Why report?

Lking

Some people that fight spam suggests that scammers switch phone numbers fairly quickly. Which might explain why the numbers kept changing multiple times an hour.

With the various company names they used seems like they could have been attempts to have the forum to flood search engines with those numbers. Edited by gnarlymarley

On 4/20/2023 at 4:33 AM, Lking said:

We, SpamCop and those that report the spam they receive, appear to have pissed off someone.

today's postings were not an effort to get someone to use the services listed.

The traitors are probably spying on us...

My two bobs worth on why report is that we're all busy and get too many unwanted messages and calls and it clogs up voice and data networks takes up server space and slows down internet speeds and is a waste of time. We, the users pay good money for phones laptops etc and phone and internet accounts so we should have a say in who communicates with us. It hurts businesses too when they are hit with spam bombs and impersonated by scammers. They need to answer unknown callers and same with workers who are on call. I just read today that whatsapp deletes 2.5million dodgy accounts a month costing them admin fees.

Edited by ninth
To add whatsapp comment.

and as I type, one of these guys thinks he's having a field day...
I just wish that with every reported forum spam, the sender would get a n-minute timeout (like 15minutes) to slow them down... after so many reports the user would be flagged and could only resume posting after an admin cleared him, her, or it, they, whatever pronoun... hey, I'm inclusive ;)

On 4/22/2023 at 5:40 PM, gnarlymarley said:

Speaking of reporting forum spam would be nice

I don't know if there is one currently. I, other admin here, used to post all spam here to a forum spam list. That listing was a small group effort and had a horrid reporting interface that defied automation. It died.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a break or a day off. Yesterday ended with a 14hr period with out spam. This morning had only a handful, mostly one/two per account. There were 3(?) bots but they posted less than 10 each.

8 hours ago, Lking said:

There is a break or a day off. Yesterday ended with a 14hr period with out spam. This morning had only a handful, mostly one/two per account. There were 3(?) bots but they posted less than 10 each.

Noticed that too... ;) I think it was 2 that I reported before I had to go to my "dayjob" 😁 one of them, I believe, was just registering but I had to head out...
didn't see any airline junk this morning ✈️

Happy Mothers Day weekend everybody!