Webmail down ..???

OK, I'm confused. Not understanding the alleged "several hours" description and nothing being posted "here" about the issue ...

Path: news.spamcop.net!not-for-mail

Newsgroups: spamcop.mail

Subject: Re: Webmail down! Ping Ping Ping

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:33:38 -0500

Message-ID: <e2phj4$9b6$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

References: <e2pfoq$874$2[at]news.spamcop.net>

"eddie" wrote in message

news:e2pfoq$874$2[at]news.spamcop.net...

> The webmail interface is broken. Been down for several hours.

> Someone please report this issue.

> Thanks

Odd, no one complaining elsewhere, but ....

mail.spamcop.net answers ... but can't go anywhere

webmail.spamcop.net dead to the world

Left a voicemail for JT

OK, I'm confused.  Not understanding the alleged "several hours" description and nothing being posted "here" about the issue ...

42344[/snapback]

Was working for me just fine at about 1700 PDT. Then on my next attempt to access at about 1830 PDT I got the "Connection refused" error from my browser. Still the case at 2200 PDT, five hours down and counting.

Can't even telnet to port 80 on webmail.spamcop.net, connection refused.

He's dead, Jim.

Would it be possible to get an update put on the "Email News" page to let us know what's going on with this, please? I realise it's the middle of the night in the US, but for those of us in Europe relying on WebMail to get work done it would be nice to know what's going on...

Thanks,

Chris

Does anyone know how to contact whoever is responsible for Spamcop? I've sent a couple of e-mails to "support[at]spamcop.net" and had no reply; there's nothing on the status page. PLEASE - just a "we're aware of the problem and we're looking into it" would be appreciated. This is becoming rather serious :(

Please someone - help!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

I've been trying to read my mail since I arrived at work, all I get is The page cannot be displayed ;-(

42352[/snapback]

It is still down...I had not tried since ~9PM EST when it worked fine. I just reported HeldMail through the reporting interface so IMAP is probably working. I jist POPped my mailbox so POP is working too.

Does anyone know how to contact whoever is responsible for Spamcop? I've sent a couple of e-mails to "support[at]spamcop.net" and had no reply; there's nothing on the status page. PLEASE - just a "we're aware of the problem and we're looking into it" would be appreciated.

42353[/snapback]

I have just emailed them too and asked them to at least post an estimated downtime on here.

Seems to be OK again for me now. Problem over?

42359[/snapback]

I don't think so. I am getting a "Cannot find server error". They are having way too many problems with their web mail and I will definitely NOT be signing up for another year.

I will definitely add my frustration with the lack of information coming out of SpamCop administration. As of this writing there is still NO news posted on the email site regarding any connection problem. The following are the most recent news entries

SpamCop Email System News

Apr 23, 2006

[14:24 EDT] Thank you for your patience over the last few days. Attachments in webmail are working again.

Apr 18, 2006

[14:19 EDT] Earlier this morning, the data center we are hosted in had a major power failure which affected their normal backups systems. This means that most of our servers were powered down. Not everything came back up automatically, which means that mail has been delayed and logins have been difficult. We're monitoring it now, but it appears that everything is back up. Logins should be normal and delayed mail is flowing in. We apologize for the problem and will be investigating this with our data center to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The following seems to support a serious past system problem: Last login: Never which to me would indicate that some files have been damaged, deleted, or replaced.

Even as I continue to write, WebMail is behaving very strangely.

I logged into WebMail will no problem.

I clicked on HeldMail in the top menu bar opened up a non standard view of my held mail folder. (all messages on a white field (no grids), no mouse over colored bar.) Note: this might be just a problem with my browser as all the following tests I did resulted in a correct display:

1) Click on new window to open a new instance of the browser with the same displayed page.

2) when I tried to highlight the strange display (click, drag, unclick) then copy and pasted it into Word, the copy in Word was the standard view including grids and mouse over bar.

3) doing a screen refresh of the bad page resulted is the correct page view.

The main point of this is the lack of information coming from SpamCop Administration. :angry:

OK, caught JT on-line ... his words were;

[16:17] Wazoo: Anything that can be posted as to status?  There are some folks complaining at the "no status, no news, etc."

[16:17] JT: We had a problem overnight, but it's long been fixed. Sorry about that.

[16:17] JT: That should be the end of the repercussions from last week. Everything back to normal.

[16:18] Wazoo: ok, thanks .. off to make that known then ...

[16:18] JT: thanks

[16:30] Wazoo: Posting something to the E-mail News page would be appreciated .... posted in the Forum, and tossing a note into the spamcop.mail newsgroup ...

Wazoo, thanks for the update.

As to JT's statement: "Everything back to normal." I would have to disagree.

Are things working as normal - seems to be so.

Has something been lost - seems to be so, but just how much is very unclear.

If it is only last log-in information, then it is no big deal; but if it involves something more, then that could be a problem. From the outside looking in, it is impossible to tell what happened, how it was fixed, and what the results were; and it would also appear that the sharing of this information is not considered important by SpamCop Administration, so the only choice is to assume that everything is OK, that nothing IMPORTANT has been lost and hope that the only missing data is that from the last log-in file.

Archived