Held Mail folder empty!

For the last few days, when I access my Held Mail folder using browser/webmail, I find it empty! That has never happened before. Usually I access webmail every few days and delete the Held Mail folder. When I do this, it usually has accumulated several thousand spams...

Is something broken? Is this the right place to report this problem?

Oh, and also the webmail login is taking a long time to respond....

Gary

Usually I access webmail every few days and delete the Held Mail folder.

Is something broken? Is this the right place to report this problem?

Nothing broken that I've seen ... However, I have to point out that 'deleting folders' isn't the normal way to handle accumulated spam. The fact that you say you delete the 'default system assigned' folder (and suggest repeatedly) just doesn't sound like a good idea. It s possible that a bad situation with your account settings, database, and hard-drive files may have developed.

Oh, and also the webmail login is taking a long time to respond....

There are a number of SpamCop FAQ entries here that already exist for things to check, possibilites involved .... the scenario above is somewhat outside of most of those entries, again, deleting 'system / default' folders is a bit out of the norm ....

You regularly have "several thousand spams" accumulating in several days? Sounds like you *might* be the owner of a domain who is using a "catch-all" email address that allows in messages to any possible address at your domain, which is no longer a "best practice" and is strongly discouraged. Not doing that, are you?

DT

• 5 weeks later...

I have had this same problem for the past week or two and it seems that all of the spam that used to be trapped in held mail is now being forwarded to the account that I set up for forwarding. Appreciate any help on this.

C

I have had this same problem for the past week or two and it seems that all of the spam that used to be trapped in held mail is now being forwarded to the account that I set up for forwarding. Appreciate any help on this.

You should check your webmail account settings to be sure "Tag Only" is not checked. If all of your messages are being forwarded, it sounds like that is what happened.

If that is not the problem, you will need to look at the headers of your spam messages to determine why they are being forwarded. You can paste the x-spam* and x-spamcop* headers here if you need help.

Thanks Steven,

I think I figured it out. I was forwarding messages from my general email address and had that URL whitelisted and so it was letting everything through. I found it when I took your suggestion and reviewed the headers. The help is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Archived