forwarding account query

I'm confused by the issue of forwarding accounts here. I have two scenarios:

1. My university provides "forwarding accounts" for alumni, which means they give us a permanent email address and that mail sent to that email address will automatically be forwarded to another email address that we keep on file for them. There is no webmail, imap, or pop access to this forwarding address. I successfully registered my primary email account (e.g. me[at]yyyy.net) with spamcop (the address that the alumni address forwards to), but when I try to register the alumni address, I always get an error: "The email sample you submitted for xxx[at]alumni.x.edu appears to traverse more than one domain. Please ensure that you configure each mailhost individually and in order." Of course, the email that I sent to spamcop for verification was the email that landed in my <me[at]yyyy.net> account, forwarded from the xxx[at]alumni.x.edu account. Does this mean that I cannot register the xxx[at]alumni.x.edu account at all, or am I doing something wrong here?

2. I have several forwarding accounts (aliases) associated with my personal (hosted) domain (e.g. yyyy.net), and they dump email into several different actual email accounts associated with my domain. For example, I have an alias for <friendster[at]yyyy.net> that dumps mail into main account, <me[at]yyyy.net>. I also have other actual mail accounts on the domain, such as <store[at]yyyy.net>. All these accounts go through the same mail servers associated with yyyy.net. I have registered <me[at]yyyy.net>, and from what I read in the FAQ, I'm assuming that I do not need to register any other accounts associated with yyyy.net. Is this correct?

Thanks for reading (and maybe replying to) my message!

Thanks for reading (and maybe replying to) my message!

There is no need to forward email once picked up by SpamCop for filtering

remove forwarding addresses and pick your filtered email direct from

pop.spamcop.net

SpamCop's servers are faster than you can receive.

Sorted email can be checked (reported and or forwarded/deleted) by going to

http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog

petzl, there is no mention of a spamcop account here that I see.

I will answer 2 first because it is the simpler case.

2. All accounts going to yyy.net are protected by the one mailhost entry.

1. You say you successfully registered yyy.net. Does it show up on your mailhost page? If so, there is nothing you are doing wrong that I can see. Please see the pinned announcement titled: Pinned: Mailhost Issues - please read before posting - Please Read BEFORE Posting for the next step.

If the yyy.net host does not show up on the Mailhost page, this is similiar to another thread currently being seen. There may be a problem with the mailhost registration system.

petzl, there is no mention of a spamcop account here that I see.

Sorry--I have no spamcop email account. StevenUnderwood is right. I should have been more clear. Is the registration only for people who have spamcop email accounts? I use spamcop to report spam, and I assumed that this step was necessary for us as well.

1. You say you successfully registered yyy.net. Does it show up on your mailhost page? If so, there is nothing you are doing wrong that I can see. Please see the pinned announcement titled: Pinned: Mailhost Issues - please read before posting - Please Read BEFORE Posting for the next step.

yyy.net does show up as registered. I guess my question then becomes: do I need to register "forward-only accounts" like the one I described, xxx[at]alumni.x.edu? If I do, then I guess I will report my problem in detail, as mentioned in the pinned post you mentioned above.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

the registration only for people who have spamcop email accounts? I use spamcop to report spam, and I assumed that this step was necessary for us as well.

Mailhost registration is for the reporting side of the business, so you you should register your hosts.

yyy.net does show up as registered. I guess my question then becomes: do I need to register "forward-only accounts" like the one I described, xxx[at]alumni.x.edu? If I do, then I guess I will report my problem in detail, as mentioned in the pinned post you mentioned above.

Yes, you should register your forwarding account because that will add headers to your messages that need to be known.

You may be unable to directly register your Univeristy account due to the method they use for forwarding the mail. Take a look at the full headers of one of your forwarded messages. The odds are that there is a third domain involved that you are unaware of and have no direct access with that the university account forwards through before it gets to your personal account. You will need to get the help of the deputies and have them manually do it for you. They will need a copy of the error message email you keep getting each time you try. A lot of business accounts have the similar problem, including mine at work, so I have not registered that one. They seem to want to handle spam their own way. But that is a very unique situation.

As StevenUnderwood stated, see Mailhost Issues - please read before posting, Please Read BEFORE Posting for instructions on how to proceed.

I apologize if I should be starting a new topic, but my issue seemed so similar to copacetic's that it's eerie...

Also this is my first post and I'm a spamcop newb. I use thunderbird v1.5.0.5 (20060719) with an IMAP server. expert computer user.

Like copacetic, I have a forwarding account for alumni (which primarily gets spam at the moment) and an active account at a university. So my email addresses are myemail[at]x.yyy.edu and myemail[at]alumni.yyy.edu.

currently, myemail[at]alumni.yyy.edu forwards to myemail[at]x.yyy.edu.

I registered myemail[at]x.yyy.edu, selecting all (relays?) and was able to get success messages (finally) after 4 attempts (discussed more below). BUT, when I tried to register myemail[at]alumni.yyy.edu, I got the account config emails, used the method that was successful in registering my previous email, and never got any additional success replies.

However, when I looked at the mailhosts tab, it only lists the alumni.yyy.edu address under Hosts/Domains.

Since I followed the instructions re - registration order, I'm not going to do anything else until I hear from somebody. But I thought it odd that I don't see both registered email addresses, and that I didn't get more success messages.

Re- failures replying to test msgs prior to success

First, I fwded the messages inline (with show all headers ON). I got a reply that the headers were mangled.

2nd, I fwded the messages by starting a new email for each, copy paste reply address, and copy/paste email source (CTRL-U,CTRL-A,CTRL-C). same reply

3rd, I fwded the messages as attachments (although I did try to attach them all to one email). same reply

4th (and finally success) I copy/paste source to the webpage at:

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhreturn

So.. until I understand why the outcomes discussed above happened, I'll just paste spam I get into spamcop I guess (it sure would be easier to fwd it!). Please advise, and thank you!

ARoo :blink:

However, when I looked at the mailhosts tab, it only lists the alumni.yyy.edu address under Hosts/Domains.

If the hosts are all listed under the same mailhost config, only the last address configured will show. If you click the pulldown next to Hosts/Domains:, you will likely see both subdomains listed. If so, it sounds like you are correctly configured and ready to begin testing the reporting for these accounts.

So.. until I understand why the outcomes discussed above happened, I'll just paste spam I get into spamcop

And yet, this is "the test" ... does the parsing identify the source of the spam or try to target your host?

Archived