Report process changes?

jwr4

It has been several months since I last used spam Cop. Then, when I clicked the email link to report, I went to a page explaining the routing information, then the list of possible spammers. Below this was an empty space in which I could add comments or something. Connected to this was a button to click to finish reporting. Then, below that was other information.

When I used spam Cop today, after I clicked the email link to report the spam, I went to the URL tracking page, but there was no clear list of possible spammers, and no empty box near the bottom, with a button to complete the report. Has spam Cop changed? When the email report link is now clicked, is the spam automatically reported instead of having to click a button on the tracking page?

When the email report link is now clicked, is the spam automatically reported instead of having to click a button on the tracking page?

34965[/snapback]

No.

The name of the Service you were trying to use is spelled SpamCop. Was there any text in red or orange on that page? Can you share the Tracking URL you were emailed (which you called an "email link")? Thanks!

I'm not clear at all on your desscription ... the bad part is that there should have been some additional text that, had it been included, may have made things much more clearer ... Just based on "stuff was there" and "stuff isn't there now" ... it's possible he "reporting account" has been converted to an "ISP account" .... but again, the screen itself should offer a clue or two if this was the case.

Specifically, the ISP account I set up to try out a few days back is clearly Titled ISP Control Center .... but you didn't mention this ....?????

This may be a bit more clear. This afternoon I forwarded about a dozen spammed emails to SpamCop and received the SpamCop email notifications for each. In each SpamCop email are several links, one of which is "Use links to finish reporting (members use cookie-login please!)."

Following this is a URL to another page, "Here is your tracking URL - It may be saved for future use."

In the past, on this page, when I scrolled down I came to a "Report To" section with a list of suspected spammers that each had a checked box at the beginning. Below this was an empty box "Additional notes (optional - max 2000 characters.)"

In the first 3 SpamCop email notifications I got back this afternoon, when I clicked the "Use links to finish reporting....." I was taken to the "Here is your tracking URL" page, but when I scrolled down there was no "Report to" section with a list of possible spammers, and there was nothing else at the bottom, including the "Additionl Notes....)" box.

The confusing thing is, I later tried some of the other emails, clicking the "Use links to finish reporting....", and everything worked fine. Got the usual "Report spam to" section, with the spammers listed following a checked box. Under this was the "Additional notes..." box, etc.

Then I tried some of the others, and got the same results as in the beginning, no "Report spam to:" section with spammers listed, and the "Additional notes..." box, etc.

So, some of the SpamCop email links to report seem to be ok while others are not.

The spam I was trying to report was not outdated. When it is, SpamCop states the email is to old to report.

Here is one of the tracking URLs from one of the SpamCop email notifications that does not work.

http://www.spamcop.net/SC?id=z820388188z-b...9140e56712480bz

I hope I got that right.

This may be a bit more clear. This afternoon I forwarded about a dozen spammed emails to SpamCop and received the SpamCop email notifications for each. In each SpamCop email are several links, one of which is "Use links to finish reporting (members use cookie-login please!)."

Following this is a URL to another page, "Here is your tracking URL - It may be saved for future use."

35014[/snapback]

You do not need to follow that second link as it is simply a generic copy of the page you should already be on. That tracking URL (beginning with www) allows anyone access to your spam. Please post that URL so we can see what you are missing on the page. We don't need to know what is NOT there as much as what IS there. The URL you did post seems broken (I get a 404 error) and has a dash in the middle which I have never seen. Even without the dash, I am getting the error.

Seem I left out part of the tracking URL. Here it is again. http://www.spamcop.net/SC?id=z820388188z-b...9140e56712480bz

There is one difference in the link in the SpamCop email notification and on the "Here is your tracking URL" page. The above URL is as it appears in the email. When I click this and go to the "Here is your tracking URL" page, the hyphen between the "z" and the "b" is not part of the URL.

Well, I didn't leave anything out of the tracking URL afterall. I typed in the correct URL each time, but 17 characters are cut from the URL when I post it.

35025[/snapback]

Don't worry about what is displayed. The application here shortens the visible part but leaves the link alone. Do your tracking URL's have that dash (-) in the middle?

It still does not work without the - (and if it is not in your tracking URL, why are you pasting it with?)

Try this (if you are not already): Click on the Tracking URL then select the entire Address line (they will be the same), Ctrl-C to copy and Ctrl-V to paste it here. Or if you feel like it, forward the entire email response to my email address in my sig.

What the forum shows you is not the full URL, it cuts it down to fit in the space, but the actual URL that you entered is there if you click on it. But like Steven said, when we click on it we get a 404 error.

edit (sorry we posted a the same time, what he said) :D

The URL previously listed is from the SpamCop email notification after "Use links to finish reporting....". Here the dash (-) is between the "z" and the "b".

When I click this link and go to the "Here is your tracking URL" page, the tracking URL is exactly the same, but the dash (-) is not there.

The URL previously listed is from the SpamCop email notification after "Use links to finish reporting....". Here the dash (-) is between the "z" and the "b".

When I click this link and go to the "Here is your tracking URL" page, the tracking URL is exactly the same, but the dash (-) is not there.

35028[/snapback]

Then your email application is wrapping/inserting it. And the link still does not work from this side of the screen. Perhaps it is doing the same to your submissions. Sorry.

It strikes yet again today. Please take the time to look at the [How to] post a question item(s) .... Some, all, at least a clue might have been offered from the beginning, most all of the later confusion would have been cleared up with just a bit of that data offered in the beginning. Have you looked at support available a bit more locally first? There used to be some pretty knowledgeable folks there, though after the spamcop newsgroup abuse situation via the webTV link and some changes that this involved, I've no knowledge on what's available in those support groups these days.

I'm basing all of this on your posting IP, tracking back to webTV ...possibly explaining why the "simple" cut/paste operations seem difficult ... probably why the data is hosed ...??? Not sure, in that the only obvious thing wrong is that extra hyphen, but .... as stated by others, there's more to the story .. the actual data is bad in the offered Tracking URLs.

Possible future issue, the next version/release of this application has complaints from webTV users .... apparently can read just fine, but there seems to be no way to post ... issue appears to be based on Matt's use of the AJAX technology which the webTV units are simply not capable of accomplishing ...

Archived