[Resolved] Question about what to report

mrmaxx

I get a lot of stuff to my email address because I have several domains and a LOT of viruses and spammers forge my domain. I have, on occasion, received emails from list-subscription robots asking me to confirm my request (as they should.) But, I never sent the original email asking to sign up.

Should I report that as spam or just hit the delete button? After all, I didn't ask for it, but it's not bulk. I just don't know if that falls within the boundaries of things that are acceptable to report.

Should I report that as spam or just hit the delete button? After all, I didn't ask for it, but it's not bulk. I just don't know if that falls within the boundaries of things that are acceptable to report.

36453[/snapback]

Have you checked out the FAQ? Specifically: On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?

Have you checked out the FAQ?  Specifically: On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?

36457[/snapback]

Just looked again at it, but it doesn't seem to *exactly* fit, although I'd say the closest would be a "misdirected challenge-response". Just trying to make sure I don't inadvertantly report something I shouldn't.

you should not be reporting confirmation emails from closed-loop lists and websites. I understand how irritating this is however. We want mailers to use closed-loop and reporting those confirmations just gets them listed and then it is hard to explain why this is an improvement over their not doing confirmed opt-in :-(

Just looked again at it, but it doesn't seem to *exactly* fit, 

<snip>

36464[/snapback]

...FWIW, my take would be that the relevant pieces are:
We define spam as Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE). To be considered spam, a message must be:

1. Unsolicited (I didn't request it explicitly or implicitly); and,

2. Bulk (the same message was sent to many people at once).

Some examples of messages which should not be reported as spam:

1. Email flaming you from someone you are in an argument with.

2. Email from people who you want to "get into trouble".

3. Email that is obviously sent innocently to an incorrect address. This might include sales receipts, booking confirmations, etc.

4. "Office email" with stupid jokes/anecdotes/attachments.

5. Forwarded/CCed email from "friends and family" regarding signing petitions.

Your question seems to involve e-mails that are not bulk (first numbered list, point 2) and also the second numbered list, point 3.

Archived