Forwarded mail not getting through

Hi,

About two months ago I created a new spamcop.net e-mail account, and had all mail automatically forwarded to spamcop.

This all worked fine until about 24 hours ago, when I stopped receiving mail. I have not received a single message - not even a spam - in over 24 hours, so something is wrong and I am trying to figure out what I need to do. Can someone please help? :(

For starters, I tried sending a message to my regular address (kim[at]marohn-creative.com) as well as my spamcop one, to see. The message sent directly to spamcop went through. The message sent to my regular address and then forwarded to spamcop was returned with the following error:

The original message was received at Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:41:15 -0700

from smtpout.mac.com [17.250.248.47]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

kim-marohn[at]spamcop.net

(reason: 553
)

(expanded from: <kim[at]marohn-creative.com>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mx.spamcop.net.:

>>> RCPT To:<kim-marohn[at]spamcop.net>

<<< 553

550 5.1.1 kim-marohn[at]spamcop.net... User unknown

see what's up

I then checked to see if my domain (marohn-creative.com) had been blocked by spamcop and spamhaus, but it is not.

This is as far as I've got. Now I'm stuck. If anyone can tell me what I need to do in order to have my forwarded message accepted once again by spamcop, and if there is anything I can do to avoid this happening in the future, I'd be very grateful!

TIA,

Kim Marohn

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mx.spamcop.net.:

>>> RCPT To:<kim-marohn[at]spamcop.net>

<<< 553 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=69.36.179.181

550 5.1.1 kim-marohn[at]spamcop.net... User unknown

see what's up [/indent]

I then checked to see if my domain (marohn-creative.com) had been blocked by spamcop and spamhaus, but it is not.

It does not matter if your domain IP has been blocked. The error message seems to have indicated the problem. The mail server your domain uses is listed at spamhaus. http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=69.36.179.181

About a month ago, spamcop needed to implement some blocking of incoming messages (rather than accepting and filtering to Held Mail) because of a large surge of spam coming in. You should contact JT at support[at]spamcop.net to see if he can whitelist that IP address for you or turn off the blocking again.

... I then checked to see if my domain (marohn-creative.com) had been blocked by spamcop and spamhaus, but it is not. ...
Well, per the SpamHaus links you give, your marohn-creative.com mail exchange server 69.36.179.181 is listed
69.36.179.181 is listed in the XBL, because it appears in:

* CBL

-and those and a couple of others are currently shown in http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=69.36.179.181

About a month ago, spamcop needed to implement some blocking of incoming messages (rather than accepting and filtering to Held Mail) because of a large surge of spam coming in. You should contact JT at support[at]spamcop.net to see if he can whitelist that IP address for you or turn off the blocking again.

I can get email accounts at LOTS of providers that block, rather than filter, mail. One of the reasons I'm paying for two SC email accounts is so that almost *none* of my incoming messages are blocked, but rather filtered into Held Mail so that I can communicate even with "bad" senders.

My accounts are up for renewal in a few days, and I might simply cancel them if JT doesn't change this. I'm hoping that other account holders will write to support at cesmail dot net and complain LOUDLY. Back in October, JT was quoted by Steven on this topic:

...because of the recent explosion of spam we are having to reject

some messages outright instead of letting them in and filtering them.

We're working on installing new equipment within the next week.

Hopefully that will allow us to remove the block entirely.

I note that JT has not been logged in here in the forums in over TWO MONTHS! He hasn't answered recent messages I've sent to the support address, either. I think the prospect of losing paying customers just might get his attention.

DT

Well, per the SpamHaus links you give, your marohn-creative.com mail exchange server 69.36.179.181 is listed-and those and a couple of others are currently shown in http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=69.36.179.181

Yes, I see. I ran my IP address through the spamhaus SBL advisory lookup this morning, and it came back as green for all three. Now you (and I) have just tried it again, and it is listed in the XBL.

(I wonder if it is possible that it is now bouncing on and off lists somewhere, out there in cyberspace, which is apparently now riddled with "zombie computers", to boot!)

I have deactivated my forwarding rule, and am now back to receiving spam (sigh!!!!).

I will see what I can do about getting myself removed from the CBL, and whitelisted.

As DavidT says, this IS annoying, because I am back where I was two months ago.

Thanks again,

Kim Marohn

Kim,

I sent a "test" email message to your "kim" address about two hours ago, but I don't know if you received it or not. I didn't receive any error message, so it might have wound up in a black hole.

DT

David,

I did receive a test e-mail from Steven U, sent to my spamcop.net address.

I did not see any "test" messages from you in my "kim" mailbox at marohn-creative.com. However, like I said in my last post, I have had to remove my forwarding rule, and am back to receiving (it seems) my good mail once again with a whole bunch of spam. I do not know what subject line you sent - could I have mistaken it for spam and deleted it?

Meanwhile, I have contacted my hosting service to see if they can shed any light on to why my IP address has turned up on the CBL. And - fingers crossed and holding my breath here - more importantly - can the problem be fixed.

I am a veeeery very small home-office user here, and have been using pop.spamcop.net along with smtp.myfrenchprovider.fr. So mail, technically, doesn't even REALLY get sent from here. I am just worried now that my IP address hasn't been forged or commandeered by some mad spammer or - worse yet - some mindless bot-type "thing".

I hope that JT becomes available to us soon, and that we can get the whitelist sorted, or at least the automatic blocks removed. I WAS very happy with my spamcop service when it worked!

Thanks again for all your comments,

Cheers,

Kim

A quick end to the story - in case anyone else reading this thread is having the same problem.

My hosting service wrote to tell me that I am on a shared IP. So even though I am not sending anything, someone else on my IP probably does have a sending virus or worm. Even if the address is removed from CBL, chances are it will show up again.

I can request a dedicated IP for a dollar more a month.

While this, in THEORY, should solve the problem of my IP turning up on block lists, it still does not address the issue that spamcop is apparently turning down blocked senders, rather than receiving and filtering all mail, like promised.

Again, as David T said, anyone with this specific problem should write to support at cesmail dot net.

Cheers,

Kim

Again, as David T said, anyone with this specific problem should write to support at cesmail dot net.

Just got a reply from JT as follows:

No problem. We have dropped using anything except the Spamhaus SBL.

These are essentially rogue ISP's, the worst of the worst. This isn't a

dynamic list based on proxies or viruses or whatever. All netblocks are

manually added by Spamhaus staff.

I'd be surprised if there were significant false positives based on this

list.

We'll look into removing this list, but 99.9% of what it blocks is spam,

so the net result will basically just be letting in more spam from known

spammers. On average, that will definitely be a negative.

Jeff

Just got a reply from JT

Well, I didn't. I sent direct responses to my "SpamCop Renewal" messages that have gone unanswered, as well as other messages sent to the "support" address. Since JT seems to prioritize your messages, Steven, perhaps you would be kind enough as to ask him to respond to mine? I'd certainly appreciate it, because my email accounts expire in less than a week, and I'm not inclined to send JT any more money until he bothers to give me the time of day.

Thanks,

DT

Archived