Webmail Login Problems

I have noticed that it is very difficult and slow to log in to my webmail account when I have in excess of 100 emails (which is quite usual as I have over that in spam per day). In addition to it being slow it takes me at least 3 tries before it accepts my login and password.

Surprisingly though after I have completely removed all my spam from the system, if I then log out and try again it lets me in almost instantly.

Using the VER method is now absolutely hopeless so if I can't get webmail to perform properly I may have to consider other anti-spam methods. This I do not want to do as I really do like the spamcop concept.

Can anyone offer any light

Isn't this the same issue you;'ve got going on over in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=856 .. waiting for something from JT .. although I thought that issue was actually resolved when you said you'd made it through deleting everything (which of course is going to make JT wonder what the heck I was talking about in my note to him about details over in that Topic) ..???

That topic heading was Slow held mail reporting, Held Mail takes forever, although I did also mention the logging on difficulty the main point was that I could not get rid of my held mail backlog easily because of the slowness of everything which is why I made the posting there. I eventually did manage to get rid of everything which speeded webmail up but not of course the VER reporting. This I did mention in follow up postings on that thread. I had the impression that JT was only going to empty my held mail which I had already managed to do, apologies if he was also going to sort out my logging in difficulty but at that time I had associated it with the high number of held emails I had.

Also I was concerned that the thread title did not however cover the logging in issue which other users may also be experiencing so that is why I started this new thread.

I am sorry if it appears I was ignoring your assistance, I assure you this was not the case.

I have always been a fan of spamcop since joining several years ago but lately things seem to be sliding downhill somewhat.

Limiting the number of messages in the trash folder (or eliminating it all together) is the recomendation made by JT a while back in the newsgroups. Basically what happens the first time you log on each day is it clears out all your old messages (Trash and Held Mail). If there are lots of messages, it takes too long to sort through and the screen times out thinking the login failed. If you wait a few minutes after this failure and try again, you should get right in.

I can not find a pinned document with those recommendations so if nobody else can pull them up, I will go look this evening (I don't have newsgroup access at work) and try to post here for inclusuion in the FAQ.

There are options in webmail for these things.

I empty the trash can regularly but things are still slow so I have today just set up an IMAP account on OE as an experiment.

I was horrified to find 21,784 emails still in my trash folder, all these have lines though them.

I even logged in on webmail and tried to delete the whole folder but was not allowed to, have set the trash to purge on login after trash is over 1 day old, and have tried empty folders but this just times out after doing nothing. Absolutely nothing seems to do the trick

Could someone please empty or delete my trash folder altogether as it has got to be the reason everything is not working properly, might even be the problem why the whole system is slow if similar things are happening on other users' accounts.

I repeat according trash folder itself it says its empty but its a long way of being empty with 21,784 emails in it!

was horrified to find 21,784 emails still in my trash folder

and have now discovered the previously mentioned reason for the slowness issue .. now, if only you hadn't stated over in the other Topic that you had already taken care of everything <g> .... I haven't heard from JT yet (and as you've still got these folders so stuffed, you haven't either) .. but perhaps he'll be along sometime shortly and smack your account mightily <g>

Thought just popped in here .. is there a Purge command available from the toolbar while you're connected via IAMP ... that may be all the kick that's needed ..???

I can not find a pinned document with those recommendations so if nobody else can pull them up, I will go look this evening (I don't have newsgroup access at work) and try to post here for inclusuion in the FAQ.

Well, I can not locate the recomendations by JT on speeding up the webmail system by limiting the number of days held etc. I can only get the newsgroups to go back to 1/12/2004.

If he sees this, perhaps he will restate it

Steven .. I believe this is what you were looking for ... and maybe a better description for bstock also ..?? (from Topic at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=416 )

I've been having problems with my login ... it takes about 3 or 4 times for me to be allowed in ... I've been having problems emptying my held mail folder too.

The problem with logging in is that you have 37,000 messages in your trash folder. Here's what happens. Every time you login, the IMAP server goes through your trash and deletes everything older than 20 days. However, with that many messages in your trash, it takes a while to go through all of them and the IMAP server doesn't let anything else happen in the meantime. The webmail system thinks that the login failed, when it's really just taking a long time.

Now, we made some changes a couple months ago that really improved this. Before, you would have been locked out entirely. Now, you have to login several times. Actually, you could probably wait 3 or 4 minutes and the second login would work every time.

That's not a very good answer, though. You don't want to have to fool with that at all.

There are several things you can do in webmail to help.

In the webmail options, you can turn off moving deleted messages to the trash. When you delete them, they're just gone.

You can also tell webmail to delete messages from the trash more than, say, 3 days old. That will keep it more manageable.

You can try to remember to empty the trash yourself each time you're done with webmail. There's an icon for that.

I'm in the process of emptying your trash, so it should work better for you from here on out.

That was it exactly. I thought it was from newsgroup timeframe so I did not search here originally. A subsequent search for posts by jefft did not turn up this message, but again, I concentrated on older posts with no firm memory about a certain phrase that was used.

Thank you very much.

Thanks everyone, the problems JodiMuse was experiencing look very similar.

Like JodiMuse I regularly pressed the purge button, I was away for one week but 20,000 plus emails in one week seem unbelievable, I did have 2700 or so my held mail folder so I can only presume that when I tried to delete those and failed that they gradually piled up in the trash and remained were they were as well awaiting another deletion - sorry really don't know and don't have a clue just making wild guesses now.

This morning logged on and maintenance informed me that the trash purging in progress, it eventually finished but everything seemed the same. OK webmail is faster than it was but it takes forever to try to open the trash folder and my imap on OE is still reporting 20672 entries so it appears they are well and truly stuck.

Have set webmail so that deleted mail does not go to trash in future but the main problem is geting rid of what is already there

Will await JT's intervention.

Suppose I should have read all the imap instructions before I dived in but have just discovered the purge command when you leave folders on OE.

This miraculously cleared my trash for me.

Thought just popped in here .. is there a Purge command available from the toolbar while you're connected via IAMP ...  that may be all the kick that's needed ..???

Sorry you missed thais one also <g>

Glad you got it kicked. Saw JT made a post over in the nesgroups, so we know he's alive .. but guess you got it solved before he got here .. Again, congrats!

Sorry Wazoo,

I can be a bit thick sometimes.

I knew absolutely nothing about imap until I read Jeff G.'s Guide to accessing SpamCop email, using OE and IMAP at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...opic=87&hl=imap

Managed to get it all set up but

Thought just popped in here .. is there a Purge command available from the toolbar while you're connected via IAMP ...  that may be all the kick that's needed ..???

I thought you meant the empty trash buttom in webmail

- told you I can be a bit thick didn't I

Not to worry somehow everything worked out

Thanks again for your help and patience

Bye for now (until my next problem)

Archived