapback]

Why are you returning spam to "From" or "SMTP Envelope Sender / Return Path" addresses? Your return messages are misdirected bounces, which should be avoided by using 500-series errors during the SMTP transaction. Such misdirected bounces are now considered abusive and reportable by SpamCop per the "Messages which may be reported" section of On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop? and the Misdirected bounces section of Why are auto-responders (and delayed bounces) bad?.

Why are you returning spam to "From" or "SMTP Envelope Sender / Return Path" addresses?  Your return messages are misdirected bounces, which should be avoided by using 500-series errors during the SMTP transaction.  Such misdirected bounces are now considered abusive and reportable by SpamCop per the "Messages which may be reported" section of On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop? and the Misdirected bounces section of Why are auto-responders (and delayed bounces) bad?.

33341[/snapback]

I'll be good. I won't do it anymore. I read your links and they are completely over my head so I'll just go back to getting mad at instead of trying to get even with spammers. :)

...Please consider asking questions about the stuff that's "over your head," especially the critically important "On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?" article. A discussion may lead to our improving the content these important topics. If you don't feel comfortable posting questions publicly, you can use the "PM" button on this reply, below, to contact me personally or the PM button under any other user's (except Jeff G who does not wish to be PM-ed) post to contact her/him personally.

Archived