DST change

Wazoo

I've had a report/complaint that a UK resident did not 'see' the DST change-over. Although it was stated that the "use DST" checkbox was 'checked' .. the database didn't show that setting. I suggested that it be toggled, it was stated that this worked.

As the 'automatic' DST change-over worked fine from this side of the screen, also noting that there have been a few updates to TZ data files on both my Debian and Ubuntu systems at the house, and at least one applied to the Forum server in recent weeks, not sure why it would not have worked for all. So asking if there are other folks that had any issue with the last DST change?

So asking if there are other folks that had any issue with the last DST change?

If the time on this post is 08:11 EDT -0500 then it would seem to be ok

"At the bottom right corner of a fully drawn screen, " That works too. {edit}

At the bottom right corner of a fully drawn screen, there should be a date/time string displayed that in theory should reflect the 'correct' time, based on the selectioins made on the My Controls | Options | Board Settings page.

The DST is set to auto. It appears that the DST setting is not working correctly for UK users.

I'm in the UK and the time displayed by the forum is the correct local time, I too have the auto setting box checked.

...If the time on this post is 08:11 EDT -0500 then it would seem to be ok...
OK - I'm lost. I'm +0800, EDT is -0500 that's 13 hours difference but I'm seeing 12 hours difference. It would work if EDT was -0400 :) Which is what the handy timezone calculator recently relegated to the spam bin says it is.

I am based in the UK and the present time is now GMT+1 (BST in operation) but at the bottom of this page the time is shown as GMT+0. The DST is set to auto. It appears that the DST setting is not working correctly for UK users.

Hi

Maybe the difference from the other UK user who chimed in to say his was working is that he joined at a date when DST(BST) was not in operation and you when it was ?

I'm the UK user who complained to Wazoo.

I fixed it by going to My Controls/ web settings and unclicking the DST auto box

This generated a box below [ DST in effect ] which I ticked then hit the save button.

I then clicked the DST auto button again and hit the save button again

HTH

OK - I'm lost. I'm +0800, EDT is -0500 that's 13 hours difference but I'm seeing 12 hours difference. It would work if EDT was -0400 :) Which is what the handy timezone calculator recently relegated to the spam bin says it is.
Yep, my bad.

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use FROM <prrefix>members where name='michaelanglo' or name='Huldin-the-Goth' or name='Farelf' or name='g4mby' or name='Wazoo'

id name time_offset dst_in_use

491 Farelf 8 0

898 g4mby 0 1

6184 Huldin-the-Goth 0 0

117 michaelanglo 0 1

18 Wazoo -6 1

Magic seems to be the 'dst_in_use' variable. Recall that DST in previous versions of the application was not handle automatically. I'm leaning towards that the various updates along the way didn't actually set/re-set this variable for those previously Registered users .. not set/changed from '0' for newer Registered users.

user with 'dst_in_use' not set or intentionally set to '0'

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use FROM <prrefix>members where dst_in_use='0'

5521 rows in set

UK users (or users that never set their TZ) with 'dst_in_use' not set or intentional set to '0'

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use FROM <prrefix>members where dst_in_use='0' and time_offset='0'

272 rows in set

as above, but minus Banned users

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use FROM <prrefix>members where dst_in_use='0' and time_offset='0' and mgroup!='5'

256 rows in set

as above, scoped down to those that have posted

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use FROM <prrefix>members where dst_in_use='0' and time_offset='0' and mgroup!='5' and posts !='0'

166 rows in set

Basically, still a lot of UK users that have either not set the bits or intentionally left things as is (and of course, not posted into this Topic) ... not to ignore that one of the c-owners of the software company and lead-programmer of this app is in fact still libing in the UK ... wondering if there's any reason that someone wouldn't want to follow the DST changes ...???? Before making a single sweeping change of the database and updating all (currently Registered) users, I'll ask for anyone's thoughts on why someone might not want this bit toggeled.

I don't like Daylight Savings Time. My husband changes all the clocks. If I could have my way, if I had to be somewhere at 'their' time, I would just convert it to Standard for my calendar/to-do list. However, if one is active (and not a recluse), that does get a little irritating. However, I didn't change my car clock just to be perverse so possibly they don't change their computer clock for the same reason.

In fact, I think that, at some future date they will find that some common illness is due to the fact that everyone is required to change time twice a year. It's unnatural and unhealthy. If someone wants to play golf later after work, let them go to work an hour earlier. There is almost no one else it benefits.

Miss Betsy

I don't like Daylight Savings Time.
Neither do I (Western Australia) - 3 referendums rejecting it, just coming off a 3 year year trial the previous Govt. introduced anyway. And yet another referendum coming up. Obviously we're going to be made to keep doing it over until we 'get it right'. Highest rate of melanoma in the known universe and they want us to expose our kids to yet more sunlight? A geographer might note that, at location 115 degrees east and with a regular TZ of +0800 we are already 20 minutes in advance of our 'natural' time zone. Why is it the silly kids grow up to be politicians? But I digress. Gotta go reset my gnomon. And check the traps for something for dinner.

Working OK now after off then on with the board preferences.
Thanks for that - seems to be the 'fix' for now, in those cases.

...Before making a single sweeping change of the database and updating all (currently Registered) users, I'll ask for anyone's thoughts on why someone might not want this bit toggeled.
With the possible exception of West Australians next southern summer I can't think why anyone would deliberately elect to stay out of kilter (unless they've got a sticky gnomon). But then the official DST thing is a mite complex to be effecting globally - like even http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst2009a.html is incomplete, how can you know what is 'out of kilter'? And you don't want to go 'resetting' any Arizonans, etc.

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use FROM <prefix>members where name='michaelanglo' or name='Huldin-the-Goth' or name='Farelf' or name='g4mby' or name='Wazoo'

id name time_offset dst_in_use

491 Farelf 8 0

898 g4mby 0 1

6184 Huldin-the-Goth 0 0

117 michaelanglo 0 1

18 Wazoo -6 1

Magic seems to be the 'dst_in_use' variable. Recall that DST in previous versions of the application was not handle automatically. I'm leaning towards that the various updates along the way didn't actually set/re-set this variable for those previously Registered users .. not set/changed from '0' for newer Registered users.

SELECT id,name,time_offset,dst_in_use,members_auto_dst FROM <prefix>members where name='michaelanglo' or name='Huldin-the-Goth' or name='Farelf' or name='g4mby' or name='Wazoo'

id name time_offset dst_in_use members_auto_dst

491 Farelf 8 0 1

898 g4mby 0 1 1

6184 Huldin-the-Goth 1 0 1

117 michaelanglo 0 1 1

18 Wazoo -6 1 1

OK, new info ... code research shows that part of one of the upgrades, there was a new bit added for the 'suto' setting. It would appear that this is the setting that everyone is seeing as 'checked' but the needed bit (dst_in_use) is still set to zero .... this is the bit that's being toggled per michaelanglo's suggestion/work.

...there was a new bit added for the 'suto' setting. It would appear that this is the setting that everyone is seeing as 'checked' but the needed bit (dst_in_use) is still set to zero .... this is the bit that's being toggled per michaelanglo's suggestion/work.
Wow - bullseye with centre-X for michaelanglo. But DST is NOT in use in some locations. I'm guessing that setting was provided to allow for the exemption of Arizona and others, late changes, etc. but that makes no sense to me unless the default is ON. Given that the "Is daylight saving time in effect?" item (checkbox) in "Board Settings" is presented only when "Auto correct DST?" is toggled OFF then it may make some sense to do a global toggle to ON of dst_in_use to suit the majority case. Both checkbox items are then visible and manual intervention by the user will restore the correct time in those instances where it is then wrong. Which, it seems by my trial and logical extension thereof, will be all of the southern hemisphere (regardless of auto setting) which has just come 'off' DST - don't know about Arizona.

Probably the way people in Arizona do it on their computers(if Arizona isn't listed in the time zones list which sometimes it is) is to pick the time zone where it is 'their' time when DST comes in. In the winter it is the time zone east of them and in the summer the time zone west of them.

Miss Betsy

Archived