Mailer-Daemon messages when reporting Spam

wingpeople

I've been reporting spam to SpamCop for many months, and have had problems on occassion where my report (I'm forwarding spam as an attachment) bounces back to me almost instantly. Here's a sample from today (I've replaced my own email address to be me[at]xxxxx and truncated most of the forwarded spam):

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at gem-wbe14.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<submit.16Character A-N[at]spam.spamcop.net>:

68.178.232.61 failed after I sent the message.

Remote host said: 554 mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0)

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <me[at]xxxxx>

Received: (qmail 30942 invoked by uid 99); 15 Feb 2007 18:13:16 -0000

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:13:16 -0700

Subject:

To: SpamCop <submit.16Character A-N[at]spam.spamcop.net>

Message-ID: <20070215111316.4a12c6023010cdfc95c170a19e72b09b.36363b51d3.wbe[at]email.secureserver.net>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: MULTIPART/mixed; BOUNDARY="-901749315-858472018-1171563196=:20556"

User-Agent: Web-Based Email 4.9.14

X-Originating-IP: 71.208.66.107

---901749315-858472018-1171563196=:20556

Content-Type: TEXT/html; CHARSET=US-ASCII

---901749315-858472018-1171563196=:20556

Content-Type: MESSAGE/rfc822;

name="A HITCH-FREE BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP.eml"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: BINARY

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="A HITCH-FREE BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP.eml"

Received: (qmail 552 invoked by uid 1000); 15 Feb 2007 16:10:29 -0000

Today, I waited an hour and tried sending the message again, with the same result. This only seems to happen about 5% of the time when I try reporting spam, and I use the same steps to report all spam (forwarding as an attachment, using the same "to:" address from my contact list).

Is this a problem with SpamCop, something to do with certain spam being forwarded, or a problem with my email provider, or....???

The important part is:

68.178.232.61 failed after I sent the message.

Remote host said: 554 mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0)

68.178.232.61 resolves to relay.secureserver.net, which I don't believe handles spamcops messages. This means that one of the relay steps at your ISP is rejecting the message. I'm guessing they detect it is spam and reject it.

Unfortunately, the error they have provided is not very helpful. It doesn't say why it was rejected, or give you any course of action to take. I would try to contact your ISP to find out if this is indeed their server, and if so, find out why it is rejecting your email. Unfortunately, being a real technical question, its likely to take you several tries before you get a technician with a clue.

The "secureserver.net" indicates that GoDaddy.com hosting is involved, as does the "User-Agent: Web-Based Email 4.9.14," which seems to indicate that you're using a webmail client to submit these emails. What's probably happening is that the internal checking being done by the GoDaddy mail servers are detecting the spammyness of the attachments and are refusing to pass them on. I think you'll have to find another way to submit, if even slightly different, because I don't think GoDaddy offers much in the way of information about their spam protection or options to bypass that protection. You might call their Tech Support, however, assuming that you're in the US.

One problem with what you've shown us above.....you've exposed your personalized SpamCop "submit" address ("submit.CHy...etc.") which isn't good. You should immediately edit that out of your post.

DT

One problem with what you've shown us above.....you've exposed your personalized SpamCop "submit" address ("submit.CHy...etc.") which isn't good. You should immediately edit that out of your post.

And request a new submit address from the deputies stating it may have been comprimised in the forums.

deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net

Thanks! If I could find the link, button, or any other hint as to how to edit my post, I would certainly do that.

I have requested a new "submit" address.

And I'll make a point to keep checking back for replies, since the option "You are currently receiving email notification of replies" displayed under "Post Options" doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks! If I could find the link, button, or any other hint as to how to edit my post, I would certainly do that.
Done. No record kept of the address prior to munging so you are on your own in terms of needing to contact deputies or service[at]admin.spamcop. (I meant to keep a secure copy JIC but muffed it.) Anyway, you know what it is.

<snip>

...For a limited time after you post, there should be a blue button labeled "+ Edit" under the right-hand side of your message, to the left of the buttons labeled "+ Quote" and " Reply." It goes away after a certain period of time. See link labeled "Help" near top right of Forum screens under the "Reporting Server Status" graphic; on the Help page, click the link labeled "Posting."

Archived