SPAMCOP HOME · SPAMCOP FAQ · NEWSGROUPS · FORUM FAQ · WEBMAIL · SSL WEBMAIL · SPAMCOPWIKI

Other words, data, places -->  SpamCop Pages V  FAQs & Words V  Newsgroups V  WebMail V  News-Recent Stuff V   Poll on menu

------>------> Latest and Current Announcements <------<------

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> This is a User to User Support Forum

The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. (please remember this at all times!)
Another try:
This forum is composed of people who have used spamcop and those who are learning about anti-spam efforts.

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Resolved] Reporting defaults have changed
mrmaxx
post Nov 4 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Memberp
Member No.: 369

QUOTE(Jeff G. @ Nov 4 2005, 10:24 AM)
Sorry, the people "who can actually DO something about the problem" don't post here.  I wish they did.

Yeah... me too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) *sigh* Oh, well... Wish I could remember Julian's email... Hmm... <EVIL GRIN>
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bobbear
post Nov 6 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Membera
Member No.: 36

QUOTE(DCSmooth @ Nov 3 2005, 09:58 AM)
I understand this bug already has been reported and the topic has been pinned.  However, since someone above has expressed a preference for keeping the default as all checked, I just wanted to point out a very important argument for restoring the default to all unchecked.

Just to clarify my expressed preference, (perhaps I did not express myself very clearly!), I am not in favour of any third party reports settings being set by default, what I am in favour of is the extra options that have been implemented which allow me to unset the 'third party copies option' whilst having the 'personal copies option' set which was not previously the case. I agree entirely that default settings of all options should be for the 'fail-safe' option of unset, but, (to allow the user to modify the settings as he pleases), radio buttons could be available for 'Personal copies of outgoing reports' and 'Public standard report recipients' to allow flexibility for the people like me who prefer the 'Personal copies of outgoing reports' to remain checked for all spam.

--------------------
Fraudsters Log.. http://www.bobbear.net/
+Quote Post
Dave_L
post Nov 15 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

QUOTE(Jeff G. @ Nov 2 2005, 04:43 PM)
This behavior is considered to be a bug by at least two Deputies, and has been reported as such.

So two weeks have passed, and the bug is still present. I just accidentally sent report copies to several inapplicable addresses, because I forgot to uncheck them.
+Quote Post
mshalperin
post Nov 16 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Membera
Member No.: 1712

QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 15 2005, 07:24 PM)
I just accidentally sent report copies to several inapplicable addresses, because I forgot to uncheck them.

I agree. OTOH there may be some value in sending the SEC reports about penis enlargers...
+Quote Post
turetzsr
post Nov 16 2005, 08:51 AM
Post #25

T-shirt wearing out
Group Icon

Group: Membersph
Member No.: 59

QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 15 2005, 07:24 PM)
So two weeks have passed, and the bug is still present.  I just accidentally sent report copies to several inapplicable addresses, because I forgot to uncheck them.
...Please remember that now, as has always been the case, it is your responsibility to ensure that the addresses to which SpamCop offers to send reports on your behalf are reasonable. Thanks!

--------------------
..Regards,
...Steve T

...A Happy SpamCop.net reporting user (not an employee)
...Please avoid replying via e-mail, as it is not secure
+Quote Post
Dave_L
post Nov 16 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(turetzsr @ Nov 16 2005, 09:51 AM)
...Please remember that now, as has always been the case, it is your responsibility to ensure that the addresses to which SpamCop offers to send reports on your behalf are reasonable. Thanks!

turetzsr, that was a little condescending.

This concerns a known bug in the reporting interface. The people who maintain that interface also have a responsibility, to ensure that it works properly.

This post has been edited by Dave_L: Nov 16 2005, 09:53 AM
+Quote Post
turetzsr
post Nov 16 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #27

T-shirt wearing out
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 16 2005, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE(turetzsr @ Nov 16 2005, 08:51 AM)
turetzsr,
Hi, Dave_L,
..."turetzsr" is simply my login ID. Please address me as "Steve T." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) <g> [ <-- not a serious complaint ] Thank you!
that was a little condescending.
...I'm sorry (I think) that you found my reminder, which was a simple factual statement, condescending. It was not intended to be.
This concerns a known bug in the reporting interface.  The people who maintain that interface also have a responsibility, to ensure that it works properly.
...Not really, IMHO. I have seen no such obligation stated anywhere. Since I am not paying for this service, I have absolutely no legitimate claim on their time or any particular feature of the service. Whether it is a bug has not been fully discussed and despite an earlier post by a SpamCop representative that he believes it to be, I would be willing to accept a claim that the way it used to work was a bug and that bug has been fixed. In any event, be this bug or feature, it is the responsibility of us users to ensure that reports sent by SpamCop on our behalf are sent to e-mail addresses that seem reasonable.

--------------------
..Regards,
...Steve T

+Quote Post
Wazoo
post Nov 16 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #28

What Life?
Group Icon

Group: Forum Admin
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(mrmaxx @ Nov 4 2005, 08:11 AM)
Nooo, not really. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I mean a real "Oops. We see the problem, we know where the problem is, should be fixed in a bit." That was just a "Oops. I can verify the problem. Bug Report filed." I do that all the time with MY users, so I know exactly what that means... it means "I've informed someone who can actually DO something about the problem and it'll get fixed when they get around to fixing it."

QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 16 2005, 08:52 AM)
This concerns a known bug in the reporting interface.  The people who maintain that interface also have a responsibility, to ensure that it works properly.

http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-...ber/106401.html
Though I'd really suggest reading the whole thread. The "one can assume" thing has been the 'norm' for years.
+Quote Post
Nisse
post Nov 16 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 4206

QUOTE(turetzsr @ Nov 16 2005, 04:07 PM)
Since I am not paying for this service, I have absolutely no legitimate claim on their time or any particular feature of the service.

Well, I am paying for the service, and I think it's only common courtesy to let us know whether this is going to be fixed, and if not, why not.
+Quote Post
Dave_L
post Nov 16 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #30

I also pay for the service, and have been doing so for several years.

This post has been edited by Dave_L: Nov 16 2005, 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
Wazoo
post Nov 16 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #31

What Life?
Group Icon

Over and above the "The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. (please remember this at all times!)" placed at the top of the pages here, please see Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff
+Quote Post
turetzsr
post Nov 16 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #32

T-shirt wearing out
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nisse @ Nov 16 2005, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE(turetzsr @ Nov 16 2005 @ 04:07 PM)
Since I am not paying for this service, I have absolutely no legitimate claim on their time or any particular feature of the service.
Well, I am paying for the service, and I think it's only common courtesy to let us know whether this is going to be fixed, and if not, why not.
...IMHO, paying customers like you, Nisse, and Dave_L have the right to expect whatever level of service you feel appropriate for the money you are spending and if you don't get it, you should find a provider who will provide that level of service. We say that about ISPs and MSPs and it seems to me the same should apply to SpamCop. Please just weigh the advantages you do receive against the (IMHO, exceedingly minor) expectation that is not being met.

--------------------
..Regards,
...Steve T

+Quote Post
Dave_L
post Nov 16 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #33

Maybe you're missing my point.

I'm not whining about Spamcop's service.

I encountered a problem with the reporting service, and came over here to see if there was any info about it. I found this thread. Since two weeks had elapsed since the problem was first reported, and the problem is still present, I posted an update.
+Quote Post
Wazoo
post Nov 16 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #34

What Life?
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 16 2005, 11:32 AM)

Oh nice, leaving me as the only one who complains? <g>
I encountered a problem with the reporting service, and came over here to see if there was any info about it.  I found this thread.  Since two weeks had elapsed since the problem was first reported, and the problem is still present, I posted an update.

There is no known IronPort staffer currently posting here, the last was during a bit of changes taking place on the www.spamcop.net web-site and that was a long, long time ago. Julian hasn't posted publically in any of the SpamCop.net venues in ages. I have provided links that state the current 'logic' of posting "inside information" as expressed by one of the "official" staff members. There's no intent to give you a hard time, but you are scratching on a point of known frustration. I once again point to an item found in the Announcements section, started off by a posting from Don about a "fix" that was made .. that eventually got tracked down "here" to the original query/report/complaint on that issue .... but the "time passed" is the best that anyone "here" can offer to answer the "when will it get fixed" questions of late.
+Quote Post
turetzsr
post Nov 16 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #35

T-shirt wearing out
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 16 2005, 12:32 PM)
Maybe you're missing my point.

I encountered a problem with the reporting service, and came over here to see if there was any info about it.  I found this thread.  Since two weeks had elapsed since the problem was first reported, and the problem is still present, I posted an update.
...No, I understood that point. But you also wrote:
QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 15 2005 @ 07:24 PM)
<snip>  I just accidentally sent report copies to several inapplicable addresses, because I forgot to uncheck them.
and then you objected to my reminder that it was the responsibility of us users to avoid that mistake as condescending. Then you wrote
QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 16 2005 @ 09:52 AM)
to which I replied
QUOTE(turetzsr @ Nov 16 2005 @ 04:07 PM)
to which you replied
QUOTE(Dave_L @ Nov 16 2005, 11:46 AM)
I also pay for the service, and have been doing so for several years.
which is what prompted my most recent reply.

--------------------
..Regards,
...Steve T

+Quote Post
StevenUnderwood
post Nov 16 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #36

What Life?
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(Nisse @ Nov 16 2005, 11:30 AM)

I am a paying customer of the Email service which gets me an included reporting account. Having been here for several years now, do not hold your breath waiting "to let us know whether this is going to be fixed, and if not, why not." In general, you will know if it has been fixed when it starts working differently.

--------------------
Steven P. Underwood, DNRC
Whitinsville, MA
underwood+forum[at]spamcop.net

-No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.-
+Quote Post
Nisse
post Jan 28 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 4206

This still hasn't been fixed. Can't we at least be told why not? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Wazoo
post Jan 28 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #38

What Life?
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nisse @ Jan 28 2006, 12:42 PM)
This still hasn't been fixed. Can't we at least be told why not?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Apparently, much of the information in even the last batch of posts in this Topic have yet to be made clear enough. How about giving Miss Betsy's last attempt at explaining / offering some data that was posted as and into the Announcements section a read ... Welcome to the SpamCop Forum. Please then follow the links provided.
+Quote Post
turetzsr
post Feb 2 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #39

T-shirt wearing out
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wazoo @ Jan 28 2006, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE(Nisse @ Jan 28 2006, 01:42 PM)
This still hasn't been fixed. Can't we at least be told why not?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
<snip>
How about giving Miss Betsy's last attempt at explaining / offering some data that was posted as and into the Announcements section a read ... Welcome to the SpamCop Forum. Please then follow the links provided.
...That's a perfectly good answer for matters affecting relatively few users or are not acknowledged by a SpamCop employee as bugs, but this doesn't fall into those categories -- it affects everyone who uses user-defined report recipients and has been acknowledged to be a bug by a SpamCop employee * way back on October 31. Three months seems even to me, as a non-paying member, to be too long to have been allowed to elapse with nary one official public word on the matter ("sorry, the one SpamCop programmer has not yet had an opportunity to address this bug but hopes to be able to do so before the end of the second quarter of 2006" or "we have decided that the effort required to fix this bug is not worth the benefit, so it will not be fixed" or "we have decided that the current behavior is actually the behavior we prefer to impose on our users, so it will not be changed" would all be acceptable, at least to me).

--------------------
..Regards,
...Steve T

+Quote Post
Miss Betsy
post Feb 3 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #40

T-shirt wearing out
Group Icon

Member No.: 174

QUOTE(StevenUnderwood @ Nov 16 2005, 12:47 PM)
Having been here for several years now, do not hold your breath waiting "to let us know whether this is going to be fixed, and if not, why not."  In general, you will know if it has been fixed when it starts working differently.

As Wazoo has pointed out several times in this topic, this is a user forum. And what Steven Underwood has said is my experience also.

It is useless to complain or comment in the Help forum. It would be helpful if you have discovered a workaround. Or sometimes one misses something and needs to ask.

However, If you want to, take to the Lounge and vent your frustration! You might find some people who will join in.

The next post in this topic should only be that someone has discovered that it is working differently or asking a question of clarification on how the bug affects reports or suggesting an easier way of working with what is there.

Miss Betsy

--------------------
an almost new internet user
if you don't think your post has been answered sufficiently, please email service[at]admin.spamcop.net
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:23 AM