Newstips

martywinston

The weekly Newstips Bulletin has been getting sent by e-mail for decades; it currently goes out from a custom application, generated from an MS Access database, with one addressee per message. The database is manually managed. To be in it, the addressee must be a journalist and must ask (or a senior colleague must have asked) to be included. Any recipient can, at any time, drop a note to any of our published addresses to be removed from our active circulation.

The content we send involves a collection of paragraph-length information (all written and originated here) about news (especially product news) developments that the journalist may wish to himself or herself follow up and report. We don't sell anything.

All of a sudden, dozens of copies of today's issue were blocked by you.

We have been doing another recent large-scale (meaning hundreds) e-mailing, again, one addressee per message. Each addressee is the listed inside PR contact person for a listed CES 2006 (Consumer Electronics Show) exhibitor. We are hosting an event there, and the message refers them to a Web site where they can learn how to submit their products for inclusion in the event. There is no fee, and the event is officially recognized by CES.

Earlier in the month, we received scores of bounced mail that was spam, sent from spoofed addresses within this domain. The entire domain is 2 machines, both at this address, and there is no question about that spam coming from elsewhere.

Our ISP mail server (64.49.241.20) is cited in the SpamCop-blocked Postfix messages.

We desire that SpamCop takes measures to no longer interfere with our sending of our entirely appropriate, entirely non-spam e-mail messages.

I am unlikely to be on this board again and request that confirmation of such action reach me by phone at 440-338-8400.

Martin Winston

Newstips

<snip>

I am unlikely to be on this board again and request that confirmation of such action reach me by phone at 440-338-8400.

35005[/snapback]

...*sigh* If you don't care enough to come back here, I certainly don't care enough to dig into my pocket to use my hard-earned money to make a long-distance phone call to you. I guess you'll just have to live with having your ISP mail server's IP address listed on the SpamCop BL.

...If you do happen to make it back here, please take a look at the entry labeled "Pinned: Why Am I Blocked? FAQ," especially one of the following:

• if you are the ISP mail server admin, the items under "For people who are operating servers"
  • if you are not the ISP mail server admin, the items under "For people whose email was returned"

and, if you still have questions, come back with specific ones and we'll try to help.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't spam anyoone either ...

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=64.49.241.20

64.49.241.20 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 1 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

Looking for potential administrative email addresses for 64.49.241.20:

cannot find an mx for lb1.mail.stabletransit.com

cannot find an mx for mail.stabletransit.com

cannot find an mx for stabletransit.com

Listing History

In the past 43.5 days, it has been listed 3 times for a total of 2.9 days

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ng=64.49.241.20

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 3.5 .. -98%

Last 30 days .. 4.3 .. -91%

Average ........ 5.3

Not your typically spammer-controlled typr numbers there .. so couple with spamtrap hits, no remarks about user complaints, lack of the overwhelming spammer spew signs, that pretty much gets down to a poisoned e-mail list ... of coursem it's a given that anyone offered the chance to sign up for something at a TradeShow will of course use his/her absolutely correct and positively no chance of making a mistake while scribbling something in a hurry e-mail address ... It is too bad that so many folks have taken the time to write-up and document big clues for folks that are supposed to be handling these kinds of things in a responsible fashion ...

Oh yeah, the standard obvious response to the intial accusation .. SpamCop.net does not have the ability to "block your e-mail" .. that particular exercise was accomplished by the recipient's ISP, possibly/probably using the SpamCopDNSBL as part of a toolset to manage incoming e-mail ... for the "Blocking" problem, you'll have to take it up with all those ISPs involved.

no remarks about user complaints

35009[/snapback]

This user report was a mole, so probably does not show in the listing

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 12:58:04 PM -0400:

Auto Reply from webmaster[at]hotphotodeals.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems someone on that server has an auto-responder.

At this point, "64.49.241.20 not listed in bl.spamcop.net". The parent servers say that the domain hotphotodeals.com does not exist. Any SpamCop Reports of 64.49.241.20 would go to abuse[at]rackspace.com.

interestingly rakspace is a notorious spammer...Rackspace now owns and operates more than 3000 servers, and expects to ... The larger Rackspace clients use up to 30 or 40 servers for a single Web site.... so, no surprize there...And another good google quote:

SpamCop's Julian Haight replies to Politech, and other defenses..

Rackspace has been negligent in this case. They had an open relay which they ...

as an innocent party, are the victim of Rackspace's abuse of the net...

Archived