Popgate, Hotmail & The Weekend Disaster & Thanks

Ex_Brit

My sympathies to those having to deal with the fried circuits at the data center. At least out of this I learned something.

When this started I noticed that my hotmail wasn't being popped, & SC webmail was saying that the password was incorrect, which it wasn't.

Even after the circuits were restored those errors continued to mount.

I tried deleting the setting in SC Webmail> Options> Spamcop Tools> Configure external POP servers and then reinstating it.

The errors continued to today. At this point I got paranoid and even took the trouble of going directly to my hotmail inbox, signing out and signing in again. My password was correct.

It was then that I noticed that hotmail can now be forwarded. The free one never used to have this option, or so I believe. So I discovered something new out of all this. No more popgate - ing!

Thanks to all those who are working on the issues. :)

P.S. I notice the following at the foot of many SC pages....it needs updating.

Copyright © 1998-2006, IronPort Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. HTML4 / CSS2 Firefox recommended - Policies and Disclaimers

What, no comments? I'm surprised especially as you could add that bit about free hotmail/msn mail can now be forwarded to your section on popgate.spamcop.net, which would save problems with any future pop3 server issues.

At this point I got paranoid and even took the trouble of going directly to my hotmail inbox, signing out and signing in again. My password was correct.

More of a question ... way back when, one went to hotmail.com .. grom my side of the screen, I get redirected to live.com, quite a different beast.

It was then that I noticed that hotmail can now be forwarded. The free one never used to have this option, or so I believe. So I discovered something new out of all this. No more popgate - ing!

Eventually I found a 'settings' screen .. yes, I will confirm that one can now have the web-based LiveMail/HotMail application be configured to POP external servers and 'automatucally forward' any incoming e-mail to the Live/HotMail address (with the reminder that if you don't actually login within 270 days, the account gets deleted) to another e-mail address ....

On the othe hand, there still doesn't sem to be any way to set up any forwarding action to use the "as attachment" mode, so still not usefull for trying to handle a SpamCop Parsing submittal from there.

P.S. I notice the following at the foot of many SC pages....it needs updating.

Oh yeah, just another of those dozens of things that could use some work on those 'official' pages .... believe me, Don/Deputies know about the copywrite dates issue, which exists in numerous places beyond the visible web-pages.

FYI - a quote from the NNTP Spamcop Newsgroup:

No, I can't edit html pages, only the faqs. We can also post 'news' on

the main page via a webform we have access to. html pages need to be

changed by IT engineering.

We know the graphs have moved (and we know about the copyright date

thing). These will be changed shortly with the upload of the next

update of SpamCop (and you'll start seeing the Cisco name instead of

Ironport).

As it stands, SC 4.1 (current version) is in lock-down mode except for

absolute emergency coding. SC 4.5 (the new version) is also in lockdown

mode, ready for going live. Any changes we request right now go into

the wish list for 4.6.

Not sure when the upload is going to happen; we've been expecting it for

weeks. Last I heard all the new hardware is finally in place, so it's

just a wait and see situation. All I know is one of these days I'll log

in and see we'll have some new toys (features) to play with that we've

been asking for. The only hint we'll see on the surface is the change

in the copyright notice :-)

Richard

Well I had no idea that Cisco had taken over, so I learned a few things in the last few days.

A number of FAQ updates 'here' .. several Wiki pages added and changed to address that situation .... some previous traffic about copywrites, logos, etc. do exist, thought those that come to mind right now actually dealt with SenderBase pages ..???? It's not like it was done behind closed doors <g>

A number of FAQ updates 'here' .. several Wiki pages added and changed to address that situation .... some previous traffic about copywrites, logos, etc. do exist, thought those that come to mind right now actually dealt with SenderBase pages ..???? It's not like it was done behind closed doors <g>
For those who would rather not search the data base:

Original 2007 forum topic Actual ownership change

Wiki page: SpamCop Staff with links to more information

2007 forum post regarding the copyright issue http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=60357

• 2 weeks later...
See the latest Announcement in this Forum section for some updated information with regards to Microsoft Live HotMail.

So I see, very interesting. Especially the SSL being needed.

Shouldn't this page be changed then? Or doesn't it change that?

Thanks Wazoo.

See the latest Announcement in this Forum section for some updated information with regards to Microsoft Live HotMail.

Wazoo -- those announcements don't seem to carry dates, nor do their icons indicate "unread" status, so please put an "updated" value in the title of that announcement.

DT

Archived