Can't report spam. SpamCop just generates an error.

frewfrux

When I report spam I get a message from SpamCop AutoResponder with the subject "[spamCop] Errors encountered". The email says:

"SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:"

It then attaches the spam to the email.

I'm not sure how SpamCop could not find the spam. It found enough af it to attach it to the response. I've now reported 13 spams and the response has been the same with each one. I am reporting them by forwarding the email (I don't know if that makes a difference).

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure how SpamCop could not find the spam. It found enough af it to attach it to the response. I've now reported 13 spams and the response has been the same with each one. I am reporting them by forwarding the email (I don't know if that makes a difference).

Am I doing something wrong?

Are you forwarding as attachment? A simple forward will not include the important headers spamcop needs.

Have you checked the FAQ here or on the SpamCop web pages? Specifically, "How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email?" located at: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

You don't mention what email program you are using, so that is as far as I can get you.

I'm not sure how SpamCop could not find the spam. It found enough af it to attach it to the response.
I'll bet if you scrutinize that error message carefully, you'll find that the spam you submitted doesn't have the full headers with it.

The most common reason you get an error message is because the full headers were not present in the spam you submitted. SpamCop needs to see the entire path the message took on its way to you so it can track the spam back to the source.

Maybe these FAQs will help:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/17.html

If your mail client supports it, using the "Forward as attachment" function to send the spam as an email attachment to your 'submit' address is the best way.

SpamCop is looking for the full headers in one contiguous block of text, followed by a blank line, which signals the end of the headers, and then followed by the body text of the spam. The parse won't accept headers if there is no body text with them.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Are you forwarding as attachment? A simple forward will not include the important headers spamcop needs.

No, I was simply forwarding the emails. This is good to know. Thank you.

Have you checked the FAQ here or on the SpamCop web pages? Specifically, "How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email?" located at: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

The sentance "How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email?" means nothing to me (I am dumb). How am I supposed to know that forwarding my email does not reveal the full, unmodified email? That is why I did not read it. I will, now that I know. Again, thank you.

I'll bet if you scrutinize that error message carefully, you'll find that the spam you submitted doesn't have the full headers with it.

That may be so. However, I have no idea what a "full header" looks like, but I think I am about to find out.

Yup...after skimming them it looks like they will help a lot. Thank you very much. :)

No, I was simply forwarding the emails. This is good to know. Thank you.

I'm pleased the issue proves to be something straightforward for you :)

Meanwhile, as a newcomer you'll want to remember that reporting alone doesn't stop the spam reaching you. You also need to implement some form of filtering based on the SCBL to get the full advantage.

Just reporting is great for those of us that do filter based on the SCBL - so thanks for your interest in reporting spam.

Andrew

...so thanks for your interest in reporting spam.

np. I figure the more people who report it the better spam filters will work. Right? The catch -for me- is that it is a little bit of a learning curve.

I hope my reports help. Currently the spam that I get all manages to get through my spam filter (and it's set at the highest possible level without filtering everything). Argh. If I notice this spam starts to get caught by the filter I will feel very good about all this reporting. :)

<snip>
How am I supposed to know that forwarding my email does not reveal the full, unmodified email?
<snip>

...That's a really good question. The best I can find is the link in the Sign up for SpamCop reporting page (which you should have seen before [or is it after?] you signed up for SpamCop reporting) labeled "What do I need to know to start reporting spam?" which includes the text:

Revealing Full Headers

Once a recipient determines that an email really is spam, the recipient needs to reveal the full email headers to report it accurately to SpamCop. Without full headers, SpamCop will report an error. Getting full headers from an email software is often a hurdle to reporting spam. Most email software is not clear about how to get full headers. However, practically all email software provides a way to get full headers. Consult the email software's FAQ to learn how to get the headers from the software.
Would that have been sufficient (I'm not sure it would have been, for me!) or had you in fact noticed it but it didn't tell you that enough (I don't remember having seen it when I signed up and I doubt it would have been sufficient for me if I had -- I can't remember how I found out I needed to forward as attachment -- probably by reading SpamCop Forum thread "Forwarding As Attachment in Outlook 2003", before which I was probably using the web form for submitting spam to the SpamCop parser).

...That's a really good question. The best I can find is the link in the Sign up for SpamCop reporting page (which you should have seen before [or is it after?] you signed up for SpamCop reporting) labeled "What do I need to know to start reporting spam?" which includes the text:Would that have been sufficient (I'm not sure it would have been, for me!) or had you in fact noticed it but it didn't tell you that enough (I don't remember having seen it when I signed up and I doubt it would have been sufficient for me if I had -- I can't remember how I found out I needed to forward as attachment -- probably by reading SpamCop Forum thread "Forwarding As Attachment in Outlook 2003", before which I was probably using the web form for submitting spam to the SpamCop parser).

It definitely was not for me! I had no idea that there was a difference in 'forwarding' and 'forwarding as attachment' and even if I did know that there was a difference, I would not have had a clue on how to find out how to change the preferences. The forum didn't exist then, but posters in the ngs were very helpful.

That's why I always ask if new reporters know about 'forwarding as attachment' and tell them to look in the user created FAQ for how to 'forward as attachment' when I answer a question like the OP's.

Getting full headers was total geek to me and not at all helpful.

Miss Betsy

... Getting full headers was total geek to me and not at all helpful.
I can certainly relate to that, it's one heck of a learning curve for us mere users. I had the advantage of someone who was computer literate by my side when I started, that made it so easy! So we try to make the FAQs (particularly those we contribute) take the place of a personal advisor. A "big ask", as we have found - it generally needs some context and guidance as well, THEN the FAQs make some/more sense.

I hope my reports help. Currently the spam that I get all manages to get through my spam filter (and it's set at the highest possible level without filtering everything). Argh. If I notice this spam starts to get caught by the filter I will feel very good about all this reporting. :)

Did you ever say what kind of filter you are using?

If you have a spamcop account, then I know there are discussions on how to set the filters so that almost no spam gets through.

However, unless you are using a filter that uses the spamcop blocklist, reporting will not affect whether or not the spam is caught. There are filters, like Mailwasher, that do use the spamcop blocklist. You might get some tips on how to set your filter from the discussions. Filter setting is an art, IMHO.

However, all the people who do use the spamcop blocklist to filter spam will appreciate the reporting you do - and perhaps even some server admins who get a heads up that spam is coming from their server. for responsible server admins, spamcop serves as an early warning system for viruses or wrong settings before the IP address is put on lists that are not easy to get removed from.

Miss Betsy

Finding it somewhat odd that no one has mentioned the data/details found "here" .... step-by-step walk-throughs in the How to use ... Forum section .. the How I/We use ..... documents developed/posted by other users .... and yes, of course, al pointed to from the SpamCop FAQ links provided at the top f the page ....

Finding it somewhat odd that no one has mentioned the data/details found "here" .... step-by-step walk-throughs in the How to use ... Forum section .. the How I/We use ..... documents developed/posted by other users .... and yes, of course, al pointed to from the SpamCop FAQ links provided at the top f the page ....
...Not really odd ... the OP (IIUC) was asking how (s)he could have known that (s)he needed to forward as attachment before having come to our Forum. IOW, it should not be necessary to come to the Forums to ask the question -- that bit of information should be provided to new reporting users during the sign-up process or within the e-mail that welcomes new reporting users.

Archived