Control of the Internet ????

Wazoo

Yes, the UN does such a great job ;)

And the Cogent Vs Level 3 thing Wednesday to Friday eh? Could explain degraded performance throughout the rest of the internet (not just "thousands" affected). People seem to consistently underestimate internet effects (inadequate data for assessment, failure of "courage" in making the call).

At least Newscientist is now saying spam accounts for 70% of emails (as at June 30) which is getting a little closer to the 95% or more it "feels" like and much more than the 5-10% "official" figure as recently as a year or so ago.

[Added - darn, dunno where I got that from but it wasn't NS - NS simply said phishes have increased 90% from 3 million (per what?) Jan 1 to 5.7 million Jun 30)]

Probably too late to go back to carrier pigeons, isn't it?

... see RFC1149 and RFC2549. :)

33855[/snapback]

:lol: Many thanks! I note the latter allows for everything from pterodactyls on down. Better bandwidth with those babies. Possibility of worm-hole routing is attractive in reduction of latency (certainly superior to the black-hole routing I am sometimes seeing lately).

• 3 weeks later...
Probably too late to go back to carrier pigeons, isn't it?

33849[/snapback]

And yet the use of your common everyday pigeon (perhaps to include those older carrier pigeons with memory problems?) still continues on some parts of the world, services rendered praised daily by those unknowing users ... PigeonRank™

It seems there's something else big going on - lots of routers around the world seem not to be responding, pushing one set of estimates of global packet loss up to over 20% and of traffic index down to below 70.  Please see Internet Traffic Report for details.  Thanks!

34781[/snapback]

Continent .. Current Index .. Avg. Response Time (ms) .. Avg. Packet Loss (%)

Asia ............ 30 ...................... 666 .................................. 51 %

The last time I remeber seeing this, it was due to a flaw/but/exploited bit of code in the "big" bandwidth servers involved at the "tier 1" levels .... updates, patches, etc. were out pretty danged quick, but .... on the oher hand, maybe it's that the Chinese whas been extended a bit further out and is now doing more than just protecting its citizens from that Internet thing (no doubt still allowing the spam spew to go out <g>)

It appears that the big situation was resolved in North America for Qwest routers around 05:00 EDT -0400 (09:00 UTC -0000). ITR's North American packet loss is back down to around 12% and its North American traffic index is back up to 81 (fairly normal figures), although 50% packet loss at the Qwest routers is still of concern, as is total unresponsiveness of other routers. However, the global situation is still far from normal.

ITR's North American packet loss is back down to around 12% and its North American traffic index is back up to 81

34859[/snapback]

Perhaps I wrote too soon. Those numbers are back at the errant 19% and 75. :(

Archived